It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 05:38 AM   #1

wendymaybracken HB User
constant back spasms

HI my husband is a 26 yr old male of course in the us army he has had back pains for two years now we finally had back xrays done and the doctors said he is having constant back spasms and that it is normal he has alot of pain while staying in one position for a long time and gets tears in his eyes when we do the exercises which they tell us is all they can do for him I am just wondering if it is actually normal to have constant back spasm? Is there anything else that can be done? and is continuing to work with these pains (he is a mechanic) going to make them worse? i sort of feel like they are not putting him on a profile to not carry ruck sack and heavy weapons while running because is about to be deployed any information that can be given would be greatly appreciated THANKS!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: constant back spasms

Hi Wendy, welcome!! I'm not a dr, but I'd say it's NOT normal to have over-active muscle spasms!! I've been told that I have that too, but I've also been in a car accident and have herniated discs too, and no dr has ever told me it was normal!!
I would insist that the drs run a CT or MRI scan on your hubby's spine!! I'd bet money that he's got a herniated or bulging disc somewhere that's causing these muscles to spasm so much!!
I just hate drs that think their guesses are the answer!! An MRI is the best at telling you exactly what's causing the pain!
I'd also say that continuing his work the way he has, will make things worse!!
It's been 7yrs for me, and my drs have told me not to return to any type of physical job!! There's to be no lifting, pushing or pulling, and surgery's not an option for me! Yet, your hubby's suppose to continue his normal routine?? Doesn't make sense to me?? Though this is only my 2 cents, like I said, I'm no dr! But, I'm sure others here would agree! Take care, I wish you both the best!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

I agree with out2lunch's suggestion. Of course, there are plenty of medications for spasms. A TENS unit can also be helpful for some people. But the main thing, if at all possible, is to get a more convincing idea about the cause.

Standingman

Old 12-06-2003, 04:57 PM   #4

wendymaybracken HB User

Thanks that helps a whole lot we are going back to the doctors on tues and I will ask about an MRI or CT we do know where there problems started he was straining to open a window and at that time they said he pulled a muscle but has had problems ever since but your suggestion definately give me something to bring up and are very much appreciated thanks alot

Closed Thread