It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran

standingman HB User
Colonoscopy--any trouble for back patients?

Well, since we discuss everything here.....

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy for "routine screening." The test requires lying on one's left side for 30-60 minutes, which is the "problem side" for me, so that is one concern, although I'm guessing the relaxation meds will help a lot there. Also, as for many, I have certainly noticed that "fullness" in the bowel usually also means discomfort in the back.

Any experience with colonoscopies relevant to back trouble? I should say that, as my name here implies, I am not usually in much pain except with sitting. Thanks for any "tips" (I"ve noticed that bad puns are unavoidable around this subject).

Standingman

Old 12-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #2

larryp HB User
Re: Colonoscopy--any trouble for back patients?

Standingman,
I have had four colonoscopies over the last 15 years due to a history of colon polyps. I have had three back surguries and scheduled for an L5/S1 fusion this month. I have had back pain for years but never had any additional discomfort in my back during a colonoscopy but everyone is different. The colonoscopy is slightly uncomfortable but the meds given prior to this help.
Hope this helps,
Larry
1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User

Larry--First of all, my best wishes for you for your upcoming surgery. Second, many thanks for the helpful word. Best to you,

Standingman

Old 12-08-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Hello StandingMan,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I am five month post op of a two level fusion. Since my surgery I have developed anemia and my dr. had also found internal bleeding, so they had to schedule me for a endoscopy and then a colonoscopy. I just had a colonoscopy about two weeks ago. I too was very worried about having this procedure as my left side is my bad side. To be perfectly honest the worst part was preparing for the exam the night and morning before the exam. I needed to take my pain medication the night before and I am very happy that I did so. Gosh, I am trying to find the right words here..... The frequency of using the bathroom was putting a strain on my back but I am in recovery. After drinking the oral laxative, 15 minutes later I felt as if I had the flu. I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I am only stating my own experience. The morning of my exam the nurse looked at me and asked if I was OK, because not only was my face as white as a ghost so were my lips. When I had to lie on the table the anesthesiologist assisted me very slowly and he did not make me lie on my left die until he had the IV in my arm. They already knew of my condition prior to my exam. You may want to explain things to them beforehand. After I turned to my side I didn't remember anything, as that is how fast the meds worked. Now let me tell you how strong they are.... I don't remember getting dressed afterwards. And I don't remember walking down the lobby to my doctor's office. My husband was brought into the room and I was sitting their with a cup in my hand nearly pouring it over myself. After the exam I did not feel any back pain and it has been a very long time since I said those words. I did stumble out of the office even with my husband at my side and my quad cane on my other side. So if you don't mind please let me make a suggestion. When you bring someone with you as you must for this test, make sure that it is someone that can hold you up as we all react differently to anesthesia.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Good Luck [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread