It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User
Wink Second Surgery

Hello,
I am 32 years old & I had a lumbar laminectomy/discectomy at L5 S1 8 years ago. & I am now back to even worse pain than I ever had before. I recently saw a Dr. who ordered an MRI. Got the MRI back. The Dr says the same disc has larger herniation. He thinks he can get it with a shot. I say okay..... No dice. It did nothing at all. Ive been on disability for the most awful sciatica pain I have ever had in my life & have an appt for another shot at the end of the month. He says if the shot does not work I would have to have a spinal fusion. I have lost control of my bowel on several ocassions. & I have a drop foot on the left. & Sciatica is creeping to my right leg as well. Now I am on perkocet for pain every 4 hours. Which sort of helps because it binds me up. But gives you a false sense of hope cause you think your better than you are. I see a surgeon for his opnion this Thursday. Has anyone else reading this board ever had a similar situation happen? Im wondering why they didnt get the majority of the 'disc juice' on the surgery 8 years ago. I suppose the Dr. will be able to tell me that this Thursday. From what I remember the recovery wasnt too bad from the laminectomy surgery & I only stayed in the hospital one night. I just cant take the pain & not being able to drive or walk or do anything.... Im happy to have found this board though I dont quite know how to use it yet. I have an appt at the end of the month for another try at the shot (keeping fingers crossed)......

Last edited by abrniidgrl; 12-07-2003 at 09:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Second Surgery

Lose of control of your bowels is a major sign a cauda equina syndrome. There should be no playing around with shots, etc....you need surgery. I would not have much faith in a doctor who doesn't recognize the dangers ... please get a second opinion quickly. Cauda equina is not something you can fix any way but surgically....and soon. I hope someone more fully informed about this will answer you soon.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-08-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Welcome Abrniidgrl!!! Please heed Carol's advice and seek another opinion!! I know you said that you're seeing a surgeon on Thursday! I hope this one sees the dangers of losing control of your bowels! I've never had this happen, but in researching my own situation, I've read that losing control is a warning sign! You're in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope things work out for you with this surgeon! Keep us posted, take care!!

Old 12-08-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Inactive

Patmg HB User

Hi Abrniidgrl: The other two people who posted to you are correct! Please let me add that don't waste any time finding out about your spinal situation. I have heard you have 24-48 hours to decompress the nerves that control your bowel or the loss is permanent. Drop foot is another MAJOR sign of a severely pinched nerve and possibly damage to it. However, it sounds like you haven't lost total control, so you may NOT have permanent damage. Please do NOT mess around with this any longer. If it means you must go to the ER for help, do it! Take care and good luck to you, Patmg

Old 12-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

My thoughts and prayers are with you Abrniidgrl!!!

Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a feeling that I will be having a second surgery very shortly. The physical Medicine Dr. that has given me the lumbar shot did do some tests near my rear to see how bad it is. So I think for now Im okay on that front. I mean as far as the next few weeks go. However he is no Surgeon which is why Im seeing a Surgeon this Thursday. I have no doubt it will be no problem to get several opinions at the surgeons office (several Dr's together in the practice). Is there anyone who has read my note who has had a lumbar laminectomy/discectomy & then had to have a second surgery? If so, what was it like? How was the recovery afterward? How did it go as far as getting around afterward? I have heard it is much like having your back welded together & that you cannot move the same way again.... Thanks for all your wonderful support. I really appreciate it.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:07 PM   #7

REC73 HB User

[QUOTE=out2lunch]My thoughts and prayers are with you Abrniidgrl!!![/QUOTE]
Yes, i greatly agree with all the others. Last year my L4-L5 disc ruptured 90% out and i suffered from cauda equina syndrome. My whole mid-section was paralyzed and i had major nerve damage to my bladder in which i had to cath. myself for 6mo. before my function retured. If i had not gotten to the hospital within 48hrs for decompression my surgeon said i may never have regained my bladder and bowel function and i could have been permanently paralyzed. I was 29 and i didn't think it was that serious but thankfully i chose to get to the hospital when i did.

Closed Thread