It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
How do you all feel about....

ESIs?? Epidural Spine Injections??
I just got back from my pain dr and he's suggested that I get these injections in the neck and lumbar spine!!
Because my pain fluctuates all day, even on hydromorph contin with percocet for breakthrough, he now wants me on the Fentanyl patch 100s! I'd also like some input on them if anyone has any?? But he's insisting that I think about the ESIs!
I'm not sure how I feel about any of this yet LOL!! I don't know anything about either, and after my bad reaction with the botox injections he'd told me that I wouldn't be able to tolerate any needle procedure!! And now he does??
All I know, is that I'm tired of all of this!! I'm tired of having constant pain, and tired of having to keep increasing meds in hopes of finding relief!! I'm only 35!! What happens when this dr runs out of meds strong enough to help me??
Anyway, any input on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

ribbit HB User
Re: How do you all feel about....

Hi out2lunch. Sorry to hear about your recent MRI results. I have had several ESI's my lumbar back. I have to say they are not the most pleasant things in the world but mine were worth having even if they only gave me a month of relief! I didn't suffer any bad things from them except some soreness and a little increased on the day after.
I know how you feel about being tired of all this! I am too. I can't remember what exactly happen when you had the botox injections. Can you refresh my memory?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 04:59 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Ribbit, thanks for replying!! The botox injections were the worst experience in my life!!! As soon as he injected my low back, I had majorly sharp pain shooting all the way down from my butt, back of the leg and into the top of my foot! This happened with each injection he did, and with each side!! That pain was so horrid, that I actually lifted off the seat each time, and it stayed with me for almost a month after!! I had great difficulty even walking again, and you couldn't touch my legs!! This was right at christmas time last yr too, so it was the worst christmas ever too!
The whole reason I agreed to have it then, was 'cause he'd promised me this was my answer and I'd be painfree for christmas!! Who wouldn't go for that eh?? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and I'd say it's worse then labour, and I've had 3 natural childbirths!!
As for the ESIs?? Was it worth going through the injections to only get one month's relief? How often did you have to go back for more, and why did you stop?
Take care!!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Does anyone else have an opinion on my earlier post??

I'd also like some input on my latest MRI on my neck!! Originally when I had my first MRI, it said that I had one bulging disc, that's it!! Now this....

In the cervical spine, there is straightening of the physiologic cervical lordosis. C1-2 and C2-3 levels are unremarkable.
At C3-4, there is a mild diffuse disc bulge and uncinate hypertrophy but no canal or foraminal compromise.
At C5-6 there is disc degeneration with a small central disc protrusion and uncinate hypertrophy which causes mild canal stenosis and minimal foraminal stenosis, right greater then left.
At C6-7, there is mild diffuse disc bulge and uncinate hypertrophy with no canal or foraminal compromise.
The C7-T1 is unremarkable.

Impression; Degenerative change and small central disc pretrusion at C5-6 causing mild canal and bilateral foraminal narrowing.
Degenerative change at C4-5 resulting in mild foraminal narrowing, right greater then left.

Would you say things are getting progressively worse, and that it's time to see a NS?? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Take care!!

Old 12-10-2003, 10:19 PM   #5

Big Frank HB User

Hi out,
I've had esi injections. They gave me minimal relief and only for a short time, 2 to 4 weeks maybe. They were done in the lumbar spine and followed by the r/f surgery(radio frequency), to get rid of scar tissue. I sent a friend to the same pain doc for his back and knee pain,(overweight guy w/ no prior surgery). He got the same esi program and r/f surgery?

No surgery/no scar tissue? right? Anyway, the bill was 17,500 bucks and my ins company wanted to know what happened to me and who was responsible.

I asked for stronger pain meds and they offered me another shot, NO THANKS.

I changed docs, quit the pm guy, the new doc sent me to the ns. We'll see what happens. good luck, I'll pray for you tonight.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I have had several Esi's with differing results. Sometimes I got great relief for a short time, moderate relief for a long time, mild relief, you get the idea. I would give them a try...also, here is something I have never heard of before or since. I post at several boards and no one has ever heard of this being done but it worked GREAT!
Doc took me to OR for an EPI and added morphine, using versed as anesth. The results were the most wonderful relief I have ever had. Got about 3 months out of it and felt like a new person. I don't know why this method isn't used commonly...it is certainly very effective.
Good luck with your decision.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-12-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

[COLOR=Indigo]Hi Frank, it sounds like you made a good change!! I'll be praying for you too, take care!![/COLOR]

Old 12-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #8

janb HB User

Out2lunch,
I had the injections. One in my lumbar spine and the other in the cervical spine. If you had alot of problems with the botox injections you may want to ask your doctor if he feels you will have alot of pain with these injections. Everyone is so different but I had a bad experience with my injections. My experience sounds just like your experience with the botox. Also I got no relief whatsoever. But like I said everyone is different and they may work wonders on you. My pm doctor told me after my experience with the injections that some people just aren't candidates for these shots. He assured me he would not put me through that experience again. I would talk to your doctor and remind him what he said to you after your botox shots and see what he says. I know us chronic pain sufferers would do almost anything to live painfree so it is probably worth a try. Take care and keep us posted.
Jan

Old 12-12-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Jan, I did just that LOL!! I reminded him of what he'd said about me not being a good candidate after the botox fiasco, and he said that's 'cause you were acting like you wouldn't want anymore needle procedures!! Nice eh? I think he forgot about the botox injections with me and used that as a cop-out! Take care!!

Closed Thread