It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 04:32 AM   #1
(female)

jacritch HB User
at a loss

Hi,

I am 42 years old and just diagnosed with DDD with a herniated disc and bulging disc at l4 and l5 and sciatica. I hurt my back a few years ago by picking up a rug and ended up in a brace and physical therapy for months. I was pain free for about 4 years and then I was in a car accident and had neck problems. I went through months of physical therapy. I was finally diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome. I have swelling in the neck. It seems to get worse when my back goes out.

I have been experiencing off and on back pain for 4 years now the latest has been for about 3 months straight. I have been to a chiropractor that practiced in holistic healing for a couple of years and it worked for a while, but now I am back to pain every day. I was referred to a neuro surgeon and he is going to try a nerve block. If that doesn't work, he suggested I have a spinal fusion.

I am at a loss. In order to function, I have to take pain meds and muscle relaxers. I am still working. Has anyone had good luck with spinal fusions? How long does it take to recover? I am seriously considering it if the nerve block doesn't work. I have a one year old grandson that lives with me and it sucks that I can't pick him up.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening

Judy

Old 12-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Re: at a loss

A good doctor and yes a spinal fusion can take away the pain. You will hear all sorts of horror stories but I can say mine was a success.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi Judy!
Sorry for you pain. Although, you will find lots of support on this board.
At what level are they considering fusion? Thoracic, Cervical, Lumbar?
There are several good fusion outcomes. I had a fusion from T1 to L1 due to scoliosis when I was 17, I'm 28 now. There is life after fusion so don't worry too much. It is possible that a fusion will help you temendously.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

Christina

Old 12-30-2003, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

jacritch HB User

Thanks for your replies! I am relieved to hear some good outcomes. The spinal fusion will be l4+l5.

Judy

Closed Thread