It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 12:42 AM   #1

brucen32 HB User
lower back pain/tight hamstrings??

Hi:

A doctor once diagnosed me with a bulging disk in my lower back and ever since then I have had pretty standard lower back pain off and on for about 10 years. I have read that tight hamstrings are often a cause for lower back pain. This kinda makes sense since tight hamstrings will pull on the lower back when you are sitting and prevent you from maintaining a natural small arch and result in slouching. I can't touch my toes and when I try to sit cross-legged on the floor I have to lean back with my arms on the floor behind my back. So I'm pretty sure I have very tight hamstrings. I have tried to stretch my hamstrings either by lying on the ground keep my back flat against the floor and
slowly pulling my legs up with a towel till I feel a stretch. I've also tried just standing and putting a leg on a table and tried to touch my toes. Regardless of the method I use, I find that within a few hours to a day later, after the hamstring stretches, I start to feel that familiar lower back pain again (usually on one side) that radiates down one of the legs. Does anyone know why this happening? I thought it was good to have flexible hamstrings, yet when I try make them flexible
I get back pain. What should I do?

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 12-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: lower back pain/tight hamstrings??

Bruce, if you haven't seen a doctor for your back pain in l0 years, I would suggest making an appt. to be evaluated. Indeed, tight hamstrings could be contributing but so could the exercises you are doing. If you have a bulging disc, there are some exercises that can make it worse. First, see the doctor, preferably an ortho or neurosurgeon, have an MRI and then discuss your options for pain relief with the doctor. Good luck.
Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread