It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #1

WarrenM HB User
MED yesterday, back home today

I just wanted to report that I had a minimally invasive MED yesterday for a bulge at L4-5. The procedure took less than 3 hrs. My neurosurgeon was able to remove the "free" fragment that was causing my pain. I asked if a free fragment might be likely to move away from the nerve thus decompressing it. He said yes however it would not be a sustainable releif because it was so large that it didn't have much room to move.

I do have pain which is to be expected for a while but it is a different pain. My sciatica seems to be completely gone. Any advice on rehab would be appreciated.

Best to all and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

Amy R. HB User
Re: MED yesterday, back home today

Hi, what is MED?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 11:08 PM   #3

ricebird HB User

To Warren:

You say you have a different pain. What kind of pain do you have and where is it? Also, what is MED? Do you have any kind of weakness in your legs or feet?

Thanks for a reply,

Carole

Old 12-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #4

WarrenM HB User

[QUOTE=ricebird]To Warren:

You say you have a different pain. What kind of pain do you have and where is it? Also, what is MED? Do you have any kind of weakness in your legs or feet?

Thanks for a reply,

Carole[/QUOTE]

Hello Carole and Amy,

Sorry, my mistake. The procedure I had done was a Microscopic Discectomy. I was still a bit loopy from the pain meds when I posted.

Before my operation I had pain in my left leg and foot as well as diminished sensation in my foot. I'm happy to say those symptoms seem to be completely gone. The pain I have now is from the operation itself which I expected and anticipate being free of in another week or two.

It has been six days now since my surgery. I rested in bed for 24 hrs before being allowed to get up. The first time was really tough but has gotten easier each time by just getting used to the body mechanics that minimize stress to my lower back.

I left the house for the first time yesterday going to the mall. Someone else drove and I used the cane they gave me at the hospital. I'm getting more mobile each day and am no longer taking any pain medication.

My operation was only one level so it was not as complex as many I have read about but I do want to offer encouragement to anyone who had problems similar to mine. I am very happy with my doctor and my progress so far. I have to try to see my doctor again this week for a follow up but I think I will be returning to all of my normal activities (golf, basketball, playing with my kids) within 6 weeks.

Here is a link to the procedure my doctor used:

Last edited by hbguide1; 12-29-2003 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Use of Copyrighted material & Websites other than .gov and some .edu are not permitted without prior approval.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Warren.[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. I am so sorry that I had missed your post about your surgery. I will go to the December thread and update it, and again please forgive me.

I am so happy to hear that your sciatica pain is gone. What a relief that must be for you... Wow, and you have already gone out and to the mall of all places. Sounds like a success story to me. I am very happy for you. I hope that your recovery continues to go so well. Please keep us updated on your follow up appointment.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] [SIZE=4]Have a Happy New Year [/SIZE] [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-29-2003, 09:35 AM   #6

gdbreedlove HB User

Warren, glad to hear that your leg pain is gone! Did you have any associated weakness in your leg? I am 18 days post-op from Laminectomy and MED on the L4/L5 and MED on the L5/S1. My leg pain went away immediately as well, but I am still dealing with some weakness. I'm told this should get better with time. The only advice I can give you is to take it easy, lot's of log rolling in and out of bed, and don't pick anything up. The pain associated with the surgery diminished considerably after 10 days, and I have very little pain in that area now. The Dr has me doing alot of walking, 1 mile on Sat and did 2 mile on Sun. Also, have a rubber band to build strength in my left ankle. Hope this helps, good luck with the recovery and take care!

Old 12-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #7

WarrenM HB User

[QUOTE=gdbreedlove]Warren, glad to hear that your leg pain is gone! Did you have any associated weakness in your leg? I am 18 days post-op from Laminectomy and MED on the L4/L5 and MED on the L5/S1. My leg pain went away immediately as well, but I am still dealing with some weakness. I'm told this should get better with time. The only advice I can give you is to take it easy, lot's of log rolling in and out of bed, and don't pick anything up. The pain associated with the surgery diminished considerably after 10 days, and I have very little pain in that area now. The Dr has me doing alot of walking, 1 mile on Sat and did 2 mile on Sun. Also, have a rubber band to build strength in my left ankle. Hope this helps, good luck with the recovery and take care![/QUOTE]

Thank you Tomorrow and GD for your thoughts and good wishes!

GD: I'm glad to hear you're out of pain and on the road to recovery! I did have weakness in my left leg, ankle and big toe. It was not that severe but it did make sense once I realized what was going on. My neurosurgeon also noticed there was a diminished sense of feeling on the top outer part of my left foot in the same area that felt as if it were on fire when my sciatica was really bad.

The log rolling was a little tricky at first, actually more a leap of faith to just let gravity and physics work in my favor (shameful for an engineer:-) ). Once that was mastered, the rest was not so bad.

I noticed it is against the rules to post most url's so if anyone would like a link to get information on the specific treatment my doc uses for herniated discs please let me know and I will email it to you.

Closed Thread