It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #1

tami p HB User
Angry dont know where else to turn!!

hi my name is tami and i cant take much more. last november i hurt my back at work and these docs have been toying with me since. ive had an mri which showed bulging disc at L4-5 with moderate stenosis and also disc dessication. ive had epidural block and also facet injections. im now seeing a doc at the local pain clinic and she is giving me trigger point injections. is there anyone out there with these problems? if so.....what is the next step? im in pain every day and so far nothing will help. lately ive been noticing that im having more calf pain that feels like there is a rubber band around the back of my calf cutting off the circulation. my legs and feet are very weak. i just had an emg and nerve conduction test on tuesday but no results as of yet. i sure hope someone out there knows these symptoms and can tell me what to do next. do you think this is gonna lead to surgery?

Last edited by tami p; 12-04-2003 at 12:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: dont know where else to turn!!

Hi Tami, welcome to the board, though I'm so sorry for what's brought you here!!
I know exactly how you're feeling and what you're going through! I know only have a bulging disc at L4-5 but also L5S1 and in the neck as well!
It sounds to me that your bulging disc is pinching a nerve ie, sciatica and that's what's causing your calf pain! Do you have radiating pain in your hips or down your legs?? I'm asking because I have sciatica which causes alot of radiating pain and numbness/tingling!
I'm hoping that this isn't your situation 'cause it's been 7yrs for me and counting!! The drs say there's nothing that can be done, other then taking meds and dealing with it!! Apparently it's not in bad enough shape for any surgeon to want to operate, not that I'd want them to anyway LOL!
Please know that you've come to the best place for complete understanding and compassion! I'm here for you, along with many others!! Feel free to ask whatever you like, or just vent away!! Noone understands how frustrating and depressing all this can be then us, take care!!

Your friend, out2lunch

Last edited by out2lunch; 12-04-2003 at 12:54 PM. Reason: doesn't show my sig for some reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #3

tami p HB User

[QUOTE=out2lunch]Hi Tami, welcome to the board, though I'm so sorry for what's brought you here!!
I know exactly how you're feeling and what you're going through! I know only have a bulging disc at L4-5 but also L5S1 and in the neck as well!
It sounds to me that your bulging disc is pinching a nerve ie, sciatica and that's what's causing your calf pain! Do you have radiating pain in your hips or down your legs?? I'm asking because I have sciatica which causes alot of radiating pain and numbness/tingling!
I'm hoping that this isn't your situation 'cause it's been 7yrs for me and counting!! The drs say there's nothing that can be done, other then taking meds and dealing with it!! Apparently it's not in bad enough shape for any surgeon to want to operate, not that I'd want them to anyway LOL!
Please know that you've come to the best place for complete understanding and compassion! I'm here for you, along with many others!! Feel free to ask whatever you like, or just vent away!! Noone understands how frustrating and depressing all this can be then us, take care!!

Your friend, out2lunch[/QUOTE]
dear out2lunch
thank you for your reply. the answer to your question about the hip and thigh....yes yes and yes. its terrible. my left hip is killing me. the doc now says that i have bursitis in the hip because of the way im walking to protect the back. i too was told that this is not a surgical problem but im thinking that somwhere out there i might find a surgeon willing to help. please keep talkin to me. im not on my own computer but i will keep checking my sisters computer for messages and replies. thank you so much again,
tami

Old 12-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Tami, you just reminded me about a few yrs ago when I'd seen this one dr and he'd told me that I had bursitis in the hips and capsilitis in my neck/shoulders!! I'd forgotten all about him! He gave me kenelog shots in my hips (which hurt like H E double hockey sticks LOL), which didn't work and then sent me on my way saying "sorry there's nothing else I can do for you"!! Too much eh?? I'm not saying this will happen to you, I just remembered about it!
Hopefully, if we keep talking to eachother, we'll get through this a little easier! Take care!!

Old 12-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, Tami. I have spinal stenosis, too and DDD. I have had bursitis in my hip off and on for a couple of years. Had a steroid injection twice and both times it helped tremendously with the pain. This is what my doctor told me about the stenosis...when the injections fail, and the stenosis is only mild to moderate, they prefer not to operate...however, is the stenosis is due to disc material then surgery IS an option. I would wonder if the docs are working in your best interests...is this under workmans comp? It may be time to seek another opinion. If surgery is recommended you should probably find an attorney who specializes in workmans comp to fight for you. It is such a shame that people have to fight for what should be given to them willingly. I am really sorry for what you are going through, and hope you find help soon.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 AM   #6

tami p HB User

[QUOTE=carol632]Hi, Tami. I have spinal stenosis, too and DDD. I have had bursitis in my hip off and on for a couple of years. Had a steroid injection twice and both times it helped tremendously with the pain. This is what my doctor told me about the stenosis...when the injections fail, and the stenosis is only mild to moderate, they prefer not to operate...however, is the stenosis is due to disc material then surgery IS an option. I would wonder if the docs are working in your best interests...is this under workmans comp? It may be time to seek another opinion. If surgery is recommended you should probably find an attorney who specializes in workmans comp to fight for you. It is such a shame that people have to fight for what should be given to them willingly. I am really sorry for what you are going through, and hope you find help soon.
Carol [/QUOTE]
Hi Carol, ive had the injections and they have failed. nothing seems to help. i believe the stenosis is being caused from the bulging disc but im not real sure. i do have an attorney....i havent had to fight for anything yet, so far ive been pretty lucky with that. i think ive just been seeing the wrong surgeons. i recently switched docs and im now seeing my family doc. im going to see a new surgeon after the holidays in hopes of better answers. im very curious to see what the results of my emg are. they must have to do something for me if the nerves are involved. im convinced they are because of all of the leg pain and weakness. lately ive been having the pain in the calves and its starting to worry me. its like there is a rubber band around my calves cutting off the circulation. its just so hard to deal with all of this being an active 33 year old with 3 kids. some days i wake up feeling fine and thats when i start my housework or whatever needs done and by the end of the day i cant move. i cant imagine going through this for years and years like the people on here. sometimes i think im losing my mind. i just want to return to normal life without pain. thats another thing,,,,they wont even treat me for the pain. i dont like to take narcotics....i get sick, but the strongest med that ive had for a year is darvocet. when i asked for something a little stronger to help me sleep...i heard...i dont want to give you something you might get addicted to. anyone who knows me knows that i would be the last person on this earth that would get addicted to anything!!! OTHER THAN COFFEE AND CIGARETTES.lol and of course they did say that my smoking is contributing to my bad back. but then if they did have cigarettes to blame things on..what would it be? please keep replying. i enjoy this
thank you,
tami

Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #7
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I hate when drs blame the cigarettes LOL!! What do they tell people with our back problems that don't smoke? Take care!!

Closed Thread