It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Angry hardware failure

Hey,

I need to know if anyone else has experience with their hardware moving. My cage has shifted and is pressing on the nerve Doctor says he hasnt seen this before.
I opted for both procedures from the back rather than a 360.
I sure hope someone has experience with this I find out tues. if another complete surgery is necessary
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 01:10 AM   #2

byrdwoman HB User
Re: hardware failure

[QUOTE=ltedeschi]Hey,

I need to know if anyone else has experience with their hardware moving. My cage has shifted and is pressing on the nerve Doctor says he hasnt seen this before.
I opted for both procedures from the back rather than a 360.
I sure hope someone has experience with this I find out tues. if another complete surgery is necessary
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi Itedeshi,

In 98 i had the BAK cages in levels L4-5..5-S1 two levels. This was my 2nd back surgery. I don't know if you had the BAK cages, but with my cages the bone did not fuse. Several months after my surgery i was then told that the cages that were used are defective. The corners on the cage is so sharp that it sinks into the bone that is centered around the cages. This is now a common problem i hear from my new surgeon. So my cages are sinking into the bone so bad that i need to have the rods put in to stablize my spine. With 2 failed back surgeries i want to be absolutely sure that i am making the right decision. I have a discogram scheduled for the 30th of this month to determine if this area is the only problem area.
I heard of another patient that had the cages as well and hers are collapsing. My new doctor (SF 49ers team of docs) of 2 yrs now specializes in failed back surgeries. He is against the BAK cages. Especially 2 or more levels. He says he is cleaning alot of BAK cages procedures up. My advice to you is do what you are doing and find out as much as you can. From me to you i think getting the rods to support the cages is the only other way. Good luck and everything will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 04:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

Thanks for your reply. My doctor put the rods in this time to help support my spine. The way he described it I would think that yes you need the rods to help relieve some pressure.
The rods help maintain everything. He thinks it was due to doing both procedures from the back I didn't want a 360.
I find out Tues. if I have to redo it all.
Good Luck to you and let me know what happens.
You said your fusion failed before because the bone didn't grow, do you smoke or did you take any anti-inflamatory medication after surgery?

Thanks
Lisa

Old 12-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #4

acme HB User

byrdwoman,
My Doc told me the same thing about the BAK cage before my Fusion. Glad I knew
before hand! I had the good "OL" Rods & screws installed!

Old 12-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=acme]byrdwoman,
My Doc told me the same thing about the BAK cage before my Fusion. Glad I knew
before hand! I had the good "OL" Rods & screws installed![/QUOTE]

I actually have the good ole rods and screws also. They are still in place its this cage that is causing the problem, however he will have to take out screws to fix cage and then put them back. I'm not sure what this will do to the spine.
How are you doing since your fusion?

Lisa

Old 12-11-2003, 12:46 PM   #6

acme HB User
Cool Re: hardware failure

I'm doing Great! 26 mos Pain & Drug(Meds.) free!! Life is wonderful at 55yrs. old. Hurt my back when I was 38!!

Old 12-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

[QUOTE=acme]I'm doing Great! 26 mos Pain & Drug(Meds.) free!! Life is wonderful at 55yrs. old. Hurt my back when I was 38!![/QUOTE]

That is definitely good news

Old 12-11-2003, 05:52 PM   #8

acme HB User

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by acme; 12-11-2003 at 05:53 PM.

Closed Thread