It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #1

ncs HB User
Need help with decision

Here are the results of a discogram that I had done,

1. L5/S1 Disc space- With the sham injected pain level was 4, with the true injection the pain level increased to 8, There was concordant pain response obtained and an abnormal discogram with the escape of dye posteriorly was obtained.

2. L3/L4 same as above other than pain level increased to 10 with true injection.....

I have had 3 esi's, moths of therapy, nothing alleviates the pain, prior to having the Discogram my pain level was generally about a 4 increasing if I had an active day. remaining about the same if I had a "veg" day, since the Discogram my pain level is a constant 6+, It would appear that my options are pain management or a 3 tier fusion, I do not see how having a narcotic patch on my body is really the best they can do. My thinking is if I have the surgery done, I have a 60% chance at the pain subsiding, whereas with pain management the Pain would likely be alleviated by narcotics, but my back would obviously continue to deteriorate. I think that if I have the fusion and the apin is still there, then I will still have the Pain management as an option, but at least my back would be stronger than it currently is, Is my thinking skewed, am I wrong in my assumptions, and what would people recommend my next step be? I have been going thru this for 14 months of therapy, tests, therapy, shots, therapy, pain medication, it is getting very frustrating, and thank god for a great wife or it couldve cost me more than just being p1ssy alot of the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User
Re: Need help with decision

[QUOTE=ncs]Here are the results of a discogram that I had done,

1. L5/S1 Disc space- With the sham injected pain level was 4, with the true injection the pain level increased to 8, There was concordant pain response obtained and an abnormal discogram with the escape of dye posteriorly was obtained.

2. L3/L4 same as above other than pain level increased to 10 with true injection.....

I have had 3 esi's, moths of therapy, nothing alleviates the pain, prior to having the Discogram my pain level was generally about a 4 increasing if I had an active day. remaining about the same if I had a "veg" day, since the Discogram my pain level is a constant 6+, It would appear that my options are pain management or a 3 tier fusion, I do not see how having a narcotic patch on my body is really the best they can do. My thinking is if I have the surgery done, I have a 60% chance at the pain subsiding, whereas with pain management the Pain would likely be alleviated by narcotics, but my back would obviously continue to deteriorate. I think that if I have the fusion and the apin is still there, then I will still have the Pain management as an option, but at least my back would be stronger than it currently is, Is my thinking skewed, am I wrong in my assumptions, and what would people recommend my next step be? I have been going thru this for 14 months of therapy, tests, therapy, shots, therapy, pain medication, it is getting very frustrating, and thank god for a great wife or it couldve cost me more than just being p1ssy alot of the time.[/QUOTE]

Hey ncs, You want frustration, look at "now I'm FRUSTRATED" post on pg 3 or 4. Now as for your post, I would say, do your homework and check all sources for good out-comes of the same surgery (many sites with this info) you are looking at having. As well try all options prior to surgery. This does not include witch doctors, although I have been thinking of looking one up myself. Surgery gave me 14 years of quality life, after many changes to my lifestyle. No matter how you look at it, the choice is yours. May the giver of pain miss your house on his way by this xmas season. Good Luck Your very lucky to have someone who understands.Happy Holidays.

Closed Thread