It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 09:12 AM   #1

LionKat HB User
Question 360 fusion

Hey everyone! I posted another thread about this but got little result, so I thought I'd try this.
I am now on a waiting list for the 360 fusion operation. I am 23 yrs old & I have severe Cerebral Palsy along w/ severe Scoliosis. I just had a MRI to be sure that my spine isn't damaged, so my next appointment will be to talk about thr operation itself. I wanted some information about the surgery & the recovery before my appointment, so if anyone has any input that can give to me I'd be greatful! Thank you ahead of time!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #2

luvwindnhair HB User
Re: 360 fusion

Hiya Lyon

First Id like to say, you seem so upbeat concidering your circumstanses, I admire that! I have not had the surgery myself. But I do need extensive back surgery in Feburary. Different situation than yours. I can offer my knowledge about the surgery. 360 means that they will have to go in through your abdomen and back areas. They can remove the discs from the front, place the bone graft in from the front, but the hardware has to be placed from the back of the spine. You didnt mention how many levels you will have fused, but 2 levels will take about 3 hrs. You will be fitted for a brace, and have to wear it for at leat 6 weeks. 24-7. The purpose for this surgery is to relieve pressure on your nerves. They will do whats called a decompression, its exactly that. They remove the protruding disc from pinching your nerves. Then place bone pieces in the same place where disc was removed. Usually the bone comes from cadavers, or you can use yours, which is optimal. Its taken from the front area of your pelvic bone. This is rather painfull, and most patients complain this is the most painfull part of the procedure. Then the turn you over on the table, and place a few screws and plates to stabalize you spine in the corrected position, done. Plates and screws can stay in a lifetime, but some patients complain they cause unneeded pain. After you complete your job with healing, letting that new bone to grow in and "fuse" your spine, the hardware can be removed. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
Had MRI on Lumbar because pain was returning, also scaned T spine 8/02, Dx recurrent L5/S1 herniation and new herniation @ level L4/5
Cervical pain began 2/03
Had MRI~Dx herination @ level C 6/7
Had anterior decompresion with hardware and use of my own hip bone graft to C 6/7 8/14/03
Accepted in Clinical trials/getting my 2 level Prodisc ADR in Feb!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2003 at 02:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 02:24 PM   #3

LionKat HB User

Hi luvwindnhair! You said some of the stuff that I did already know, but thank you anyways! Any help is really good. Do you know how long the recovery is? I've heard a lot of different variations, I'm more worried about the hospital time...because my husband doesn't have a car & will find it hard to comute to the hospital every day. Anyone that any more information would be appreciated!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:20 PM   #4

larryp HB User

LionKat,
Your hospital stay could be from 3-5 days if there are no complications or special situations. Total recovery varies with each individual but my first fusion was four months. I am also not that familiar with your Medical care system.
Good Luck,
Larry
1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:47 AM   #5

SparkyB HB User

[QUOTE=LionKat]Hey everyone! I posted another thread about this but got little result, so I thought I'd try this.
I am now on a waiting list for the 360 fusion operation. I am 23 yrs old & I have severe Cerebral Palsy along w/ severe Scoliosis. I just had a MRI to be sure that my spine isn't damaged, so my next appointment will be to talk about thr operation itself. I wanted some information about the surgery & the recovery before my appointment, so if anyone has any input that can give to me I'd be greatful! Thank you ahead of time! [/QUOTE]

Hi, LionKat
I'd just like to say that I am 38 years old, and also had a 360 fusion last December. I had a micro-laminectomy in June, prior to the fusion. Both were for L5-S1. My doctor used some bone from my hip for my fusion, and I still regret not knowing more about that before hand. It has been painful, and still bothers me from time to time. Plus, it feel like there is a rough edge in there that sometimes sticks me. After the fact, I found several pages on the internet that talked about the potential for chronic pain from this. I wish I had known then, what I know now. Maybe you can discuss this with your doctor and make an informed decision yourself, instead of your doctor deciding for you, like mine did.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:44 AM   #6

LionKat HB User

Hey Larryp,
Thank's for your input! That surprises me, I thought the hospital stay would be longer. But that is good, I guess. Thank you again, I'll see how it goes!

Thank's for the advice, Sparky. Although, I don't really have a choice...my Scoliosis is that bad that I need it to be straightened. But I will keep your advice in mind & ask a lot of questions.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=LionKat]Hi luvwindnhair! You said some of the stuff that I did already know, but thank you anyways! Any help is really good. Do you know how long the recovery is? I've heard a lot of different variations, I'm more worried about the hospital time...because my husband doesn't have a car & will find it hard to comute to the hospital every day. Anyone that any more information would be appreciated! [/QUOTE]

hello, You may want to speak to your doctor about the 360. I had both procedures through the back. I was in the hospital for 3 days and am in my sixth week at home. I still have pain but it is controlled with meds. I also had simulated bone and had no need for the bone graft which is more painful than the surgery.

Good Luck

Old 12-09-2003, 11:39 AM   #8

LionKat HB User

Thank's Ldeschi! I will also keep that in mind. I'm going to ask as many questions as possible. Hopefully I will get a good doctor.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
(female)

ribbit HB User

[QUOTE=LionKat]Thank's Ldeschi! I will also keep that in mind. I'm going to ask as many questions as possible. Hopefully I will get a good doctor. [/QUOTE]

Hi LionKat,

I just wanted to say keep up the good attitude about everything. I was just at my doctor's appointment yesterday discussing different options, one of which is a three-level 360 fusion and a lady walked by the door.

Because of my terrified look while talking about fusion, he mentioned that he had done a multiple level fusion on the lady because of severe scoliosis and she is out playing tennis again!! Just thought an encouraging story would be nice!

I wish you the best of luck and will keep you in my prayers.

Ribbit

Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 AM   #10

LionKat HB User

Heya Ribbit! Thank's for the encouraging words, I need to hear stuff like that. But I know that this will be good for me, from all ways. I'm still nervous about it though, but I am a worry-wart. :/ Anyways, thank's again!

Closed Thread