It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
orthotics and type of shoes to wear

Hi, after 8 years of chronic back pain and trying nearly everything I am now going for orthotics, my pelvis is unlevel and leans down to my right, my spine is also heading down and I am developing disc bulges etc. I also have spinal rotation to the right. My podiatrist says my right leg has a functional difference of 1cm. My question is what kind of shoes can you wear with orthotics, will I be trapped in sneakers or can I wear strappy sandals, I just dont know what type to buy, I guess I will have to chuck out a lot of flip flop type shoes. Your advice is appreciated. Because of the holidays I am unable to have my orthotics for a month or so.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User
Re: orthotics and type of shoes to wear

Hey Cinderalla, Never thought I'd be talking to you. First of all the orthodics must fit in the shoe so anything with points are out. There are actually a number of places the cater to the worker and its amazing the choices they have when it comes to orthodics. You will pay more but its worth it. Other than that all I can say is make sure they have soft soles. I've been wearing orthods for five years now and they have helped considerably. Good luck and happy shopping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Cinderella,

Hi, I am 24 years old but have been in orthotics for about 15 years. My knees turn in as do my feel and i have collapsed arches. I love my orthotics to death and really going without them means a hell of a lot of pain.

I work in a gym so i live in my sneakers but it does get frustrating as to what else i can wear my orthotics in. There are some brands where you can have orthotics in and they are nice strappy shoes (the sole is deeper so that the orthotic fits into them) but they do have to be specifically for orthotics. I live in Australia so i wont give you the brand names because i dont know that they have the same brands where you are.

Hope this helps
Brooke

Old 12-29-2003, 01:25 PM   #4

Badlands HB User

Shox by Nike, expensive, but absorb a lot of the impact from walking before it gets to the bad back.

I have experimented time and time again, harder shoes = more back pain with minimal walking.

Old 12-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

jchernyb HB User

Wow, I have herniation at L2-L3 and L3-L4 but my right hip and groin area have been hurting me considerably lately. When I sit in a chair and try and get up, if the chair is too low, I have a horrible time trying to stand. It feels like my right hip is going out of socket and piercing pain in the right groin area. Maybe there is hope with the right kind of shoes or insoles. Will someone elaborate a little more on this orthodics please? Thanks alot!

Closed Thread