It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM   #1

mcQuigg2002 HB User
Can you help me..please?

Hi I have a question for anyone who might be able to help me. I have really bad lower back pain and saw the doc who did xrays on my lower back and said I have a lumbar that is straight and is supposed to be curved. What does that mean? I have had serious nerve problems for 5 years and hes saying its all because of this. I have had 3 babies in 5 years and I contribute it to that but my neck hurts and I am just curious if its all related to my lumbar.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:27 AM   #2

KrisL HB User
Re: Can you help me..please?

Hi!

Your neckpain could be related to your straight lumbar I think.
I have straight lumbar as well (I believe the term is nonexistent lordosis) and since I developed that I have to put my head forward to keep balance in my stance. My PT calls it exessive neck lordosis).
My PT also says that I will sooner or later get neckpain due to the unnatural stance. The muscles around the neck gets tense, they have to work too much and that can also give you balance problems further on.
So if you walk around with your head put forward, there could be a connection.
Ask a good PT to check you out if possible, they have a great understanding of the human body in motion.
Have you ever done x-rays or other exams on your neck?

/Kris L.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #3

mcQuigg2002 HB User

Thanks for writing back so soon. What is a PT? Do you hurt on both sides or the middle? I hurt on my right side....my lowerback all the way down to my ankle and up to my neck. I get various symptoms...that come and go....doc says I need to exercise....to help the muscles to relax.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi, welcome aboard!!! I take it you haven't had a car accident etc.?? I was just wondering where you've come tot he conclusion that it's from childbearing?? My family dr tried that on me right after my car accident, but he didn't know how to explain it when it came to my oldest son having the same problem and was in the same accident LOL!!
What's your dr planning to do about your situation? Take care!

Old 12-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have been Dx. with OA of the lumbar area and I also have neck pain. Sometimes I hear cliking in my neck when I turn it and sometimes it feels like I don't have much strength in it. (almost like it will break if I turn it the wrong way.) The pain will go up the back of my head and into my shoulders at it's worse. I wasn't sure if the 2 went together or not, but I read another post that mentioned a connection. (I don't remember where I read it, sorry) I will be asking my Dr. about a connection. Perhaps you should too. If you learn anything, please post it.

Good luck,Lorie

Old 12-30-2003, 12:54 AM   #6

KrisL HB User

Hi again!

Sorry for not explaining PT (it's beeing mentioned all the time here so sometimes you don't think of explaining). It means Physical Therapist.
I hurt across my lumbar, sometimes a little more on the left side. My neckpain is due to my backpain - I can feel that myself, but it is not easy to relax.
I have also found that exercise (=PT training program) helps me to relax better, I think exercise is good in most cases.
What did the doctor tell you, did he advice you to see a PT? In my opinion doctors don't know much about what exercises to do

/Kris L.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:33 AM   #7

mcQuigg2002 HB User

Hi thanks for the last two posts........I saw my doctor about a month ago and said I have had this lower tail bone thing for 5 years and this is the second time I have come to you......Will you please help me.........He said I bet you have spina biffida occulta. Well it turned out the he was wrong and I had a lumbar that was straight and not curved.The doc said if I had spina biffida he would send me to a PT but now that I dont he has done NOTHING!

All my problems started when I was pregnant for my 1 baby 5 years ago. I started nursing in bed...like all night just to get sleep. I hurt so bad but I didnt know any better..I was a new mom. When my baby was 10 months old I hurt in my tail bone area really bad so I went to the doc and I was told to take tylenol for my pain. That was it! So I went to the chiropracter and I started feeling strange sensations up my head, my fingers, toes, my hair would hurt, neck hurt, tailbone hurt. I thought I had a pintched nerve so I went back about 10 times. BAD MISTAKE!!!! He made it worse..Oh and I had bad head aches too. Well after that we were getting ready to move to FL so I saw a nuerologist there....he checked for MS andthat was fine. But they did see a tumor on my pituitarty gland. I came back to OHIO to see a nuerosurgeon and he said it was an anomoly and nothing to worry about. He said all my strange sensations will go away in time. they did just that.....but then I got pregnant again and they started acting up because I started nursing in bed again and wouldnt make time for exercise..so I suffered...Then I started feeling pain under my ribs..I think its related to my tailbone but not sure. Have you ever heard of that? I wasnt quite recovered and got pregnant again.............................so here I am in PURE PAIN..I have cried today because I have a cold and its settled right in my weak spots. My head ache hurt so bad in my neck. Should I ask to send me to a PT? Would they think I am crazy? I have a friends hubby that does that maybe I should ask him if I should be seen.....Stupid me I still nurse my 4 month baby in BED.......She wakes up at 8 and the boys dont get up till 9 so I nurse her and sleep till they get up. I am in sain...... What else would have caused my problems????? Thanks for your help...

Old 12-31-2003, 03:12 AM   #8

KrisL HB User

So your doc only wants you to go to PT if you have Spina bifida? In my humble opinion he sounds ignorant. A good PT can help with whatever condition you have. They have good knowledge of what exercises to do and they usually don't manipulate your body as much as chiropractors do.

I don't know what it's like where you live but here you don't need a doctor to send you to the PT, you can go yourself. Ofcourse the PT wants you to be checked out by a doc first to rule out anything serious - but you've done that right? PT:s here are very well educated and seen with respect within the medical community.
No one will think you're crazy! Don't think like that, I can assure you that PT:s mostly have a great understanding of both human body and mind.

/Kris L.

Last edited by KrisL; 12-31-2003 at 03:12 AM.

Old 12-31-2003, 06:04 AM   #9
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Morning McQuigg! I have to tell you...you need a new dr!!! Have you ever had a CT scan or MRI?? If not, you need one!!
My back problems stem from an accident, but some drs tried to tell me it was because of child birth!!!
It's a known fact that giving birth to babies can cause bulging/herniated discs in your spine, which also can pinch a nerve!
Did you have difficult births? If you haven't had any accidents...work or car accident, I'd consider it happening when you had your first child, and your second just aggravated it!!
It's only my opinion, but I'd insist on an MRI and find another dr that's willing to help you get to the bottom of your pain and to get rid of it if possible!!
What really strikes me as weird, is when your dr says pt for spinabifida....my son has minor spinabifida, and my dr said that won't cause him any problems in the future!
I also wouldn't go to any physio or chiro until the MRI or CT's been done!! That way you all know exactly what you're dealing with!!
I hope this helps, even a little!! Take care!

Old 12-31-2003, 06:26 AM   #10

mcQuigg2002 HB User

[My question is isnt an xray good enough? They said my lumbar was abnormally shaped.....couldnt that be my reason for the pain
i am in? Just wondering.....

Old 12-31-2003, 06:35 AM   #11
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hello again!! The way it goes is each test gets better and better with technology. They started with x-rays, then CT scans and then MRIs!! The x-ray misses a lot of things because it's not as good/intense (lack of better word LOL) as the other two! The best one to have is the MRI 'cause it can pick up the slightest problem, though I'm sure nothing's perfect!!
My x-rays that I had after my accident only showed the straightening of my spine and what they [B]thought[/B] were bone spurs! It's usually only good at picking things up on your bones if they're broken!! If you have bulging discs which can pinch nerves etc. it won't get picked up with a mere x-ray!
Once I had the CTs and MRIs, the drs started seeing my bulging/herniated discs, degenerative disc disease and sciatica!!! All of which are pain generators!!!
Your drs won't take you serious-enough until they can see what's really going on with your spine!
Just my opinion of course!! Hope it helps!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

I can't encourage you enough to follow the advice from out2lunch. X rays are just the basics. Iv'e had xrays for 2 years now and they kept comming back normal. Over and over I was told I did not have arthritis and the pain must be fibromyalgia. It was only a couple of months ago, I fell at work and they took me to the ER and was told to see an orth. before returning to work. The Ortho. sent me for a Ct Scan. I have arthritis in 2 areas of my spine, excessive deteriation of my facit joints and a bulging disc. Had I had a Ct Scan earlier I could have gotten some relief from the pain that I have been suffering with (and I would have known it was more than just in my mind). Please do what ever you need to to find a Dr. who will listen to you and ask for a ct scan or mri. (My Gen. Prac. would not send me for a scan, because he didn't believe there was anything wrong. But at my request, he sent me to an Ortho. who insisted on a scan.)

Good luck and God Bless you,
Lorie

Closed Thread