It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #1

LionKat HB User
Smile Waiting

Hey! I'm new here & I don't know how active this board is, but I thought I'd post anyway. Just a quick note... I have Cerebral Palsy w/ Scoliosis. I moved to the UK almost a year ago to be w/ my husband. I hardly had any medical treatment while I was in America, because of the cost & another reasons (but we won't go into that now). Since I've been here the medical ball has been rolling quite well. I received a new wheelchair, & seen a doctor about having surgery on my back. I am on the waiting list for it, so it won't be anytime soon. The doctor talked about the 360 degree surgery. I have done a search for info on it which lead me here. I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me anything about it? It'd be a great help, Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Waiting

Hi LionKat, welcome!!! I can't help you with your question, but wanted to welcome you here!! I'm sure someone will be along shortly that will be able too though, as this is usually a pretty active and informative board! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #3

LionKat HB User

Hi out2lunch! Thank's for replying, & I'm very happy to be here! I hope someone does come along soon...I have soo many questions.

*hangs around waiting for someone*

Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I just want to bump this up! Please someone come help LionKat??

Out2lunch

Old 12-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #5

LionKat HB User

Thank's again out2lunch! I'm beginning to think that I'm invisible here. Can someone give me info any kind of back surgery at all? It would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning LionKat,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. I am very happy that you are getting the proper medical care that we all deserve. Their is a thread on these boards that I had started in November. It is called, "November's Surgery's." Some of the member's in that thread did have a 360 fusion and they may be able to better assist you with your question's. I will try and give a quick explanation.

A 360 degree fusion is when they approach from both the front and the back meaning anterior and posterior. Some surgeons do a 360 fusion in two parts. The insert a cage or cages and they are put in from the front, then the patient is turned over and the screws and rods are put in from the back. The 360 fusion is more stable than the cages by themselves and requires less retraction of the nerves to implant. Your surgeon will discuss what instrumentation will be used and that will depend on what and how many levels will need to be fused. You can also start a thread called, "360 Fusion's" and you may get more replies. I myself did not have this type of surgery. I do wish you the very best.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-06-2003, 09:54 AM   #7

LionKat HB User

*Takes a long deep breath* Hiya Tomorrow Thank you for the reply, my doctor did explain the surgery a little but not in full detail. He didn't say anything about cages though, it sounds like a lot. I'll have an appointment to talk about it soon, I just wanted some info going into it. I will start another thread too. Thank you once again for your input.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning LionKat,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Your very welcome. You will need to discuss what instrumentation will be used with your doctor as I am not sure if cages are always used with the 360. I do not want to mislead you with the incorrect information. Some surgeon's perform these surgery's differently. They even use different method's for the bone graphing or use BMP. But I won't even go into explaining all that as I think you should wait until your doctor tells you what he will be using. After you have this information I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Have a great day [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #9

LionKat HB User

Hi Tomorrow! I should wait until I talk to my doctor more, I just didn't know that there are so many varieties (sp) for the surgery. But thank you again & I'll be sure to look you up when I know more!

Old 12-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hello again LionKat!! I'm so glad you were finally able to get some help!! I would also like to suggest that you start writing down questions as they pop into your head, from now til your appt!! It's not unusual to forget some questions once in the appt and being given only a few mins to get all you want to say out! Take care!!

out2lunch

Old 12-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #11

LionKat HB User

Hi out2lunch! I plan on doing just that, I always manage to ask the important questions. But the doctor seems to be good so he may cover everythin anyways. May I ask you about your car crash & why they said surgery wasn't an option? :/ Sounds strange to me.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Well it was practically head-on, when an 80yr old woman made a left turn into me as I was coming through the inter-section!! My car ('88 Mustang) was a write-off!! I had my 3 kids with me, and they all have had pain/problems since!!
The ortho and neuro surgeons I've seen over the yrs have said that my back and neck aren't bad enough to need surgery!! I guess I'd have to be immobile before they'd do anything!
My pm dr just told me the other day that surgery would only make me worse! Today he wants me to start on the fentanyl patch and seriously think about ESIs!! I don't know how I feel about any of this 'cause he gave me botox injections before which made everything worse!! At that time, he also told me that I wouldn't be able to tolerate any needle procedure because of my reaction, and now he's saying that that's what he recommends!!
Feel free to ask any questions you'd like!! I wasn't sure what you were asking about the car accident, so go right ahead and ask ok? Take care!!

Old 12-10-2003, 07:36 AM   #13

LionKat HB User

That sounds realllly bad. So what happened to the woman? And what kind of effects do your children suffer from it? You should've sued her, or did you? Doctors are bad for telling you different things, that's why I find it hard to trust them. Well, I hope everything works out for you! Talk to you soon!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

It's awful LionKat!! I'm not sure about this woman, and I'd be really surprised if she's even still alive!! Afterall, she was 80 when this happened and that was 7yrs ago!
I am in the process of suing still!!! It's taking forever and the ins companies are giving me a hard time!
As for my kids, so far my youngest (now 6) is fine! My middle son (now 13) suffers from daily headaches and is in a neuro's care, and my oldest (now 18) has the same neck and back issues as I do, but he's handling it better! I really worry about my boys too! What kind of life do they have now, and I keep telling them how important their education is 'cause they can't do labour type jobs now!!
My oldest is in college for computer graphics animation, but even sitting at a comp will increase the pain levels, so I don't know how this will all turn out! Personally, I try not to think about it too often! I have enough fighting to stay out of the pit as it is!!
I know how you feel about drs too, lord knows I've seen many over the yrs and gotten all different answers from them!!
Just take my recent MRI on my neck!! There's all kinds of things going on in there, yet they act like it's nothing!!! I posted about it earlier! I'm scared to death that things are worse and noone cares to do anything about it as usual!!
Anyway, thanks for replying again! I hope things are ok for you, take care!!

Closed Thread