It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
How long does it take for muscles to heal after they have been cut from laminectomy

I had a laminectomy at L4 area Sept 5th. I was doing well but still have a long ways to go as my doctor puts it and I don't know if I over did it or what but I can' t seem to get rid of this swelling of my muscle. It is right over the spine and is tender to touch and stiffens up causing pain. Will this ever heal. He explained that he cut this muscle but I just feel like it will never heal.

Mistina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #2
Inactive

Patmg HB User
Re: How long does it take for muscles to heal after they have been cut from laminectomy

[QUOTE=Mistina]I had a laminectomy at L4 area Sept 5th. I was doing well but still have a long ways to go as my doctor puts it and I don't know if I over did it or what but I can' t seem to get rid of this swelling of my muscle. It is right over the spine and is tender to touch and stiffens up causing pain. Will this ever heal. He explained that he cut this muscle but I just feel like it will never heal.

Mistina[/QUOTE]
Hi Mistina: I had L4-5 lumbar laminectomy in March, 1993. It took me about 6 weeks. I am usually a quick "recoverer". Has you doctor done any x-rays of your laminectomy lately? When did you get your last x-ray, if any, post laminectomy? Have you gone into physical therapy yet? After surgery on the spine, one usually gets physical therapy of some type.

You must understand that your laminectomy will most likely NOT rid you of your back pain. Surgeries are done to decompress nerves; they are not done (spinal anyway) to necessarily remove your pain. One the spine is damaged, it sort of "tweeks out". It sends pain messages to the brain, even though no damage is being done. If you have degenerating disks, they will cause pain simply because of the degeneration of the disk. The disk is burning out it's proteins as it is degenerating. It is like a dying star; it is burning itself out. However, in your case, one would think you should be moving better by now. I was; but I have a tough time holding still: I will always try to move, that is just hyper little me! After my lumbar surgery, they had me walking around the hospital a day or 2 after surgery. How much walking have you done or are you doing now? Can you walk very well?

In my opinion, I feel you have more swelling from your spine and it seems to me to be going on too long. You may have to ask if you doc is willing to run some type of x-ray. If he/she refuses, say, I just want it for piece of mind; bone x-rays are not that expensive, unlike an MRI. At least your doc could check your vertebral positions in your lumbar area. Take care, Patmg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: How long does it take for muscles to heal after they have been cut from laminectomy

Hi Mistina, I'd definitely tell my dr that I wanted some type of x-ray done, and not take "no" for an answer!! You have every right to know for sure! You don't have to ever settle for his guess! Take care!!
Out2lunch

Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

You guys are making me nervous. Why do you suggest an x-ray. I guess it couldn't hurt.
I had alot of 'bone growth' removed from my spine that he found while in surgery to remove the disc material. I know that this area probably has good reason to be tender. I had alot of work done to that specific spot.
I had been walking a mile a day or 30 minutes a day, whichever and doing stretching 3 times a day along with physical therapy. I was progressing slowly but progressing. I have started back to work and being here for 9 hours is a little rough on me. I was at work all day Tues and then went to PT and I don't know if I just overdid it or what. I pray that this is the only thing going on and I'm sure that the muscle that he cut is still healing but I'm always paranoid and thinking I'll never be normal.
You guys say to get an x-ray, what would be wrong that an x-ray would tell me. I don't really have the nerve pain and pain in my leg so I don't think it is the disc.

Mistina

Old 12-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hello again, I think we're all saying get the x-ray 'cause it's always better to know for sure that there's nothing else going on with you! I'm sorry if we're worrying you, we don't mean to! We just hate to see anyone suffer 'cause they're following their dr's guess! Take care!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 AM   #6
Inactive

Patmg HB User

Hi Mistina: I am sorry to have scared you regarding asking for another x-ray. I suggested that just to make sure there are no bone fragments (or disk material, as I had in my neck prior to my surgery) floating around in your surgical area. I was not aware of how much bone you had removed. All I had to go by was my own laminectomy. Also, sometimes, after surgery, I have heard of disks re-bulging, IF the doctor "shaves off" a portion of a disk that is already bulged previously. I don't know if your disk was totally removed or not. Also, sometimes another disk goes out. I have heard this happening on disectomies. I don't know the extent of the work you personally had done by your surgeon. A bone x-ray would show any bone fragments or vertebre at another level that could be positioned in such a way that the docs can tell if another disk herniated somewhere.

I didn't realize that you had returned to work, especially after working 9 hours a day. If your legs don't hurt, that is a GOOD sign. The reason for my laminectomy was I could notwork, because I could not sit up to do office work. I still cannot sit up long, even after the laminectomy. My whole spine, however, is falling apart. When a person sits, the lumbar spine takes more pressure than when a person walks or even stands. Do you sit up at work? Do you do any lifting? Do you stand a lot at work? Staying in any one position is hard on the spine after a while. Sitting is one of the worse positions for my lumbar spine and prolonged standing (in a grocery line, for example) causes me a great deal of lumbar pain. I have to continually shift my weight from foot to foot, slowly rocking my hips from side to side, while I stand in any line.

Mistina, always remember that none of us will never know each other's pain 100%. Every person's pain is individual; no two people are the same. All we can do is go by our own personal experiences. You seem to have been in close contact with your doctor; like "Out to Lunch" said, we don't want to see anyone suffer. Most of the time, my x-rays are done by my doctor simply to give ME piece of mind. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. Hope this helps your concerns. Take care, Patmg

Closed Thread