HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Pinched Nerve Madness !!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/134078-pinched-nerve-madness.html)

spicychick78 12-12-2003 07:11 AM

Pinched Nerve Madness !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. Im a Canadian female from hamilton ontario.This is my first time being on this message board and might I say its very informational.Now,,the problem Im having is a pincehd nerve. I went to the hospital because my doc was not availble and I needed to know what the heck was going on. I have depression as well and this situation has put me in a more depressed state and have a hard time monitering my moods because of my pinched nerve. I think Id be alot happier without it with ovious reasons being that I feel like a 80 yr old woman when I gt out of bed in the morning and Im onley 25. I dont know how I did this at all. Could be that sitting at the computer day in and day out with out the proper support was the reason of all this.so now I have just started pyso and that was 2 days ago. Im not having good hopes of it but also need lots of reasurance that its gonna turn out good in the end because I cant stand the pain. I dont take anything either becasue Im a recovering addict and taking that many extra strenth tynols proberly would not do wonders for my body. (as directed even) So I dont really know if the internet has screwed up my back , i have not yet ruled that out as the suspect but I think it could have to do with the 3 injurys Ive had on my back as a result of my clumseyness.When i was 12 i slid down the stairs on every step with my tailbone,second time was the same thing at 23 ( both accidental) 3rd was (24)high on marijuana and me wanting to know whats its like to ride down an escalator rail.LOL (ok ,it was funny as soon as i whiped my tears) Yup, never cared about the consecuences of my actions when I was abusing drugs.I acually flew in the air and on to the ground on my arse.I also never got checked out because since I was abusing drugs and drugs were abusing me I never cared enough about myself to go get checked.So I have been soaber from drugs and alochol for a full year and 2 months and getting my mental heath taken care of and getting my back checked and pyso.My doc said it was not nessassary to get an xray or scan of my back wich fustrates me and I dont think hes taking me seriousley so I have no idea how to handle this at home either. How should I sit, sleep , pick up things ( i know , bend with my knees ) but that hurts too and it takes me 2 hours just to pick up something or even wash my hands and face inthe sink in the morning. I know I should ask my pyso person what i should do but does anyone have any good remidies I can do at home.The pain also shoots down my leg. My pincehd nerve is in my lower half of my right buttcheek and shooting though my tail bone down my right leg. Im also wondering if there is someoene that has been in a simler situation that has went fully though pyso and has it worked for you. once again , i need reassurance and ifo on what I should do . And for the record im sitting in frount of my computer with a comfortable chair and support.:) I go to pyso 3 times a week and they said this madness should be all over in 6- 8 weeks. Thanls for your time and please reply :) Sandra

Patmg 12-12-2003 02:02 PM

Re: Pinched Nerve Madness !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sandra: I have relatives in Canada. We used to go to Montreal all the time when I was a child.

I thought people who smoked marijuana tended to sit at home and get "the munchies". I am very sorry to hear about your addiction problems and yes, it sounds like you've done some "wild and crazy" things. You are not the first person to do things "under the influence" that were not in your best interest. Just move ahead with your life, be aware (forever) that you have an addictive personality. From what you are saying, any type of mood altering substance, for you, could possibly cause addiction. Never believe you can handle any mood altering substance. From what you said in your post, you just can't do any types of these substances. There are ways to "get high on life", but they take more work than reaching for a mood altering substance. However, you will have a much greater feeling of overcoming obsticles by doing the right thing rather than the easy thing which is succumbing to the addictive cycle.

It sounds like you have sciatica; however, your lumbar spine has two large nerves in it that operate your legs. All of these nerves are braided, thus, it can be difficult for a doctor to find the exact nerve that is pinched. Thus, the doctors run the x-rays to check your spine. If you are in the pain you are and it takes 2 hours to pick something up, this is a red flag that you have a real problem somewhere. Docs tend to dismiss young people who complain of back pain. I've seen this before. There is a type of physical therapy called "McKenzie Physical therapy" that may possibly help you; however, from what I remember (it has been 10 years now), you cannot have pain below the knee to do these exericises. You need a proper diagnosis as to what is going on in your spine prior to any physcial therapy. The wrong moves could herniate a bulged disk. You must tell either your doctor or physical therapist about what you are going through! This is very important and you are going to have to nag and nag and nag them to deal with whatever is going on! (I really hate it when doctors don't believe people!!!!!) I do know of one exercise that you could try to help severe pain of the lumbar spine. Lay flat on your back on the floor, preferably on a mat. Put your knees up with your feet flat on the floor. Slowly, straight out one leg and while you are straightening out the one leg, try to bring your other knee to your chest. Do the same with the other leg. Do this very, very slowly and gently. Do not pull hard on your knee that you bring to your chest and do not do any type of a tugging type motion on that knee. This is supposed to help settle down severe pain for a little while. I have found if my left leg hurts, bring that leg to a knee bent position and straighten out the right leg. Just lay there like that. I can actually feel the spinal disk move (soft tissue) off the left leg and it will move to the center and to the right leg. Then, at least, the one nerve that is being pinched is getting a little relief, at least for a little while. You must realize, I have had many MRI's and x-rays. The docs know what is going on in my back. Unfortunately, without xrays no one knows what is going on in your back and that issue must be dealt with soon! This is why you must proceed with caution. Also, strengthening your stomach muscles helps the back. Walking is great for the low back. But you must contact your doc or physo asap! When you drive the car or sit, put a lumbar roll (or a rolled up towel) in the curve of your lumbar spine. This helps keep the vertebre apart, should you have a spinal disk giving you trouble. (That is usually what causes a pinched nerve or it could be a spased muscle pinching a nerve.) Also, try some anti-inflammatories (Motrin, Alleve, etc., which are non-addictive). It often takes these drugs 2 weeks to really begin to notice the inflammation get less. Take care and good luck in all things, Patmg

jodawa50 12-12-2003 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=spicychick78]Hi. Im a Canadian female from hamilton ontario.This is my first time being on this message board and might I say its very informational.Now,,the problem Im having is a pincehd nerve. I went to the hospital because my doc was not availble and I needed to know what the heck was going on. I have depression as well and this situation has put me in a more depressed state and have a hard time monitering my moods because of my pinched nerve. I think Id be alot happier without it with ovious reasons being that I feel like a 80 yr old woman when I gt out of bed in the morning and Im onley 25. I dont know how I did this at all. Could be that sitting at the computer day in and day out with out the proper support was the reason of all this.so now I have just started pyso and that was 2 days ago. Im not having good hopes of it but also need lots of reasurance that its gonna turn out good in the end because I cant stand the pain. I dont take anything either becasue Im a recovering addict and taking that many extra strenth tynols proberly would not do wonders for my body. (as directed even) So I dont really know if the internet has screwed up my back , i have not yet ruled that out as the suspect but I think it could have to do with the 3 injurys Ive had on my back as a result of my clumseyness.When i was 12 i slid down the stairs on every step with my tailbone,second time was the same thing at 23 ( both accidental) 3rd was (24)high on marijuana and me wanting to know whats its like to ride down an escalator rail.LOL (ok ,it was funny as soon as i whiped my tears) Yup, never cared about the consecuences of my actions when I was abusing drugs.I acually flew in the air and on to the ground on my arse.I also never got checked out because since I was abusing drugs and drugs were abusing me I never cared enough about myself to go get checked.So I have been soaber from drugs and alochol for a full year and 2 months and getting my mental heath taken care of and getting my back checked and pyso.My doc said it was not nessassary to get an xray or scan of my back wich fustrates me and I dont think hes taking me seriousley so I have no idea how to handle this at home either. How should I sit, sleep , pick up things ( i know , bend with my knees ) but that hurts too and it takes me 2 hours just to pick up something or even wash my hands and face inthe sink in the morning. I know I should ask my pyso person what i should do but does anyone have any good remidies I can do at home.The pain also shoots down my leg. My pincehd nerve is in my lower half of my right buttcheek and shooting though my tail bone down my right leg. Im also wondering if there is someoene that has been in a simler situation that has went fully though pyso and has it worked for you. once again , i need reassurance and ifo on what I should do . And for the record im sitting in frount of my computer with a comfortable chair and support.:) I go to pyso 3 times a week and they said this madness should be all over in 6- 8 weeks. Thanls for your time and please reply :) Sandra[/QUOTE]

Hey Spicychick, Welcome, and I'm new too (and Canuk). Congrats on your recovery. Keep it up eh. For your back I would say follow your phisio, maintain your posture, do pelvic tilts alot (can be done anywhere) and above all take good care of yourself because it (the back) will only get worse as you age. This is something like your recovery as you will have to maintain it (good habits) for life. Good luck and do your exercises.

Standingman1 12-13-2003 11:55 AM

Hi Spicychick--I want to strongly support the notion of getting a fuller work-up for your symptoms, especially imagery (probably MRI). I hope you can persuade your doc to do that. Any exercise program can be dicey if you don't have a pretty good idea what is actually going on. Walking, as long as it is tolerable, is probably safest, but even that should be based on the clearest sense of what is causing your pain. Good luck,

Standingman