It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #1

Charlotte Welch HB User
Post-Op Meds (Posterior Lumbar Fusion)

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading your questions and answers for about two weeks now. Great chat room . I am having a 2-Level Posterior Lumbar Fusion surgery on my L-4 L-5, L-5 S-1 on December 10th. Scared!!!

This chat room has helped me so much in getting prepared but there are a few questions that I hope some of you will answer.

It sounds like the worst are the time in the hospital and the 1st few weeks afterwards. I've been taking Vicodin 500 mg since January and they're like taking aspirin to me.

1) On a scale of 1-10+, how severe is the pain these first two weeks?

2) What pain relievers would you recommend for these few weeks and after that (if any are needed)... Hopefully not.

Hey, if I'm going to go through the surgery, the pain afterward, the swelling, rehabilitation, physical therapy, etc, etc... I want some good drugs.

Appreciate any replies,

Scared Charlotte
in Houston, Tx

Old 12-09-2003, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Re: Post-Op Meds (Posterior Lumbar Fusion)

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Charlotte,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. First I would like to say that I am really very sorry that nobody has responded to your post. Sometimes this happens when many replies are posted on the same day and then some threads are moved to the second page and other member's don't notice the thread. So please except my apologizes as I realize I am replying the day prior to your surgery.

I also had a fusion on the same levels that you are having. When I was sent home from the hospital my surgeon had giving me prescription for oxycontin & norco. The combination of the two medication's had kept my pain under control. However, I did find these meds to be strong for me and at times I did feel a little dizzy. I was only on the oxycontin for 2 weeks after my surgery and then only norco. For me the first two weeks with my medication's my pain levels were at a level's 5 & 6. Remember that we are all different. I hope that after I reply and this thread will be bumped up to the first page that you will also get other reply's as well. You are in my prayer's for a very successful surgery and recovery. I am also added your name to the "December Surgery's" thread.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Exclamation Re: Post-Op Meds (Posterior Lumbar Fusion)

[QUOTE=Charlotte Welch]Hello Everyone,

I've been reading your questions and answers for about two weeks now. Great chat room . I am having a 2-Level Posterior Lumbar Fusion surgery on my L-4 L-5, L-5 S-1 on December 10th. Scared!!!

This chat room has helped me so much in getting prepared but there are a few questions that I hope some of you will answer.

It sounds like the worst are the time in the hospital and the 1st few weeks afterwards. I've been taking Vicodin 500 mg since January and they're like taking aspirin to me.

1) On a scale of 1-10+, how severe is the pain these first two weeks?

2) What pain relievers would you recommend for these few weeks and after that (if any are needed)... Hopefully not.

Hey, if I'm going to go through the surgery, the pain afterward, the swelling, rehabilitation, physical therapy, etc, etc... I want some good drugs.

Appreciate any replies,

Scared Charlotte
in Houston, Tx[/QUOTE]

Charlotte,

There is nothing to be afraid of but also had all of the knowledge going in. The pain differs between people and I believe it is based alot on your previous experiences with surgery and pain. Unfortunately I have a high pain tolerance due to many surgeries and various pain. I had a fusion due to 3 fractures in my spine along with a slipped vertebrae. I was out of the hospital in three days and only used vicodin 1 every 4 hours for the pain. At times my pain definately was unbearable but I continued to do my walking everyday no matter what.
I am 6 weeks post op and doing rather well. I am driving and doing some christmas shopping although the more activity I do the more pain. Do not expect a fast recovery it reallly takes awhile.

Good luck and again learn all you can before the surgery so you know what to expect.

Lisa

Old 12-09-2003, 07:39 AM   #4

randee HB User

Hi Charlotte,
My name is Randee and I am a little over three weeks post-op, L5-S1 fusion. Personally, I was scared to death, I know my fear factor post is still on this board somewhere. Don't be afraid-truthfully I can hardly remember my hospital stay. I was extremely medicated and constantly checked up on by the nurses. The nurses are there to help and truly do try to insure your comfort, I think that is pretty much universal. If you hurt-don't be afraid and let them know, right away!

I was given pain killers(vicodin es, percocet), muscle relaxers, nerve meds, etc. for months and months prior to surgery. Let your doctor know if the meds aren't helping-be honest, he will help-trust me I had your exact fear! I am doing fine, if I could just learn to take it easy. I think I have included this advice in every one of my posts-LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR AND TO YOUR BODY, TAKE IT SLOW! Now if I could only follow my own advice(lol)-well thats for another day!
Good luck, God Bless-don't be afraid, trust me, a few weeks from now you'll be giving this advice to someone else here. Only good thoughts for, keep us posted during your recovery.
Fondly, Randee

Old 12-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #5
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Charlotte, just wanted you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and full speedy recovery!!
I know you won't see this for awhile, but posted it anyway! Take care!!

Closed Thread