It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive

tennisnut HB User
Question Gastroesophageal Reflux - caused from lying down all day??

I have an unusual question.

I have never had heartburn before in my life (hard to believe but true).

Have been lying down most of the day due to recovering from IDET.

The other day, I woke up having difficulty swallowing. Felt like something was stuck at the top of my chest. This continued throughout the day. I started looking up my symptoms and sounded exactly like gastroesophageal reflux.

Went to bed and was find the next several days. Woke up this morning and it's back. It's nasty and distressing.

Could this be cause by all the lying down that I've been doing. By my corset? Have anyone had a similiar experience?

What can I do to get rid of this? I have to lie down so I can't change that.

Advice, please!

--tennisnut

Old 12-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #2

larryp HB User
Re: Gastroesophageal Reflux - caused from lying down all day??

tennisnut,
It sounds like an acid problem to me. I have had GERD for many years. Things that help are slightly elevating the head of your bed with bricks or wooden blocks. There are also medications that slow down the acid "pumps" in your stomach. These are available over the counter or by prescription. You could have a hiatal hernia. Hope this helps. I am facing some bed time soon also as I have an L5/S1 fusion with LT-cages scheduled for Dec. 18 in Santa Barbara.
Good Luck,
Larry
1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Last edited by larryp; 12-04-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

T--I am also a GERD veteran. It's possible it's the flat time. To the degree you're walking, you may want to time walks to follow meals. The corset, unfortunately,
is another potential factor, but it would more likely have been this way from the beginning of using it if that were the issue.

Otherwise, small meals and the right meds can help if GERD is the problem. Personally, I've been on Prevacid for a few years, and it's worked well. But there are many choices. Are your meds changed otherwise? That can also contribute to GERD.

Good luck with it!

Standingman

Old 12-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

I developed gerd when my back tightness reached my neck, I have had it for a few years, on days when my muscles arent so tight it gets a little better.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
Inactive

Pippin HB User

Treatment for GERD is fairly easy -- over-the-counter anti-acids, especially the liquid ones like Malox -- can work quite well.

However, if the GERD continues on a regular basis, you should ask your family doctor about having a blood test to see if you have an H.Pylori infection. This is a very common intestinal infection. If the blood test is positive, you will be treated with antibiotics for 2 weeks, followed by 3 months of a strong anti-acid like Prevacid or Aciphex.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Tennisnut, [/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I am sorry to hear of your discomfort especially during your IDET recovery. I have suffered with acid reflux for many years. I had a very difficult time with it during my fusion recovery especially during my stay at the hospital. I did have my bed elevated and that did not help me. It was the medication's used to control my pain and the fact that I could not eat that had made matter even worse for me. Hard to believe but true. I had more of a problem with my reflux then my back pain. I actually argued with the nurse because she kept pushing the button on the pain pump because I would not as it was making my reflux worse. All the years that I have had reflux I never felt as if something were stuck in my chest. But we are all different and other members have already stated that they have. I only get straight acid that clogs my airways and sometimes takes my breath away. My husband suffers from gerd and he did have the feeling that you describe. He complained of this feeling two days before he ended up in the hospital. He was eating a steak diner that I had cooked for him. A piece of it had gotten stuck in his throat. He was still able to breathe but he could not get the piece of meat to go down. I had to take him to the ER as we were not taking any chances. This was 2 days before my surgery. They gave him medication's in hoping the meat would desolve but they did not work. He stayed in this condition all night without be able to swallow. They called in a gastro and they did a minor procedure in the morning to remove the steak from his esophagus. The surgeon said that some people esophagus do shrink and that my husband will have to have surgery in the future to correct this problem. By all means I am not saying that this is your problem, I am just sharing my story. A simple change in diet or a walk after your meal could be all you need. But I am not a doctor. But I would suggest telling your doctor if your problem does persist. Needless to say I have not made a steak diner since that night...lol[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER]I wish you a very successful recovery[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Inactive

tennisnut HB User

Thank you all so much for the good advice and sympathy . This sure seems to be a common problem. At first I did think that maybe I was getting sick or that something was actually stuck in my throat, but I was able to rule those things out pretty easily, especially since I've been eating foods that are fairly soft. I will be thinking of Tomorrow's husband the next time I have steak and remember to chew it thoroughly! I was thankful to wake up today with no symptoms. Seems like I either wake up with it and it's with me for the whole day or I don't have it at all. I am not taking any new medications. The only changes that I can imagine causing this are the corset and the bed rest. Before I had the IDET, I was lying down a good deal of the time as well (I work lying down), but I probably was not lying down as much right after taking meals. I will try many of the suggestions offered. If this becomes a regular occurrence, I'll see my primary care doctor about it.

--Tennisnut

Closed Thread