It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #1

snapd HB User
Unhappy Help!

I am a 6 years into recurrent episodes of back pain, had injections, epidurals, chiro, IDET and fianlly fusion in 2001 and had done okay for a while until I went to work full time and now again facing continued bouts of more severe pain and spasms for quite some time now and am pretty much at the end of my rope and need some words of encouragement/advice from anyone who can address long term problem. I think I feel even more hopeless now since I did have a period of relative normalcy(yet was never 100% pain free but at a tolerable level and able to do more without suffering for it) . I just can't believe this is happening again to this degree and am having tremendous difficulty accepting/coping and I don't post here often but I do know that there are so many of you out there that know exactly what I am going through which unfortunately for all of us sometimes the people in our lives just can't comprehend. I get encouragement from the fact that I am not alone and hearing so many different people tell basically the same story but with of course some personal variations at least validates for me that what I am going through is real and not just in my head. There's no way so many could reiterate the same symptoms without ever even knowing each other. And I see my story in so many of the posts that it just makes me so sad to think that there are so many others contending with this. I was younger when this started but this is wearing me down and the thought of living the rest of my life like this is overwhelming at times. I would like to know how others who are in a more long term situation have learned to manage it. I would appreciate any or all replies. SnapD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
(female)

ribbit HB User
Re: Help!

Hi snapd,

I know what you mean!! I am tired of this too and I have not been suffering as long, but from my appointment yesterday have a long time of suffering to look forward to. I am so sorry that you experience this pain. I'm sorry that all of us do. I try to look at the bright side.... that things could be much worse, but sometimes just get so frustrated. Sometimes I just have to laugh because "if you didn't laugh about it, you'd cry your eyes out." And then sometimes I do have to cry my eyes out.

I have had this stupid back pain for almost 2 years and have had discectomy when I was 23. I had an appointment with the surgeon yesterday and well... it didn't go very well. (I explained in in the need some help... thread) I too had a break from the excruciating pain and was even able to go on vacation and enjoy it! And then it all came crashing down again. I feel so glad and fortunate that I got some relief... enough to enjoy vacation and Yosimite but it made it even worse when all the pain and weakness came back because I got a taste of what I miss.

The way I have been coping is to really enjoy the moments that are "good" ones and to just get through the bad ones. I feel your pain... and it stinks! I am sorry that you are suffering once again. I try and remember that if I got a reprieve once it can happen again and in the mean time try and take care of myself.

You're in my prayers and take good care of yourself. I'll be thinking about you and hoping that each day you feel a little less pain than the day before.

Sincerely,
Ribbit

Old 12-17-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User
Re: Help!

[QUOTE=snapd]I am a 6 years into recurrent episodes of back pain, had injections, epidurals, chiro, IDET and fianlly fusion in 2001 and had done okay for a while until I went to work full time and now again facing continued bouts of more severe pain and spasms for quite some time now and am pretty much at the end of my rope and need some words of encouragement/advice from anyone who can address long term problem. I think I feel even more hopeless now since I did have a period of relative normalcy(yet was never 100% pain free but at a tolerable level and able to do more without suffering for it) . I just can't believe this is happening again to this degree and am having tremendous difficulty accepting/coping and I don't post here often but I do know that there are so many of you out there that know exactly what I am going through which unfortunately for all of us sometimes the people in our lives just can't comprehend. I get encouragement from the fact that I am not alone and hearing so many different people tell basically the same story but with of course some personal variations at least validates for me that what I am going through is real and not just in my head. There's no way so many could reiterate the same symptoms without ever even knowing each other. And I see my story in so many of the posts that it just makes me so sad to think that there are so many others contending with this. I was younger when this started but this is wearing me down and the thought of living the rest of my life like this is overwhelming at times. I would like to know how others who are in a more long term situation have learned to manage it. I would appreciate any or all replies. SnapD.[/QUOTE]

Hi SnapD, Ribbit, grivis,

It's difficult, and aint gettin any easier, but my phylosophy is to stay as busy (active (in my case this includes sitting up)) as possible and maintain a positive outlook no matter what happens. Grasping those "moments that are "good" ones" and making the best of them and "making" those moments that are good ones, is life. We just have to think about it a little harder than most. I used to be very pain tolerant and worked thru the stuff untill my body revolted and gave me two more symptoms that sent me home. I have consentrated on the lifesyle changes. Finding alternate ways to do things, that cause you pain, has brought me the most joy, ie:adding a handle to a rake so I can drag it with one hand. Giving up those things we love so much to do is the cause of many tears I'm sure. Find new passions, hobbies, causes, you name it, as we all know, if you aren't thinking about it, its not there. The big P that is. One of my main lifters is thinking it could have been the big C and I'd be dead now. No, Life is good, whats a little pain anyway. Our life is what it is, and we are the ones that must learn to deal with it. I hope this helps a bit and may your comfort levels and spirits rise. (if they don't, MAKE EM)

Closed Thread