It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User
Unhappy tolerant to the pain meds

I just came home from my second back surgery in 7 months, I had a spinal fusion (L5 to S1) 7 months ago, and this time I was cut open from the front in order to get to my spine in order to remove a very degenerated disc and my doctor put in a artificial one. Now I have to have surgery number 3 in three weeks so they can go back in from my back in order to extend my scews and rods so to hold the new disc in place. Since I have been taking pain meds since first surgery I have built up a tolerance so when I had this surgery it was so painful I cant even describe, I have about 40 metal staples in my stomach right now, so besides the awful back pain, I have lots of pain from being cut from the front side! I geuss because I have been taking pain meds every day I did not respond too well when I was in recovery, so I can tell yall Im not looking forward to this next surgery on the 22nd.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
Re: tolerant to the pain meds

Your doctor should understand and prescribe a stronger or different pain med. they can't take away all of the pain but they should make you somewhat comfortable
I hate to hear of such pain and I wish you well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 04:58 PM   #3

hixson388 HB User

[QUOTE=rlcowboy]I just came home from my second back surgery in 7 months, I had a spinal fusion (L5 to S1) 7 months ago, and this time I was cut open from the front in order to get to my spine in order to remove a very degenerated disc and my doctor put in a artificial one. Now I have to have surgery number 3 in three weeks so they can go back in from my back in order to extend my scews and rods so to hold the new disc in place. Since I have been taking pain meds since first surgery I have built up a tolerance so when I had this surgery it was so painful I cant even describe, I have about 40 metal staples in my stomach right now, so besides the awful back pain, I have lots of pain from being cut from the front side! I geuss because I have been taking pain meds every day I did not respond too well when I was in recovery, so I can tell yall Im not looking forward to this next surgery on the 22nd.[/QUOTE]

Hello Cowboy,
I have to say I agree with Lisa.Givin all you have already been through in such short time and your doctor dose'nt change something. My goodness with that much pain he could have at least done it all at once so you could (hopefully ) recover and get it over with.But no get you down, keep you down. huh? Well I sure do hope it all gose well for buddy and you let that doc know he might be cutting up your spine but your heart and hope are STRICKLY OFF LIMITS!!!
Good Luck,
Tambra

Old 12-31-2003, 07:02 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I'm with Tambra and Itedeschi!! Demand a much stronger med!!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how much pain you've had to endure with so many surgeries so close together!! Why didn't he do it all with one surgery anyway?
I wish you luck, take care!!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Rlcowboy,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]I am sorry that you are in so much pain. Have you called your surgeon's office and told him that your pain medication's are not helping your pain? As everyone has already stated he should already be aware of the fact that you have been on these meds for some time and you will need stronger ones for your recovery. It is his job to try and keep your pain under control while your are in recovery. Gosh, 40 staples I really feel for you. We do build up a tolerance to pain medications while taking them over a long period of time and your surgeon should be aware of this. Please call his office as you should not suffer. It also would be a good idea in the future to set up an appointment with a pain management office if you have not already done so. I always tell member's this because from my own experience they have helped me keep my pain under control much more so than my surgeon. But right now it is your surgeon who must try and make you more comfortable during your recovery. After all I think he has put you through enough. But this is your recovery time and I am sure you don't want to hear criticism about your surgeon. But I'm not happy with mine either. I do wish you the very best and I will keep you in my prayer's.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-31-2003, 09:37 AM   #6
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Jeanne is so right about getting an appt with a pm dr!! I haven't had any surgery, but my family dr had me taking so many tylenols and anti -inflams (he don't like to prescribe opiods) that I ended up with ulcers and who knows what else!! Even my pharmacist was concerned about the amount I was taking and told my dr he was giving me another med to coat my stomach!!!
Noone knows more about managing your pain, then a pain management dr!!!
One thing I've learned through this board/other members, is that alot of surgeons don't seem to want anything to do with you once they've done the surgery!!! Especially if it failed!! It seems as though they figure they're work (surgery) is the answer, and if it goes wrong/doesn't work, it's a shot to their ego or something LOL!! Just my opinion!!
It's also been my experience with surgeons, that if they can't operate on you, they want nothing to do with you!!! I've seen two orthosurgeons and as soon as they saw my films and decided there was nothing surgical they could do, they said good luck and goodbye!! It's been over 6yrs for me now!! I'm waiting for an appt with a neuro surgeon, so we'll see if she turns me away like the rest LOL!! Take care!!

Closed Thread