It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

matanddavesmom HB User
Unable to walk, numbness & incontience for over a year since back surgery

I am new to this board, but I am looking everywhere for some answers. My husband had back surgery 9-20-02 (3 levels with cages). Since the surgery he has been unable to walk, no balance and a lot of numbess in his feet and ankles and middle section. Major incontience and other male problems since the surgery. The surgeon's response has been everything will eventually get better. We have been to a neuroligist recently, but he gave us no help. He didn't even want to do an MRI or anything. I'm not sure why. My husband is in no pain (which is great but I'm not sure about the pain, because he can't feel anything not even a pin stuck in his feet). If anyone could offer any advise, I would be so grateful. Thank you!

Old 12-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #2

hotptato HB User
Re: Unable to walk, numbness & incontience for over a year since back surgery

go get an attorney, seeing you cant get any where or answers maybe a law siute will.[QUOTE=matanddavesmom]I am new to this board, but I am looking everywhere for some answers. My husband had back surgery 9-20-02 (3 levels with cages). Since the surgery he has been unable to walk, no balance and a lot of numbess in his feet and ankles and middle section. Major incontience and other male problems since the surgery. The surgeon's response has been everything will eventually get better. We have been to a neuroligist recently, but he gave us no help. He didn't even want to do an MRI or anything. I'm not sure why. My husband is in no pain (which is great but I'm not sure about the pain, because he can't feel anything not even a pin stuck in his feet). If anyone could offer any advise, I would be so grateful. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #3

hixson388 HB User

[QUOTE=matanddavesmom]I am new to this board, but I am looking everywhere for some answers. My husband had back surgery 9-20-02 (3 levels with cages). Since the surgery he has been unable to walk, no balance and a lot of numbess in his feet and ankles and middle section. Major incontience and other male problems since the surgery. The surgeon's response has been everything will eventually get better. We have been to a neuroligist recently, but he gave us no help. He didn't even want to do an MRI or anything. I'm not sure why. My husband is in no pain (which is great but I'm not sure about the pain, because he can't feel anything not even a pin stuck in his feet). If anyone could offer any advise, I would be so grateful. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Hello mom,
Sorry about your husband and the lack of good doctors,help,and answers. I had my surgery in Nov. 02.I had a 4 level fusion with dual bone graft to hips myself.While alot of us are looking for answers and most important RELIFE from pain I find we are not alone.But for the good news(dosent stop pain but dose feel good inside) I have found that the people here can offer ways to try and help ease things weather it be a suggestion to ease pain or just make the heart feel better.While I am looking for answers people have gave me incourgeing help to go on and find my way.Since everybody is different just keep trying who knows somebody just might have your answer( hopefully).I truly understand his problem for I have been told repeatedly that I am going to be disabled and to take it gracefuly there is no more treatment,but I dont give up easy.So until I find my way I will keep looking and thank God for the wonderful people in these pages.But just so you know you and your famliy are in our thoughts and prayers and should we find anything new we will definatly pass it to you.
Good Luck with your search hope something will help at least a little
Tambra

Old 12-30-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I'm with hotptato, I'd call a lawyer.
1. Your husband had back surgery. Was THIS the expected normal result?
2. For one year you aren't getting specifics? Why not?
3. I have a feeling something went wrong and nobody wants responsibility for it.
4. You husband has a RIGHT to know what happened during surgery that caused this result.
5. What's really wrong in that back is an important key to finding help.
6. Some one has a record and has answers and is responsible.
7. I think a lawyer could get answers and charge THEM for his efforts.

Old 12-31-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I'm right along with everyone else...GET A LAWYER!!! I'd also keep pushing til I found those answers!! Have you been to any other drs? There's obviously something seriously wrong here, and like said above...noone wants to take responsibility!! The more crappy treatment I hear of people getting with our medical field, the more outraged I get!! I'm so sorry for you and your hubby to have to endure this, but I also have to commend you for coming here and for sticking by him!!! Many spouses have run when faced with so much and less!!
You know, I have herniated discs from a car accident, and my drs have told me that if I start to have problems with incontinence to get myself into their office or emerg immediately 'cause it could mean something's seriously wrong and I may require emergency surgery!!!
We're not trying to scare you, but this isn't right!!! For that dr to just dismiss your concerns too, is an outrage!!
There is the possibility that the incontinence is caused by a med your hubby's taking, but not being able to feel a needle in his feet?? That dr needs a rude awakening, and a good lawyer will be more then happy to give it to him!!!
Please stay intouch with us and let us know how things are going!!! Even if we can't remedy this for you, we're a great support system for both you and your hubby!!
Always know that I'm sending warm ((HUGS)), positive thoughts and plenty of prayers your way!! Take care!!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:53 AM   #6

StillWater HB User

mattanddavesmom,

This must be terribly frustrating and depressing to your husband and to all of you. I don't have any answers, but a couple of thoughts....

I haven't had surgery yet, but it will be scheduled soon. The things you mentioned are all things my doctors have told me are possible following surgery. And I'm sure that the papers signed by each patient at the hospital prior to the surgery have all these listed, too. But even though there have been warnings that they could happen, if they do happen, the doctors should be interested in helping you find treatments and answers to correct and/or live with the problems that can't be corrected. And they should be giving answers about what happened and why.

I am so sorry you are all going through this. I hope you are able to find a doctor who can help, and that things start to get better for your husband and all of you. Please keep trying to find a doctor who understands, cares, and is willing to help. And please write again and let us know.

gentle hugs,
StillWater

Last edited by StillWater; 12-31-2003 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

My very first thought while reading your post was : Get another doctor, get at least 2 more opinions. My next thought was: find a good malpractice attorney. Your husband is getting less than qualified care, it seems to me. As someone who has had 4 lumbar surgeries, I can unhesitantly say that something "is rotten in Denmark" as the old saying goes. I wish you good luck and success.
Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-31-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
(male)

Rob61 HB User

Before you get a lawyer try and get ALL medical records and MRI's CT'S and operative reports> Only because they will dissapear if there is fault on the surgen and keep in mind how long you have to go after the Dr in NY its only 2 1/2 years

Hope he feels better

Rob

Old 12-31-2003, 02:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

[QUOTE=Rob61]Before you get a lawyer try and get ALL medical records and MRI's CT'S and operative reports> Only because they will dissapear if there is fault on the surgen and keep in mind how long you have to go after the Dr in NY its only 2 1/2 years

Hope he feels better

Rob[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm not suggesting that malpractice occurred (we don't know that) but, since you have not been given records then I do believe a lawyer will have more effect at getting the records than you will. That's why I suggested a lawyer.

Rob61 is right.

A relative of mine had surgery and always had problems afterwards. Then 10 years later a diff Dr questioned a medical problem found during tests. The new questions resulted in more surgery. The New Dr came out of surgery MAD as a hornet. The old Dr that had preformed the surgery 10 years early had left an object in that should have been taken out. This even resulted in a 3rd surgery and then blood clots. Anyway the relative survied but could not sue the first Dr because he did not even remember the first Dr's name! His family Dr said "oh we only have one years records" (this relative had gone there for 15 years!!!!). the hopsital only keeps records 5 years. Medicare also said they no longer had the records!!!!

YOU have to get the records..all of them and keep them YOURSELF in order to help a Dr know how to further treat your husband.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #10
(male)

Rob61 HB User

Just to respond my feeling is this if a lawyer asks for records the Dr may think he's going to be sued. Besides no Dr would think twice about giving a patient a copy of tests records or films. I know in my case i made deals with the readioglest for copies just to have.

Rob

Closed Thread