It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #1

moondancer659 HB User
cervical fusion

hello i havent seemed to have any replys to my other posts and i cant find the ccervical board.I am having a C2-3 antior diskectomy and fusion for the first operation the second operation the doc wants to do is a postier lamiendiety lateral mass fusion from C3-7. I have some how herianited every disk in my neck with a massive bulg in C2 which orotrudes into the spinal colunm about half way.he said that i also have calicafaction from level 4-7 that is over lying my spinal column I am only 40 years old Has any had this or know anything like this. also does anyone know where the other cevical message board is its how i found this one but can't seem to get back there thank you
moondancer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Inactive

Patmg HB User
Re: cervical fusion

[QUOTE=moondancer659]hello i havent seemed to have any replys to my other posts and i cant find the ccervical board.I am having a C2-3 antior diskectomy and fusion for the first operation the second operation the doc wants to do is a postier lamiendiety lateral mass fusion from C3-7. I have some how herianited every disk in my neck with a massive bulg in C2 which orotrudes into the spinal colunm about half way.he said that i also have calicafaction from level 4-7 that is over lying my spinal column I am only 40 years old Has any had this or know anything like this. also does anyone know where the other cevical message board is its how i found this one but can't seem to get back there thank you
moondancer[/QUOTE]
Hi Moondancer: I have a failed fusion in my neck. I had a single fusion at C5-6 and the vertebre shifted and all the vertebre above that level collaspsed down. The bone plug (fusion) is 1/2 in and 1/2 out of my spinal canal. That is the way it sits to this day. My neck is taking a great deal of pressure right now. I know I will be looking at a multi-level fusion eventually. I know the pain you have; I have 14 degenerating spinal disks; I am a 55 year old woman who did heavy lifting for years. I had an anterior fusion (single level), too. My neck and lumbar spine have multi-level disk degeneration, plus I have some in my thoracic spine. This condition tends to be inherited. My back problems started at 43. We have 3 kids and they already have signs of this condition. (34, 28 and 22 years old.) You are not alone in being so young for this stuff.

I have a friend that had a triple level fusion with instrumentation in her neck. She has massive calcification of her neck. After her surgery, my friend did NOT wear her neck brace tight enough. If you do this surgery, you must be sure to wear your neck brace snug, as I was told. Due to the fact she didn't wear her brace tight enough, a screw shifted in her neck and she finds it difficult to swallow. So far, she has not returned to her doctor to deal with a possible 2nd neck surgery. This woman is in a great deal of pain. She is on opiate pain meds. She used to be a heavy drinker, thus, she felt no pain in her neck until it got so bad. The doctors told her if she is rear ended in a car with the amount of calcification she has, she could be paralyzed. Unfortunately, my friend is not sitting next to me so I can ask her questions. If you have more questions, I will try to reach her and (she has no phone; we are up in the forests of Wash. state; this is a poor area and many people here have no phones) she would be happy to answer anything you may have to ask her. Her fusion was done anteriorly, too. Take care, Patmg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User

[QUOTE=moondancer659]hello i havent seemed to have any replys to my other posts and i cant find the ccervical board.I am having a C2-3 antior diskectomy and fusion for the first operation the second operation the doc wants to do is a postier lamiendiety lateral mass fusion from C3-7. I have some how herianited every disk in my neck with a massive bulg in C2 which orotrudes into the spinal colunm about half way.he said that i also have calicafaction from level 4-7 that is over lying my spinal column I am only 40 years old Has any had this or know anything like this. also does anyone know where the other cevical message board is its how i found this one but can't seem to get back there thank you
moondancer[/QUOTE]

Hey Moondancer, Have you tried Neck Reference.com. You may find some answers there.

Old 12-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Hello Moondancer,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards. I am very sorry to hear of your pain. I also suffer from cervical pain and my neuro surgeon has told me that I need a cervical fusion. If you click on the Home button on the top of this page and then stroll down until you see the board titled, "Spinal Cord Disorder's," I think you may find many threads dealing with cervical issue's. I have visited this board occasionally. I do wish you the very best.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #5

moondancer659 HB User

thank you for replying,I am sorry for all that are in pain it is not a nice thing.I have also been told if i was read ended i would be parlized.I have been a hairdresser for 17 years and today of all people I stabbed (but thank God didnt cut ) my general doctor in the forhead. I have been down to half days and will have to take a medical leave right after Christmas.My general doc said also that the califaction i guess is stynosis. Pat what do they say about the disc in the spinal colum mine is at C2 and that alone scares me to death.thank you all and I will check out the other sites. May the angels be with you all
moondancer

Old 12-13-2003, 10:25 PM   #6

pinecone HB User
Unhappy Re: cervical fusion

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=2]

I agree you have to use the neck brace to brace your neck. If it is to loose you can have problems!

I have had anterior and post terior and wore the brace.
I also have calcium build up, that is going to have to be removed in the next few months.

pinecone

Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 AM   #7
Inactive

Patmg HB User

Hi Moondancer: We just got a bunch of snow and we are supposed to get more. I have to go to this lady's house, as I have some other things to take to her. I promise I will talk to her, but until we get plowed out of here (it is Sunday; they don't plow on Sundays here), we aren't going too far. (Glad I food shopped yesterday!)

Another site that you will have to sign up for is called [url]www.whiplash101.com[/url]. I used to go there often before my computer got a virus, and it does appear the site has changed. (I always hesitate to sign up for things, as then I tend to get spam; I remember this was an excellent neck site. You can even check the spot on your arms, for example that hurt, and they show you, right while you are on the computer, what cervical level affects what. Also, I read somewhere on this board (and maybe it was even to you, can't remember and I don't want to move around this site until I post this--typing is painful) that someone knew somebody whose entire spine fused itself and that person gets around fine! I have got to find that post; I have been worried and scared about my spinal troubles, too. Also, if you do have the fusion (which it sounds like you are going to have to do to protect that main spinal nerve), do NOT take anti-inflammatories while the fusion is trying to fuse. They say opiates are better than anti-inflammatories during the time while you are waiting for the bones to fuse. I did use anti-inflammatories, as my doc perscribed them. The article I read this in came out about 9 months after my fusion; they just figured this out after my fusion. Talk to your doctor about this; I did read it; maybe that was my problem. Take care, Patmg.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #8

gailyp HB User
Lightbulb Re: cervical fusion

I had a cervical fusion at C-7 five years ago. Today, I face another fusion on C6& C-8. I'm told that once you have fusions, the disk above and below seem to herniate too!! I am in horrid pain all the time. Pain runs down my left arm, with tingling numbing pain in my thumb and two other fingers. I've heard physical therapy helps....but what kind????
[QUOTE=Patmg]Hi Moondancer: I have a failed fusion in my neck. I had a single fusion at C5-6 and the vertebre shifted and all the vertebre above that level collaspsed down. The bone plug (fusion) is 1/2 in and 1/2 out of my spinal canal. That is the way it sits to this day. My neck is taking a great deal of pressure right now. I know I will be looking at a multi-level fusion eventually. I know the pain you have; I have 14 degenerating spinal disks; I am a 55 year old woman who did heavy lifting for years. I had an anterior fusion (single level), too. My neck and lumbar spine have multi-level disk degeneration, plus I have some in my thoracic spine. This condition tends to be inherited. My back problems started at 43. We have 3 kids and they already have signs of this condition. (34, 28 and 22 years old.) You are not alone in being so young for this stuff.

I have a friend that had a triple level fusion with instrumentation in her neck. She has massive calcification of her neck. After her surgery, my friend did NOT wear her neck brace tight enough. If you do this surgery, you must be sure to wear your neck brace snug, as I was told. Due to the fact she didn't wear her brace tight enough, a screw shifted in her neck and she finds it difficult to swallow. So far, she has not returned to her doctor to deal with a possible 2nd neck surgery. This woman is in a great deal of pain. She is on opiate pain meds. She used to be a heavy drinker, thus, she felt no pain in her neck until it got so bad. The doctors told her if she is rear ended in a car with the amount of calcification she has, she could be paralyzed. Unfortunately, my friend is not sitting next to me so I can ask her questions. If you have more questions, I will try to reach her and (she has no phone; we are up in the forests of Wash. state; this is a poor area and many people here have no phones) she would be happy to answer anything you may have to ask her. Her fusion was done anteriorly, too. Take care, Patmg[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread