It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 09:08 PM   #1

kkoch HB User
Who's had multiple back surgeries

I have been told by several physicians that once you have the first back surgery, 99% of the time you will need multiple surgeries. I had lumbar discetomy this past Sept and now they are talking about a fusion. I was wondering how many of you have had multiple surgeries, the time span, and the reasons? If this info is substantiated, I may seriously consider just living with this horrble pain.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User
Re: Who's had multiple back surgeries

Hi Koch,
It totally depends on your situation. How much deterioration to other discs, what you do for a living,(Life-style). I damaged two discs in 84, had first fusion in 86 and with many changes to my lifestyle, managed to make the second disc last 14 years prior to second fusion in 2000. That was after surgeon said it may only last a month. Everyone is different and in my case the fusions were a good thing. Over all, I will never forget the first words out of the sergeons mouth." You are probably going to be in pain for the rest of your life". To date he is the only Dr. whom has told me the truth, so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Above all, do your homework and try all other avenues prior to your fusion. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2003, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

shaukc HB User

Hello ! I had a lumbar discetomy last June and had a lumbar fusion on November 11 . I am five weeks from surgery and still only have incision pain .

Old 12-18-2003, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

I had l5/s1 discectomy in 1999, no fusion, now its collapsed. I just had 2nd surgery, c 5-6-7 fusion. My l3-5 are bulging too.
My back troubles started 20 yrs ago, so its been a non stop problem. I never had any injuries to my back so not sure why I am such a mess

I've had alot of issues with my health that have esculated since my surgery, not sure if its related. I am seeing a rheumatologist tomorrow. The doctors I have seen have not helped, and now its on to this one.

The 1st surgery, l5, did help! I could barely walk any distance and was falling down with the littlest twisting etc. But I agree, depending on your general health, you should be fine after fixing the one problem. But look at your mri and ask questions! how are the other discs? do you have ddd? arthritis? I did, and it only got worse. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't do the surgeries? but don't think I will do any more. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
(male)

davidc HB User

I have just had my third surgery.
I had my L3-L4 and L4-L5 operated on in 1989.
I had my L5-S1 operated on in 1999.
My L5-S1 collapsed in October of 2002 and I have just had a fusion done on it last month.
After each operation, I think yay, I am fixed now.
But that doesn't seem to be the case.
After this third operation, I still have nerve problems with my left foot as, because it took 13 months before I got surgery for the collapsed disc, the nerves that were squished were deformed for so long, that it could be months before they rejuvenate back to their original shape again.
Good luck.
David

Old 12-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #6

acme HB User

I've had 3 back surgeries. Two Laminectomies(Failed) & finally Fusion on L-4/L-5 (Sucessfull)

Old 12-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #7

boaz HB User

David,

do they actually "regenerate"? Our nerousurgeon said nerves do not do that, once damaged they don't come back, like brain tissue once it's gone.....it's gone...?

Old 12-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #8

mspsycho48456 HB User

[QUOTE=kkoch]I have been told by several physicians that once you have the first back surgery, 99% of the time you will need multiple surgeries. I had lumbar discetomy this past Sept and now they are talking about a fusion. I was wondering how many of you have had multiple surgeries, the time span, and the reasons? If this info is substantiated, I may seriously consider just living with this horrble pain.[/QUOTE]
I'm new on this forum so not sure if this comes out right, but in june of 2000 I had L3 through L7 taken out and a four inch donor bone put in with a plate and five screws some of it was caused by degeneration and the rest caused by working. I am still on sick accident pay to this day from it and the fact four months after this surgurey I was hit in lower back by a truck and now have two steel rods and screws in lower back. That surgurey was done in June of 2001 and I am now in worse shape than before the surgureys, only my opinion but I would wait until you can no longer handle the pain before you choose to go under knife I would not do again if I only had a choice now. thanks for letting me rattle

Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
(male)

hawks066 HB User

I've had 2 discectomies on L4-5. First one failed. Second one was I guess successful. I am still in minor pain everyday, but I can work, and that's all the really matters to me now. As long as I can work, doing pretty phyiscal stuff, I can support my family.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:59 PM   #10

el franko HB User
Exclamation Re: Who's had multiple back surgeries

[QUOTE=kkoch]I have been told by several physicians that once you have the first back surgery, 99% of the time you will need multiple surgeries. I had lumbar discetomy this past Sept and now they are talking about a fusion. I was wondering how many of you have had multiple surgeries, the time span, and the reasons? If this info is substantiated, I may seriously consider just living with this horrble pain.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with multiple surgeries....my doctor told me after my last sugery that I probably hold the U.S. record for low back surgeries.Started in 1982 with a discectomy, I have had multiple fusions at L4-5, S1, and rods and hardware with cages at L3-4. My last surgery was April 2001. I have had 13 (thirteen) low back surgeries and 1 cervical surgery. All together I have had 18 various surgeries with my low back being the leader. I can probably tell you, even though everyone is different, that you will experience more pain....most definitely for the rest of your life. Scar tissue from multiple surgeries in the same area seems to be a culprit also. May I suggest seeing a pain mgmt doctor before proceeding with another surgery? Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Old 12-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I have had 4 surgeries, all at L5Sl. The first was in l981, a laminectomy followed by another lami in 5 months. 8 months later, I had to have a fusion. After that, until l996, I did very well. A car wreck ended that and I had another fusion in '97 which failed. I now have the morphine pump but I think, if not for the wreck, I would be in good shape today. I had been gardening, dancing, and carrying on pretty much as if I had never had surgery. Many fusions succeed...you just don't read about them because those folks are out living their lives.
Good luck to you.
Carol

Closed Thread