It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #1

mxrider929 HB User
help! nonstop pain,no diagnosis in sight

hi my name is mxrider929. i have had some back problems for almost a year now. i can't seem to find the cause, or a proper diagnosis. for starters i have been through 10 mo. of pt.,been through 9 mo. of chiropractic treatment,and i have had a small amount of success. i have had 2 mri's, 3emg's,and they can't find anything wrong. the constsnt pain is very depressing and i don't know what to do anymore. my work doctor claims that it is not work related,so i went to my wife's doctor, and he said it is. the lumbar facet seems to be the start of the problems.pain in the L5 region and aroundthat area is nonstop. is there anyone out there who has these same symptoms? if so i could really use some help.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Re: help! nonstop pain,no diagnosis in sight

[QUOTE=mxrider929]hi my name is mxrider929. i have had some back problems for almost a year now. i can't seem to find the cause, or a proper diagnosis. for starters i have been through 10 mo. of pt.,been through 9 mo. of chiropractic treatment,and i have had a small amount of success. i have had 2 mri's, 3emg's,and they can't find anything wrong. the constsnt pain is very depressing and i don't know what to do anymore. my work doctor claims that it is not work related,so i went to my wife's doctor, and he said it is. the lumbar facet seems to be the start of the problems.pain in the L5 region and aroundthat area is nonstop. is there anyone out there who has these same symptoms? if so i could really use some help.[/QUOTE]
Hello, I don't know if I have the same prob. or not, but I have finally gotten a dx. after several years of lower back pain, which has been getting worse and sometime continueing around to my hips. Xrays all said O.K., emg's were O.K., I felt like I was going crazy. Finally they said it must be Fibromyalgia. Well This past week they did another ct scan and it showed extensive facet joint hypertrophy, ligament flavum hypertrophy, and arthritis in th L4-5 and in the L5-S1. I have found a little help with P/T but not nearly enough. I will go for a cortisone epidural and cont. P/T and go back to Ortho. in a few weeks. The only good thing is that they finally are taking me serious and believe that I have pain. (The nurse called with the ct scan results and told me arthritis and said you must be in a lot of pain) That what I've been saying I hope you are doing better soon. I will keep checking back to this thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #3

mxrider929 HB User

[QUOTE=lfoster21]Hello, I don't know if I have the same prob. or not, but I have finally gotten a dx. after several years of lower back pain, which has been getting worse and sometime continueing around to my hips. Xrays all said O.K., emg's were O.K., I felt like I was going crazy. Finally they said it must be Fibromyalgia. Well This past week they did another ct scan and it showed extensive facet joint hypertrophy, ligament flavum hypertrophy, and arthritis in th L4-5 and in the L5-S1. I have found a little help with P/T but not nearly enough. I will go for a cortisone epidural and cont. P/T and go back to Ortho. in a few weeks. The only good thing is that they finally are taking me serious and believe that I have pain. (The nurse called with the ct scan results and told me arthritis and said you must be in a lot of pain) That what I've been saying I hope you are doing better soon. I will keep checking back to this thread.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the info. i have also been told that i have fibromyalga,but when i went on a product called fibro-ease and it didn't work they ruled that out.so now i just continue to stretch my hamstrings and that helps.thanks again and merry christmas.

Old 12-25-2003, 03:26 AM   #4
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

mxrider & lfoster,
Please do not give up! I think the two of you have not seen the right Dr. yet. There is no known cure for Fibromyalgia. I was told by my Physical Medicine Dr. that P/T will do no good. Huh? In the mean time I got a steroid injection & am going for the second next Friday. I wish you both the best of luck. Only thing I can suggest is to keep your spirits up. Keep trying for a better Dr. (I lay in wait till Feb for mine to return) & use ice & heat often... Those of us who feel this awful pain yet have yet to be taken seriously KNOW how REAL it is!!!! Have as pain free holiday as is possible.... -abrniidgrl

Old 12-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
(female)

BARBRA54 HB User

mxrider...how is your stomach? I suffer with both stomach and back ailments (many back issues) but I have noticed when my stomach isnt feeling well - my back is also a mess. Just a thought. Also, have you checked your feet??? My friend had found all her back issues were related to poor foot support yet she had no foot pain. I have several things wrong with my back that no one wants to touch me for fear that they may be "fixing" something that isnt the thing causing pain.
Back pain is no fun - I hope you find answers soon. Keep trying!

Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #6

hrn00 HB User

I've had the same problem(s). I was in a car accident a year ago and I am still in pain and no one seems to know why or how to make it better. I've had months of physical therapy, 3 epidrual injections, acupuncture, all types of pills-pain, antiflam, etc. My physical med & rehab dr just keeps telling me that its not going to get any better and the pain will get better in 3-4 years and its really hard for me to accept this. My mri showed a bulge and dessication and i had never had any back problems before this accident. I know it is very frustrating and it's extremely difficult to deal with on a daily basis but i just keep going to drs and hoping that one day I'll find one who can help because just taking pain pills and sleeping pills is not really letting me enjoy my life at all. I can definitely relate but i really don't have any advice except keep trying everything possible. Also, MXrider-- Did something happen to you at work that you injured your back?

Old 12-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Inactive

rmurf HB User

I am in the same situation and agree that you must keep trying to find the right doctor who will listen to you. I started having left buttock and leg pain after overdoing it this summer in the gym and at the beach. I've had four diff diagnoses: lumbar strain, piriformis syndrome, herniated L5-S1 and the latest is an annular tear at L5-S1. I've done PT, I take anti-inflams and had 2 cortisone epidurals. Nothing really helps, but the anti-inflams seems to keep the pain tolerable, even tho they don't remove it. Trade off is that they are hard on the stomach and I take the "Purple Pill" to help with GERD. I've seen 2 Pain Mgment docs, 2 Ortho Spine Surgeons. Irony: the PM who did the epidural injections said he can do nothing more and referred me to the surgeon to see about surgical options. Both surgeons said no surgery for tears, wait and see what happens. So, who knows. There are no easy answers because often surgery causes its own new set of problems I understand that is why they are so reluctant to operate, so I think I need to find a good pain management doc.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #8
(female)

BARBRA54 HB User

[COLOR=RoyalBlue] I have 2 herniated discs in the cervical area, 1 in the lumbar and 1 in the thoraic area of my back..... osteophytes and spinal stenosis. I've done the shots, PT, PM and the meds. Same as you - now on Nexium in the am and pepcid in the PM as I developed gastric ulcers. Not from the bacteria so most likely from the meds. As I type, my back is killing me. Added to this mix is a host of uro/gyno probs from last surgery - which I am scheduled to have repaired once again in 3 wks and heel spurs... lol - a total mess!

I guess the only to get thru the days are just knowing we could all be a lot worse off. I just have to figure out how I can juggle a job with this lifestyle of mine. How do you do it?

Old 12-28-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

[QUOTE=hrn00]I've had the same problem(s). I was in a car accident a year ago and I am still in pain and no one seems to know why or how to make it better. I've had months of physical therapy, 3 epidrual injections, acupuncture, all types of pills-pain, antiflam, etc. My physical med & rehab dr just keeps telling me that its not going to get any better and the pain will get better in 3-4 years and its really hard for me to accept this. My mri showed a bulge and dessication and i had never had any back problems before this accident. I know it is very frustrating and it's extremely difficult to deal with on a daily basis but i just keep going to drs and hoping that one day I'll find one who can help because just taking pain pills and sleeping pills is not really letting me enjoy my life at all. I can definitely relate but i really don't have any advice except keep trying everything possible. Also, MXrider-- Did something happen to you at work that you injured your back?[/QUOTE]
Hrn00--I have a question for you. You mentioned that you had had epidural injections...I am having that next week and I am very nervous. Do the injections hurt much? And will they give me something for my nerves before they start Thanks,
Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 12-28-2003 at 01:32 PM.

Old 12-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
(female)

BARBRA54 HB User

Lorie...I had the injections - the ones in the neck were not with sedation and you know, it wasn't bad. Don't worry - I brought a friend with me to talk to me while it was being done. I had a set of 3. After the 1st time, it was a pc of cake. I worried that it would be so much more. I had injections using a camera several months later - they gave me light sedation for that.
Try not to worry tooo much..... easier said than done. It's really not bad at all.

Old 12-28-2003, 05:27 PM   #11

hern HB User

[QUOTE=lfoster21]Hrn00--I have a question for you. You mentioned that you had had epidural injections...I am having that next week and I am very nervous. Do the injections hurt much? And will they give me something for my nerves before they start Thanks,
Lorie[/QUOTE]

Hi Lorie--Its me, hrn00 but i couldnt log in so i had to reregsiter. Honestly, in my experiences-- how it was depended on the dr who was doing it. They didn't give me any kind of sedative or anything but the process only takes a few minutes so its over with very quickly. 1 dr who did it, it was a little painful, a different dr who did it--i didnt feel anything, so i think it has a lot to do with the dr but it is a very quick process and it is easy. They even say to have someone come with you to drive you but it was so simple that after the 1st one, i went by myself and drove myself home. Good luck but just remember-- the procedure itself doesn't take long. By the way, im in Va too.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:04 PM   #12

sdunc HB User

I had constant back pain at one time, too. $2000 to a chiropractor and didn't feel much better. I spent like 15 bucks on a book by Dr. John E Sarno, "The mind-body prescription" (amazon.com) and within the time it took me to read the book, I felt better! I have not had back problems since. When I went to the chiropractor, I had all kinds of obvious physical reasons for my pain, yet nothing helped permanently. I read the book about 7 years ago and have not had a problem since. What do you have to lose, except 15 bucks? I'd like to give you some more info about the book, but I think it would ruin it for you. Incidentally, I have given this book to 3 other people and every one of them has felt relief. All I will say is that physical pain is not always generated from a physical problem.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

[QUOTE=BARBRA54]Lorie...I had the injections - the ones in the neck were not with sedation and you know, it wasn't bad. Don't worry - I brought a friend with me to talk to me while it was being done. I had a set of 3. After the 1st time, it was a pc of cake. I worried that it would be so much more. I had injections using a camera several months later - they gave me light sedation for that.
Try not to worry tooo much..... easier said than done. It's really not bad at all.[/QUOTE]
Barbra54,
Thank you for the response. I am a lot less nervous hearing that from someone who has been through it. Have a great day, Lorie

Old 01-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #14

mxrider929 HB User

[QUOTE=lfoster21]Hello, I don't know if I have the same prob. or not, but I have finally gotten a dx. after several years of lower back pain, which has been getting worse and sometime continueing around to my hips. Xrays all said O.K., emg's were O.K., I felt like I was going crazy. Finally they said it must be Fibromyalgia. Well This past week they did another ct scan and it showed extensive facet joint hypertrophy, ligament flavum hypertrophy, and arthritis in th L4-5 and in the L5-S1. I have found a little help with P/T but not nearly enough. I will go for a cortisone epidural and cont. P/T and go back to Ortho. in a few weeks. The only good thing is that they finally are taking me serious and believe that I have pain. (The nurse called with the ct scan results and told me arthritis and said you must be in a lot of pain) That what I've been saying I hope you are doing better soon. I will keep checking back to this thread.[/QUOTE]
mxrider here, did you find anything out? i have recently found out i have bone spurs in the hip joints and that is causing me to bend through my back and not my hips.p/t isn;t helping anymore the pain in the back just stays there. now i have increased hip pain also. did you get the shots did they help?

Old 01-13-2004, 06:05 PM   #15
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
Talking Re: help! nonstop pain,no diagnosis in sight

Hey rider, are you seeing an orthopedic doctor? If so there are two tests that can really narrow down what is causing your back pain, one is the Mylogram where they do injections in your back while they look at a T.V. monitor. The purpose of this test is to pin point EXACTLY where the pain is comming from by recreating the exact pain you have been feeling, Oh yea, its as fun as it sounds, but very accurate. The other is a Discogram. This test is kinda like the mylogram except with this test a dye is injected into your spine to locate the are that is causing the pain. Those are the tests that I had before my surgerys, you can read more about both by using a good search engine and you can get all the details on them. I just hope they can find out what it is soon so you can get after it and get better!! Good Luck and Stay Strong! Rlcowboy

Closed Thread