It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User
Angry frustration

I am completely frustrated. I saw a surgeon this morning. He looked at my MRI from 8 years ago & from a few weeks ago. Said he would not have operated 8 years ago. & Would not cut me back open to operate now! Says it could do more harm than good. He asked NOTHING about my pain. & is sending me for a myelogram to see if my nerve root is being pinched. I DO realize a majority of this problem is due to the fact that this is (Kaiser) yech! :P (long story for those of you who dont have experience with Kaiser healthplans) I recall my previous Surgeon who is out till Feb 4th telling me its not the size of the herniation (4mm) its the amount of dabilitating pain your in or sciatica you have. Sorry Im just so frustrated & teary eyed right now I can hardly think straight/clearly. The epidural shot did nothing for me. I have an appt. for another one in a few weeks. I will go for this myelogram he ordered. As he said he will do something surgically if it shows the nerve is compromised. Any thoughts anyone? Any suggestions. I cant sit in a chair longer than 10 minutes at a time & I am out in disability. On Percocet for pain. Also am on 200 mg Topamax for Migaraine prevention. ran out last week. woah nelly! Could not even sit at all!!! I had no idea it was also given as a nerve agent! It is an excellent Migraine preventative for anyone who knows anyone in need of it. I have been on bed rest from my physical medicine Dr. since Oct 31 still no dice. I have the worst sciatica of my entire life! & am not a happy camper. Its way worse than it was 8 years ago. I had a laminectomy/discectomy at L5/S1 after a serious rear end car accident then. & I have had 3 serious falls down three different flights of stairs in the past 1 1/2 years. This same Dr. I saw today also told me that I should see a regular Dr. because I have lost control of my bowel on several ocassions. He said I must have a GI broblem. Huh?!? What the F?@#??? Oh ok... Yeah I have a GI problem.... I dont have a GI problem.... I never had that kind of a problem before!!!!!!!!! I dont think so!!!!!!!!! I dont think anyone that is on any of these back problem message boards that has had an accident in their pants could ever imagine being spoken to like that!!!!!!!!!! Lucky me..................... What a day..............................................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #2

kathy372001 HB User
Re: frustration

Hello,
Im sorry your having such a hard time it sucks doesnt it. I had the problems
like you do with the accidents but they told me it was not GI problems it was
irrated bowle sydrome but the sad part about it is I told them my problems and
they didnt do any tests.
Anyway I hope things get better for you I did the bed rest thing for 2 weeks it sucks laying there.
I got hurt last Oct 2002 and now im in a wheel chair and it sucks .
THanks \
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 12-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User

Hi abrniidgrl and welcome

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles....it really sucks. I gave a few suggestions to some other sciatic sufferers (since nothing is getting done right now why not try out some things to give you some temporary relief?).

I'd tell you the thread if I could remember which one I posted it on....hehe (sorry). So I'll do my best to remember them all.

(1) ICE - ICE - ICE. Ice is your friend. It keeps the inflamation down so that your sciatic nerve can "breath a little". Ice for 20 min. every hour (so you ice for 20 min. wait an hour and then 20 min. wait an hour, etc.). Use the ice gel paks, they are the best (it's worth the few bucks investment). Never put ice packs directly on skin...I like pillow cases to cover my packs if my clothes aren't enough barrier.
(2) Get as much sleep as possible. I know the pain keeps you from sleeping, but Valerian Root is a good sleep enhancer. Our body and (especially) our nerves can only repair themselves when your body is static or dormant. Resting doesn't count....but cat naps do. You must be in the deeper stages of sleep. When you aren't moving and your auto-immune system has only to deal with the "here & now", your healing powers are at their peak. Otherwise, they can't deal with that stuff when being constantly bombarded with our dirty environment (all the way to the air we breath).
(3) MYOCALM. I found that to be the best herbal treatment for sciatica on the market. It is really hard to find and you may be lucky enough to find something by going to a search engine in typing in the name. It stops that "electric" feeling running through your legs, it stops the twitches (or at least minimizes them) and it takes the BITE out of the sciatic shocks (you all who have experienced them know exactly what I'm talking about).
(4) Pelvic Tilts. Do them correctly and you will have a new best friend (right next to your ice pack). Lay horizontally with knees up and feet flat on the floor. Without moving any body parts intentionally.....visualize yourself bringing your bellybutton down to touch your spine. Doing 3 sets of 6 will hopefully give your sciatic enough space to function a little better (so less or no more sciatic shocks as well as less twitching). If anything causes a sharp pain...stop immediately. This movement is barely visible to someone watching...so that would be your cue to move less and "imagine" more. Put your hands on your hips and you will feel the tiny movement that will hopefully give you some relief from your daily sciatica.

hmmmm.....I am thinking there is a 5. Darn. Can't think of it right now. But these should help a little. BTW....I took Myocalm when I was also taking vicodin or percocet, soma, an anti-inflammatory, a laxative and zantac. No adverse affects.

Take care and good luck.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I know how Kaiser can be I suffered for years until a job change for my husband provided better coverage.

The bowel problems concern me. You could have a condition knows as Cauda equina which although I am sure isn't spelled correctly could have permanent damage to your ability to control your bowels. Please investigate this farther on your own.
You must demand better performance from Kaiser dr. they are trained to only do what is necessary to prevent a lawsuit (I believe from my experience)

Good Luck and keep learning you are your best advocate, noone else knows what you are going through and that includes your doctors

Closed Thread