It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 10:48 AM   #1

ktshobe HB User
I had nucleoplasty

Hi everyone. A couple of months ago I posted a question about nucleoplasty, but didn't hear anything back. I did find some information in other threads, though. My impression was that the procedure and recovery really varied between people, so I didn't know what to expect.

I had the procedure done on Monday, and am at home recovering. Compared ot the discography, I found nucleoplasty to be much more bearable, probably because of the "happy drugs" I was given. It hurts now, but the docs say within 7-10 days I should notice if the procedure worked. Is this what other folks have determined? I only had it done on L5-S1.

thanks for your time,
Katie

Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive

mokita HB User
Re: I had nucleoplasty

Hi Katie!

I am scheduled for Nucleoplasty on Jan 9th after a long wait. I am also having it at only one level, L4-L5. I look forward to watching your progress as we'll be quite close to each other, only a month apart!

What kind of restrictions are you on as far as how much weight can you lift? Were you told to limit sitting/standing? Are you using a brace?

Hope you are feeling stronger every day! Sorry I didn't see your post before you had surgery. I kind of got lost when new 'look' came on ~ and just recently began posting again! Nice to meet you!

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 07:14 AM   #3

ktshobe HB User

Karen,

I was suprised at the lack of guidance I received from the docs concerning what to not do and do. I got a sheet of paper saying not to sit for more than 15 minutes at a time, to watch what I lift, etc. I was given a week off of work. No brace of any sort. I actually feel a lot better today, 5 days post-procedure, and think I can manage work next week.

I find that by dinner time I am ready to rest in bed from sitting/standing all day.

Best of luck next month!

Katie

Old 12-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Red][B][CENTER]Good Morning Katie,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards. First let me start by saying that I am very sorry that no one had answered your post about nucleoplasty. I do feel very bad that you came to these boards looking for support prior to your surgery and you did not find it and I am truly sorry for that. I myself try and answer a couple of posts but nucleoplasty is one that I am not familiar with. I have noticed that Karen has replied to your post and like she said she is also having this type of surgery. I am happy that both of you will be able to share experiences with one another.

However I can relate to your statement about the discogram and I actually had a little chuckle over it. I am not saying that the discogram was anything to laugh about as that procedure is one that I will never forget. I do wish you a very successful recovery and you are in my prayers.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-06-2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Inactive

mokita HB User

Tomorrow....

I thought the same thing about Katie's discogram comments! Not a fun thing, to say the least! The only thing that got me through it was knowing it w/b over soon!

Katie... It's good to hear that you're feeling so well! How long have you been standing @ one time in the last couple of days?

I would just make one suggestion. Do a search here on Nucleoplasty and read everything you can. Even now. Successtory has some very good advice re: the healing process. Kennethhoff also has posted some sage advice re: recovery process.

The one thing that sticks out most in my mind is what Successtory said ~ even when you think you're feeling better, and can do things you did before surgery - DON'T. I don't think she means anything....just be very careful. Even though you're feeling much better - that disc has still been traumatized and is far from being healed. It wouldn't take much to undo what good was done. I'm really not being an alarmist....just want you t/b cautious so that you're also a success story!

Keep up the good work!

Karen

Old 12-07-2003, 02:14 PM   #6

ktshobe HB User

Thanks for all the advice, esp. the one about not over doing it. I have been feeling better, but it still hurts to sit or stand for over 30 minutes. It's funny, but even being in bed doesn't seem to help. Psychologically I think it helps, but physically it feels the same.

Going to try going to work tomorrow, and luckily I can take more time off if I need it. Will probably come home early tomorrow.

Yes, thankfully the discography is over! I remember the surgeon describing it to me waaaaay back when, and I thought I'd never do it. Now I'm glad it's over, esp. if the nucleoplasty or IDET don't help, I won't have to do it before surgery. On a positive note, I feel like I bonded with the people in the room, especially the nurse holding my hand!

thanks again,
Katie

Old 12-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #7

ktshobe HB User
post-nucleoplasty - how long?

Okay, it's been about 11 days after my nucleoplasty, and my doc said that within 7-10 days I'd be able to tell if it helped. My question is - if this has helped people, how long did it take to know? I think my pain is worse, and I am even trying to skip out of work early again. I was optimistic, but maybe too anxious?

thanks
Katie

Closed Thread