It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #1

Himes HB User
Weird back pain, SCARED!

Okay I have been experiencing a slight back pain, almost like a tugging or pinched feeling in my lower back (right side only). It almost feels like my hip area as well. It runs down my right leg also, mainly the thigh muscle, but isn't pain as much as it is annoying. The leg pain feels more like a cramp, as if I had been standing all day and need to stretch. My back pain is like a tugging or pinching. It's strange. I am a worrier, so I have come up with a million horrible things it could be. It bothers me all day, but more so at night when I lay down. It is annoying! I am worried, what could this be, is this something serious? I plan to see a doc, but until then could someone help?!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Re: Weird back pain, SCARED!

Hi there!
Sounds similar to what I have. I just had a laminectomy/discectomy on Sept 5th so I'm still trying to get through this.
I have the same tugging/pinching symptoms as you. It is not a great pain but it limits my movement. It would stop me in my tracks too.My thigh would ache considerably. It eventually moved to my ankle and foot. Most of my pain though was in my back. I had a disc trimmed that was pressing on the nerve and lots of bone growth removed too.
I don't mean to scare you, it could just be resolved very easily. My problems went on for awhile and I have other back issues. I would definetely get it checked out though to avoid further damage. Keep me posted on what you find out! I am curious because your symptoms sound so much like mine. I have a major annoyance when I lay down as you do but doesn't seem to stick around just until I get comfortable. Take care!
Good luck to you!
Mistina

[QUOTE=Himes]Okay I have been experiencing a slight back pain, almost like a tugging or pinched feeling in my lower back (right side only). It almost feels like my hip area as well. It runs down my right leg also, mainly the thigh muscle, but isn't pain as much as it is annoying. The leg pain feels more like a cramp, as if I had been standing all day and need to stretch. My back pain is like a tugging or pinching. It's strange. I am a worrier, so I have come up with a million horrible things it could be. It bothers me all day, but more so at night when I lay down. It is annoying! I am worried, what could this be, is this something serious? I plan to see a doc, but until then could someone help?!?![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Mistina; 12-08-2003 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #3

Himes HB User

WOW! I hope mine isn't a major thing. It's weird, like right now as I sit here at work, I am okay. I will feel a slight pinch every so often, but for the most part, it's fine. All day yesterday was fine too, then at night, it started up as I went to lay down. I sleep on my stomach, and thats when it bothers me the most. Weird. I have never had any back problems before. Let me ask you this, do you have any permanent damage b/c of what happened to you? Are you okay now?

Old 12-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I don't really know if I have permanent damage yet. I'm sure I do cause I have a history of back problems. Yours could just be a slight bulging disc. I would definetely get it checked with an MRI though just to see if there is any degeneration or something that can be helped now and you can get yourself on a good exercise regimen to refrain from future problems. Believe me, you definetely want to nip it in the but if you can. Sleeping on your stomache is the absolute worse though. Good luck to ya. Hope you find some good answers.
Mistina
[QUOTE=Himes]WOW! I hope mine isn't a major thing. It's weird, like right now as I sit here at work, I am okay. I will feel a slight pinch every so often, but for the most part, it's fine. All day yesterday was fine too, then at night, it started up as I went to lay down. I sleep on my stomach, and thats when it bothers me the most. Weird. I have never had any back problems before. Let me ask you this, do you have any permanent damage b/c of what happened to you? Are you okay now?[/QUOTE]

Old 12-08-2003, 02:24 PM   #5

Himes HB User

One more quick question. You said sleeping on your stomach is the worst, do you mean as far as pain goes, or do you mean it will make it worse. I have slept on the stomach my whole life, not sure if I can sleep any other way.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=Himes]WOW! I hope mine isn't a major thing. It's weird, like right now as I sit here at work, I am okay. I will feel a slight pinch every so often, but for the most part, it's fine. All day yesterday was fine too, then at night, it started up as I went to lay down. I sleep on my stomach, and thats when it bothers me the most. Weird. I have never had any back problems before. Let me ask you this, do you have any permanent damage b/c of what happened to you? Are you okay now?[/QUOTE]

hello,

do not be afraid. Many people have symptoms like yours and it is usually nothing to worry about unless you have muscle weekness or it causes your entire like to be unhappy. it sounds to me like a sciatic nerve problem This will present itself exactly as you have described. It can be in your hip and leg without back pain also. Follow up with a doctor but be aware if they descibe any treatment too serious at this point. I would think that you might benefit from some physical therapy which has been known to help alot in these cases.

Good Luck
Lisa

Old 12-09-2003, 09:08 AM   #7
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Himes, welcome aboard!! Sorry for what's brought you here!!
I agree with you following up with a dr, but I'd also suggest getting some type of scan done BEFORE any type of physio therapy etc.!!! Always know what's truly going on before anyone messes with your back!!
I hope this isn't anything serious or permanent for you!! I've been living with mine for 7yrs and counting!! It's no fun, and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!! Take care!!

Old 12-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #8
Inactive

Pain Free HB User

Himes,

The nerves coming out of the vertebral column have very specific regions of distribution these are called dermatomes. If the pain/numbness you are experiencing is more in the anterior thigh then your pathology is probably at the L3-L4 level. If it's the lateral thigh it's the L4-L5 level and if it's posterior thigh probably the L5-S1 level. The sciatic nerve which is a bundle of nerves and usually includes the S1, L5, L4 nerves - traverses the buttoch region and then fans out into specific regions.

Your symptoms could be secondary to disc herniation, disc bulging, degenerative disc disease, facet syndrome or simply muscle spasms. Continue conservative therapy (ie. gentle back stretches, proper lifting techniques etc.) if your pain persists, follow-up with your Dr. he/she may inturn order an MRI to evaluate your pathology further.

You may consider treatment with the DRX9000 coupled with postural restoration - it's a conservative therapy and has helped thousands of people.

Good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-16-2003 at 08:15 PM.

Closed Thread