It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

countrycraft HB User
Unhappy lumbar spinal stenosis & inflammatories

To those of you that have, spinal stenosis and have been on inflammatories - do they help any at all for the pain ? I spent almost 30.00 for a bottle of inflammatory pills and they done absolutely NOTHING ! Seems like Nothing helps my pain at all , except for the epidural steroid shot that I had about 4 years ago and haven't been able to afford another one since.(MA covered that one)

I guess I was just curious if the pills had done anything for anyone else-
thank you so much
Laura

Old 12-07-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Inactive

Pippin HB User
Re: lumbar spinal stenosis & inflammatories

[QUOTE=countrycraft]To those of you that have spinal stenosis and have been on inflammatories - do they help any at all for the pain ?[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope you've been taking ANTI-inflammatories, NOT inflammatories!

I have LSS (lumbar spinal stenosis) and none of the over-the-counter medications have helped at all. I was regularly taking 500mg aceteminophen plus 400mg naproxen sodium, three times a day, but I never found that it made the slightest dent in the pain.

In September, my pain mainagement doctor put me on Bextra, which is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory (NSAID) known as a COX-2 inhibitor, used to relieve symptoms of arthritis. This medication actually helped; I went from being able to stand from less than 10 minutes at a time to over 30 minutes at a time -- quite an improvement. Overall, my hips and legs felt less stressed and painful. However, I had to stop the medication after one month when it appeared it caused (or perhaps exacerbated) a stomach ulcer. It is unfortunate but true that these NSAIDS can be rough on the stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

countrycraft HB User

LOL-YES I did mean anti inflammatories - I am so embarrassed

I guess you moreless answered my question here though-ya it's not much fun being able to sit for only minutes at a time and then to not be able to stand for very long either - that's whay I am up and down so much
thank you very much for replying
Laura

[QUOTE=Pippin]I certainly hope you've been taking ANTI-inflammatories, NOT inflammatories!

I have LSS (lumbar spinal stenosis) and none of the over-the-counter medications have helped at all. I was regularly taking 500mg aceteminophen plus 400mg naproxen sodium, three times a day, but I never found that it made the slightest dent in the pain.

In September, my pain mainagement doctor put me on Bextra, which is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory (NSAID) known as a COX-2 inhibitor, used to relieve symptoms of arthritis. This medication actually helped; I went from being able to stand from less than 10 minutes at a time to over 30 minutes at a time -- quite an improvement. Overall, my hips and legs felt less stressed and painful. However, I had to stop the medication after one month when it appeared it caused (or perhaps exacerbated) a stomach ulcer. It is unfortunate but true that these NSAIDS can be rough on the stomach.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
Inactive

Patmg HB User

Hi Laura: I, too, take Bextra. I don't think even Bextra does much for me. However, my spine is a disaster! I have 14 degenerating disks. I am on opiate medications for my pain. However, it all depends on your pain level and spinal condition. Also, if you have disk problems, it can depend upon how deep your nerves imbed a degenerating disk. I do take my Bextra, as I will do all I can to bring down any inflammation. Who knows, it probably is doing a little something. I do well with epidural steroid shots, too. I have burning (nerve or neuropathic) pain. Aching pain is either a disk or muscle, but really bad aching is usually a disk. Stabbing is usually a disk or bone spur that is poking a nerve somewhere. This is my own little figuring out of what these pains mean, just by observing my x-ray results over the years. I told my doctor that the opiates is what stops my pain, not the anti-inflammatories. I got the impression that was because the opiates work on the nerve pain. My whole body feels like it is burning. So, please do try to start out with the anti-inflammatories, as directed, but you may have to try a few of them before you find one that works with your body chemistry. Anti-depressants also help spinal pain (watch ones that cause weight gain). Also, anti-seizure drugs (such as Topamax--I've heard Neurontin is causing depression and suicides on a lawyer ad out of New York; funny thing, my doctor just took me off Neurontin and changed me to Topamax. I actually liked the Neurontin better, but forget that suicide thing. Think I will stay with Topamax, although right now I am not taking them. Gall bladder problems screwed me up so bad, I could hardly take anything thru my stomach!)

I hope this helps. Also, you must keep telling your doctor what is working and what is not working. You have a right to proper pain control. Please do not give up on your pain until it is controlled properly. Take care, Patmg

PS If you do have an ulcer, ask your doctor about a duragesic patch to control your pain. That way, there isn't any drugs passing through your digestive system. The drugs are delivered via the skin from a patch. I don't know what meds your doctor is willing to provide. Sometimes the patient's age can affect what a doctor prescribes.

Last edited by Patmg; 12-07-2003 at 02:40 PM.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran

standingman HB User

I have LSS. To my surprise, I found that over-the-counter cream you rub in helps me some--not with the stabbing pain (which nothing touches) but with the lesser aches. There are several products that contain trolamine salicylate (which is basically aspirin); I use a generic from Rite Aid. My TENS unit has also come in handy for this sort of pain.

Standingman

Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Laura, I've been on just about every anti-inflam you can think of, and the only thing they managed to do for me, was give me ulcers!!! Please be careful!! Take care!!

out2lunch

Closed Thread