It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #1

Sunny D HB User
Question Numb and pins and needles in finger tips and arm....related to back problem???

Since Yesterday I have had a persistent slightly numb and pins and needles in my left arm and mainly in my finger tips on left hand, I am worried incase it is related to my back. I thought it may be damage to the nerves because I have not had the op maybe, has anyone else experienced this or know what it may be?....Thanx for any help in advance Tina xxx

Last edited by Sunny D; 12-07-2003 at 02:39 PM.

Old 12-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
Inactive

Patmg HB User
Re: Numb and pins and needles in finger tips and arm....related to back problem???

[QUOTE=Sunny D]Since Yesterday I have had a persistent slightly numb and pins and needles in my left arm and mainly in my finger tips on left hand, I am worried incase it is related to my back. I thought it may be damage to the nerves because I have not had the op maybe, has anyone else experienced this or know what it may be?....Thanx for any help in advance Tina xxx[/QUOTE]

Hi SunnyD: It could be a nerve that is impinged from a muscle spasm in your neck or upper back. This happened to me after we got rear ended sitting at a stop light; it wasn't a bad accident, but I had my head turned when the girl hit us. That lasted for 6 weeks and my neck kept "shocking" me if I looked to the right or looked down and to the right. It finally went away.

It could be a disk in your neck that is bulging and pressing on a nerve. In your neck, you have braided nerves. You have two "nerve braids" in your neck, so because of that, you need tests to see what cervical level this tingling is coming from. Or you could have a totally herniated disk.

Due to the fact that this has just recently started, it may pass. What were you doing when this started? Tina, hopefully it will pass. Only a doctor can tell for sure. A regular bone x-ray (they are cheaper than an MRI) can tell if your vertebre are out of sorts; if a disk did blow out completely, that vertebre level would not look right. Two of the vertebre would be closer together than normal if the disk blew out. (Hopefully, you are just fine!) Take care and good luck to you, Patmg

PS You are from England??? My mom was born in Slaidburn England. I was told it is a small town. Have you ever heard of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #3

Sunny D HB User
Re: Numb and pins and needles in finger tips and arm....related to back problem???

Hi Pat, thanx for your reply, I just noticed it through out the day yesterday. If I put my arm down and shake it about it will go but comes back pretty quick. I did'nt think much of it untill it was happening today aswell. I will call the doctors tomorrow if its still there, just to check it out.

I am from Liverpool, in England, Unfortunately I have never heard of Slaidburn. No doubt you have now got my curiosity and I will look it up....lol.

Thanx again Tina xxx

Old 12-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

Low b12 can cause numbness and tingling in hands and feet etc

Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #5

SparkyB HB User

[QUOTE=Sunny D]Since Yesterday I have had a persistent slightly numb and pins and needles in my left arm and mainly in my finger tips on left hand, I am worried incase it is related to my back. I thought it may be damage to the nerves because I have not had the op maybe, has anyone else experienced this or know what it may be?....Thanx for any help in advance Tina xxx[/QUOTE]

Hi Sunny D,
Just want to say that I had two back surgeries in 2002, for lower back. Woke up from the second surgery (360 fusion for L5-S1), and both of my hands were throbbing. I am still having problems with numbness, tingling, and sometimes pain, when I use them much. But docotrs will always tell you that the hands are related to problems in the neck area. I have found out that I have some compression of the nerve in my neck, and also a bone spur there. I have found that if I do things that irritate the muscles and/or nerves in my neck, that it also works on the problems with my hands. Mine is usually in the thumb and first two fingers.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #6
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Tina, I also have bulging discs, bone spurs and DDD in my neck!! Which also gives me the numb/tingly fingers! This has been going on for 7yrs now, since a car accident, and I worry about permanent nerve damage but my drs don't seem concerned at all!
I also have this same problem in the lumbar area, which gives the numb feet!!
Do you have the sensation that your hand is swelling too?? That one concerns me too!! I'd like to know why things concern us, but not the drs?? Wishing you luck, and hope it's not a pinched nerve in your case, take care!!

out2lunch

Old 12-08-2003, 08:23 AM   #7

Sunny D HB User

[QUOTE=out2lunch]Hi Tina, I also have bulging discs, bone spurs and DDD in my neck!! Which also gives me the numb/tingly fingers! This has been going on for 7yrs now, since a car accident, and I worry about permanent nerve damage but my drs don't seem concerned at all!
I also have this same problem in the lumbar area, which gives the numb feet!!
Do you have the sensation that your hand is swelling too?? That one concerns me too!! I'd like to know why things concern us, but not the drs?? Wishing you luck, and hope it's not a pinched nerve in your case, take care!!

out2lunch[/QUOTE]

Hi out2lunch, I did have a pinched nerve when I was 1st diagnosed after my MRI but I thought that was what was causing the pain in my legs, as these have virtually gone now, I thought maybe the pinched nerve had gone too. But maybe not. Anyway I was just concerned as it was a new sympton and was being quite persistent . I can't get an appointment until thursday, but it has not been as bad today so hopefully it will be gone by then. I did'nt have the swelling feeling fortunately. Thanx for ur reply Tina xxx

Ps. I can't remember, have you opted out of surgery also up to now, out2lunch?
I can remember you are one of the people that used to help me out a lot with advice on here

Old 12-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #8
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

None of my drs have even given surgery as an option for me Tina!! Though I'm not sure I'd take it if it was LOL!! The whole idea scares me to death!!
I hope you're planning on telling this surgeon about all the numbness/tingling even if it's gone away by then? It may come back or have some significance with the surgeon! Take care!

Closed Thread