It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
weight gain and fusion surgery

I had a fusion in oct. and they had to go back in on Friday because the cage was laying on the spinal column creating severe pain. I am beginning to feel better but I have gained 10 pounds due to inactivity and wonderful family and neighbors cooking constantly. Did anyone else have this problem and at what time did you begin to focus on the weigt loss. I am not sure if its too early to begin to put focus on exercise for weight loss yet????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #2

acme HB User
Re: weight gain and fusion surgery

I put on weight after Fusion also! Untill you are allowed to be more active........Just watch what you eat! It takes about 1 yr. to totally fuse.
The more walking you can do will help also......Helps you heal & works off some unwanted:

Calories

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Re: weight gain and fusion surgery

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Ltedeschi,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I had my fusion on June 30, 2003. About 2 months ago I had noticed that I was putting on some weight and at first I was thinking it was from being less active. That would make perfect sense as the only exercise I can get is walking but I have had a difficult recovery and haven't been able to do as much walking as I would like. I then started to research a medication that I was taking that my pain management doctor had kept increasing during my recovery. I was taking neurontin and I found that some people gain weight with this med. I also found a similar med called Topamax and some people lose weight with this med. So I asked me doctor and she changed me medication's. I have know lost what I gained and then some. But this was only my situation. I agree with what Acme had said about the walking if you are able to do so. As walking is the most important part of recovery and it is basically the only exercise you can get to burn off the calories at this point of your recovery. I wish you the very best.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread