It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 07:57 PM   #1

Big Frank HB User
Botox injection info?

My Neurologist wants to give me Botox for lower back pain. Has anyone had this done?

I had a Laminectomy, L4-L5 in 99. I've had problems ever since. I'm 6 foot six, 250 pounds.

I have a bulging disc at L3-L4 now that's pressing on the nerve root along with DDD and the stuff is creeping up to my neck and shoulders. I'm a heavy Equipment Mechanic, OUCH.

I take Lortab, Elavil, and Celebrex

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Botox injection info?

Hi, welcome to the board!! I also have bulging discs with DDD etc. in my lumbar as well as my neck!! I have had botox injections in the lumbar area and it was the worst I've ever had done in the 7yrs I've been dealing with CP!!
I'd hate to be the one to stop anyone from aquiring adequate pain relief, but I can't not tell you what happened to me!
It was my pain management dr that gave me the injections but he's suppose specialize in many other fields as well, such as aneastetics (sp?) etc. So I don't know if having a neuro do it, would have better results! You may want to find out just how many he's done and how many had bad results first!!
I found out that my pm dr had had two failures but had done hundreds of these, and I thought it was worth a shot if it meant I'd be pain free for Christmas and I'd never know if it was the answer I'd been looking for til I tried it!
He wanted to inject my head, neck, lumbar and hips, but I was still nervous about having it done! So I agreed to let him inject the lumbar only to see if it would work, (lumbar's the worst of my pain)!
Anyway, he did this right in his office with me facing my back to him as I sat in a chair! As soon as he injected the right side of my lumbar, I had majorly sharp pain shooting in my back, down my hip, butt, back of the leg and into the top of my foot!! The same thing happened when he injected the left side!!
When it happened the first time, I lifted right off the seat I was in so much pain, but he didn't even stop what he was doing!! The next thing I knew, he injected the left side and once again I lifted up off the seat, and he made no comment about it!
When I told him what had happened each time, he said nothing, which I was later told that he'd hit the nerve!! Of course he denies it, and says that's impossible!
I ended up having that same pain constantly, day in and day out for 3 weeks!! I could hardly walk, and noone could touch my legs!! Instead of painfree for Christmas, I had the worst Christmas of my life!!
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and that's why I can't just sit here and say nothing!!! But at the same time, I know if I hadn't had it done, to this day I'd still be wondering if it would've worked for me!
The best you can do, is to ask as many questions and research as much as you can! Atleast until you're completely satisfied that you've made the right decision!!
I know that everyone's different, and react to things differently! But, you need to know what can happen, and that there are many risks to having it done too!
I wish you luck! Let us know what you decide, and how it turned out if you do decide to have it done! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 11:07 PM   #3

Big Frank HB User

Whoa man! sorry you had to suffer like that. Thanks for the message.

I forgot to mention that I had a real bad car accident in 86 that banged me up pretty good too.

Don't know if I'm going to try botox or not. I've already had about 24 needles stuck in my back this year.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

[COLOR=Indigo]Just want you to know that I'm sending positive thoughts and plenty of prayers your way Frank! Sounds like we both could use them, take care!![/COLOR]

Closed Thread