It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 02:22 PM   #1

ly_b HB User
Sciatica

Hi, I really need some help and advice!

A couple of months ago, I had some very strange feelings in my legs, and now they have returned. I had occasional shooting pains, but most of the problem seemed to be this "activity" in the nerves - it feels like my legs won't keep still and all the nerves are moving all the time.

It's very distracting and annoying, and I don't really understand it. I read it could be something called sciatica and connected to back pain... I do have some pain in my abdomen and my lower back but my legs are much more badly affected for some reason.

Occasionally I get the same sensations in my arms, but it's mostly in my legs and buttocks... but it can reach all the way down to my toes, in both legs!?

Could someone please tell me what might be causing this? I don't have great posture and I do sit at a computer screen for most of the day...

I'd really appreciate some help on this one. It's the movement in my legs, the jerking and twitching of the nerves, and the pain - it's driving me mad!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Re: Sciatica

Hi ly_b and vibration man

Welcome ly_b....but sorry you are in pain. Sciatica is a symptom of a nerve impingement at the L4-L5-S1 levels. This is where the sciatic nerve 'begins' (from these levels). The pain will go through your bum and down to your toes. When it's real bad...the pain goes from your toes to your nose (as I used to say). The feeling of your legs being "alive" is a good statement, as they are. The nerve endings are screaming but the messages are getting re-routed to other nerves...causing the twitching, and buzzy feelings. All of this can be calmed down a bit. I'll give you a few suggestions in a minute.

Vibration man stated he had a bulge at the L4/L5 region. This is in-line with my statement above. He is correct in recommending you get an MRI and pay attention to the levels I mentioned. Don't stress you lower back...this means don't sit for longer than 10 minutes (or for as long as you can tolerate) at a time. Get up and stretch then sit again. Maybe standing feels better for you, do more of that. You can eat standing, write standing....pretty much everything. If laying down is the way to relieve your pain...print out email messages and read them while laying down. Set up your computer so you can be horizontal while working (this can be done with pretty much any system you currently have). Whatever works for you...do it. But change is definitely in order here, because the goal is to decrease your sciatic episodes right now.

A few suggestions:
(1) ICE - ICE - ICE. Ice the L4-S1 area with a gel ice pack for 20 minutes at a time. This will decrease the swelling and thus, allow more room for the nerves and pathways to function more properly. You can do this every hour (after the last 20 minutes) until your back is good and numb. Never put the ice on skin. Always have a layer of protection between ice pack and skin.
(2) PELVIC TILTS. Performing pelvic tilts correctly will open up more room in the L4-S1 region. To do them right you will need to lay horizontal on your back with your knees up. No pillows but be comfortable--I do them on my bed (and standing and driving now too) but for now, start horizontal. Imagine your belly button touching your spine. Don't try to move hips or abdomen or anything. Just imagine your belly button touching your spine. Then release. That is a pelvic tilt. Do a set of 6 and do 3 sets at a time. If anything causes a sharp pain stop immediately--your injury isn't ready for them. But this is the most gentle movements you can do for yourself...you may very well have a serious problem if there is sharp pain with these slight movements.
(3) MYOCALM. This is an herbal remedy that seems to pinpoint it's relief on the sciatic nerve....the biggest nerve in our bodies. What it did for me is it took the BITE out of the sciatic pain. It took the "alive" feeling away. Try herbal shops or look it up on the web on where to purchase it. It is hard to find. I was able to take this medication along with my vicodin and soma and anti-inflammatory medications. It's stinky (a little)...but it worked for me.
(4) ALTERNATIVE HEALING ARTS. I have found out of all the alternative healing arts the best one for sciatica is acupuncture. It gets right to the nerve. You may find some relief with massage therapy, acupressure or one of those arts. But acupuncture is the most direct. You may want to look into it.

I hope some of these remedies are helpful to you. Relief of the nerve being impinged may completely relieve your sciatica. But in the meantime...these suggestions are all I can give at this time.

Happy Holidays.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Sciatica

Thanks for popping the question Vib Man about permanent nerve damage!! I too have been trying to find the answer to that one, and getting no response from my drs at all! I'm interested in what you find out, take care!!

out2lunch

Closed Thread