It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Inactive

waves2ya HB User
Philosophic Coping...

This is a carry over from the Post-IDET thread... Tho' I'm still looking forward to hear from Ms. Tennisnut, I'm veering off-topic from that thread and into another ditch.

[QUOTE=standingman]
T'nut and waves--how you be? [/QUOTE]

"Is what it is" StandingMan, is what it is.

One day will offer me hope; I'll sleep reasonably well, work out some, sit in my chair at my office fielding inane questions without my lower back on fire and it feels great that, on this day, I'm not going to Jekyll & Hyde some poor soul. Then, the next (nothing's changed, nothing!) and it will be despair. Another sleepless night of back pain and anxiety, dreams about where this could end will be and what might come - my child will ask me to do something simple ("daddy, fix this") and my palms sweat trying to calm the knife turning in my back - and I dread my office chair.

I've begun myofacsial PT; kind of high tech massage coupled with *more freakin' little excercises*. I'm scouring the 'net for stories of recovery from DDD; one DO that I've begun to trade notes with offered this thought re: DDD and his practice: [I] "...Not all back pain is reversible. the nature of a degenerating disc is ingrowth of abnormal tissue carrying it's own nerve and blood supply. Pressure on the disc then is painful - sitting causing the majority of problems. We look at the entire kinetic chain when simple rest and rehab arent enough. Calf and hamstring restriction, iliopsoas restriction, inhibition of lower abs etc. It's not a simple process. All this assumes weight is near ideal..." [/I] The myofacsial PT, then, is an attempt to finger through my kinetic chain...

And the back injury dichotomies are killing me. Is it that "... a car accident of force that changes your skeletal structure..." or "... sneeze, and you can herniate a disk...". How about "... recovery requires patience; 80% (or is it 90% or 140%) of back pain spontaneously resolves..." or Chirogeeks new posted study - "... six months conservative care conclusively determines surgerical success (herinations)...". Then there's great notion of a DDD 'autofuse' - mother nature is taking us all that way, right? So - what, 400,000 Americans want to beat her to the punch by fusing first, annually? Dig through this journal and so many names fade; did they get better and move on? No time for posting because they are now doing jigs...? Or just washed out by the never ending wave hard luck back tales...

Our backboard is so sobering. The stories that post up, day after day, are by kindred spirits who comprehend fully this pain and suffering better than I. Many are experientially on the next floor up and I'm an escalator quick stepping in the opposite direction - and losing momentum with any bobbled move...

Again - T, thinkin' of ya and SM - good luck on your lumboexploration

~waves

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread