It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
toe cramps, tightening up anyone else?

Do you think all these toe cramps are nerve related to my back issues? They wake me up at night and it sure is a pain when you're driving and your leg or foot locks up with cramp.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran

daubie HB User
Re: toe cramps, tightening up anyone else?

[QUOTE=cardinal]Do you think all these toe cramps are nerve related to my back issues? They wake me up at night and it sure is a pain when you're driving and your leg or foot locks up with cramp. [/QUOTE]
Hi Cardinal. How are ya? Well, since my disc herniated a year ago, I get severe charlie horses in my left calf. I know it's nerve related because I never used to get them, now I get them regularly, and it's always my bad leg. I think it has to do with stretching the nerve too much. That's just my opinion, cause the doc kinda blows me off like it has nothing to do with my disc. But you couldn't convince me of that, cause I've probably had 100 of these in the past 2 years, and ALWAYS in my left leg (and I don't do anything with my left leg that would cause this). Anyway, if I sleep with a pillow between my legs so my foot doesn't flop downward (stretching the nerve), I get them much less frequently. Hope this helps. Take care. ~Daubie
Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Yes, the pillow... I use that too. Are the tops of your feet numb? Its very uncomfortable with sneakers pressing on the tops of my feet. My charlie horse deal started, of all times, during the birth of my son! I have pictures of the nurses trying to work it out,because I was more intent with the charlie horse than the delivery!! that was 27 yrs ago! but yes, its gotten more frequent since all these surgeries. Best wishes for happier days ahead in 2004!!!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Cardinal, I have the same problems, yet not as often when I sleep with the pillow LOL!! My drs blow me off too, but atleast they'll admit it's all part of the sciatica! I guess it's just another thing we have to put up with when forced to live with CP! Take care!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:39 AM   #5
Inactive

Pippin HB User

I get severe cramps in the arch of my left foot. I would call them charley horses, though that term is usually applied to cramps in the thigh. Never had them before the back problems. I tend to get them while I'm asleep (though they sure wake me up fast!), which makes me think that I'm stretching in my sleep, using muscles that have been coddled for the past 10 months because of the leg/foot pain.

One of the meds prescribed by my pain doctor, Topamax, helped a good deal with both the chronic pain in the foot and in reducing the number/severity of cramps. BUT, the Topamax also caused major depression, so I have had to stop it. Now the cramps are back. However, I'll take cramps, even at a 10 on the scale, to depression. The cramps come and go; the depression stays with you 24/7.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Thanks again Daubi, and Pippin and Out2Lunch!! Pippin: I hear you on the depression...I just started elavil. I've been on zoloft, not much help. I am praying the elavil works. Depression is such an ugly monster. Its such a vicious cycle, pain, depression, inactivity due to pain then more depression from not doing urgh!

Old 12-31-2003, 09:43 AM   #7

Deidre513 HB User

[QUOTE=cardinal]Do you think all these toe cramps are nerve related to my back issues? They wake me up at night and it sure is a pain when you're driving and your leg or foot locks up with cramp. [/QUOTE]

I am sorry for your pain-and it probably is nerve related-but you could try to add some x-tra potassium in your diet by eating a banana, spinach, prunes-or even supplements-sometimes my clients get these cramps, and I have had them add the potassium, and it does help-although they do not have your problems-but it's worth a try right? again i am so sorry. Deidre

Old 12-31-2003, 09:47 AM   #8

moondancer659 HB User

this morning when i woke up i had the most excruiting cramp/pain in my legs. I have c2-c7 herninated and a massive bulg in c2 into the spinal colunm. I called the doc waiting to hear that was at 9;30 and it is now almost 1. I have had a heaveness in my legs for the past few days and now these dont even know how to describe it .pain feeling of cramping in my calfs and in the balls of my feet especilly the left one.i dont know if i should go to the hospital or what please help
jeannine

Old 12-31-2003, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

[QUOTE=moondancer659]this morning when i woke up i had the most excruiting cramp/pain in my legs. I have c2-c7 herninated and a massive bulg in c2 into the spinal colunm. I called the doc waiting to hear that was at 9;30 and it is now almost 1. I have had a heaveness in my legs for the past few days and now these dont even know how to describe it .pain feeling of cramping in my calfs and in the balls of my feet especilly the left one.i dont know if i should go to the hospital or what please help
jeannine[/QUOTE]
Hi moondancer: If you haven't heard back from the doctor I would ck into the hospital. How long ago was your surgery? Is it a new pain? never had it ? Did you do anything that may have caused it, like standing too long or activities? I wish you best of luck!!

Old 12-31-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

OMG aren't they horrible????? Ever been sitting in the ole lazy boy and have them bend straight back and they won't move?????????? and yes love the middle of the night thing, getting up and trying to stumble thru the house to walk it off because no way rubbing them helps. I didn't start having them until I got injections in my back and the doctor says unfortunately sometimes it happens. Duh would have been nice to know it ahead of time.

Old 01-01-2004, 06:24 AM   #11

moondancer659 HB User

I havent had surgery yet my date is jan 28th for the first one a c2,c3 disketomy and fusion the secone one will come about 6 to 8 weeks after a lamiendectomy mass lateral fusion from c3 to c7 this was brand new yesterday morning couldnt get ahold of the NS but got ahold of my own doc who said he felt there was more compression on my chord at c2 level it is about 1/2 way in the chord doc still cant belive i am walking and working which i will have to stop I'm a hairdresser.sorry got off track so my doc prescribe predozone 5 a day till stytoms disappated whichic i took 5 yesterday after having someone drive me to the pharimacy cause i could even drive i woke up this morning and feel soooooo much better . sorry this ran on ..lol predozone makes me a bit hyper. Happy new year to all and hope it is a pain free year
Jeannine

Old 01-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

I had a lot of problems with cramping, charlie horses & things like that in the beginning & my Dr. prescribed Flexeril, (a skeletal muscle relaxer) & Valium which helps with the charlie horses and restless sleeping. They have both helped me a great deal. Im also on Topamax for Migraine prevention I have not noticed it causing any depression at all but it has helped a great deal in my hip & rear end pain & it has also caused me to lose weight. I never knew they used it as well as Neurontin as a nerve pain drug till I came to this board.
Abrniidgrl

Closed Thread