It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 05:01 PM   #1

teamucla HB User
Angry Hip Pain 7 Months Post Op Micro Discectomy

Hi folks - 1st time posting.

I had micro-discectomy surgery on May 19, 03. The surgery seemed to go great - the severe pain I was experiencing in my left buttocks and leg was virtually gone. The recovery took a bit longer than I would have liked (but isn't that true for alot of us).

In mid August, I had a setback. The muscles in my low back were seizing up causing tremendous pain. I couldn't stand up straight. Doc took another MRI and said results suggested serious inflammation of the muscles and ligaments in the area of the surgery. Prescribed Vicodin, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. Also received oral steroids. It took me a couple of months to just stand up without pain. Since the pain wouldn't go away completely, the Doc eventually OKed an epidural steroid injection at the beginning of November. Worked pretty well but I still haven't been able to get back to normal.

Here's the problem: I've had pain on the top of my pelvic bone (iliac crest). It randomly switches from side to side (a few days on the right then a few days on the left - sometimes both sides). Has anybody else experienced these kind of post op problems? Any thoughts on how to get rid of it (stretching, excercises, meds, steroids, etc.)?? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike

Old 12-31-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Hip Pain 7 Months Post Op Micro Discectomy

Hi Teamucla, welcome aboard!! You've come to a great place for support and complete understanding!!
I haven't had any surgery but I do have leg pain that switches from right to left and sometimes both sides. My drs say it's all part of the sciatica, herniated discs, and DDD. Is it possible that you've reinjured something? I have no idea how to get rid of it though LOL 'cause I'm still suffering from it! I do wish you luck though, take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
(male)

ELDERPANTHER HB User

I had surgery at the L4-5 level. Mico-discectomy. I too experienced pain at the Iliiac Crest area but only on one side. After many tests mine turned out to be Epidural Fibrosis (scar tissue). They also thought in my case it could have been a reherniation or my sacroilliac joint. I have since had a second operation (16 months after my first) for the scar tissue which has been somewhat successful, but in many cases a second operation can make things worse. Study all your options to the enth degree and good luck to you.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #4

teamucla HB User

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned, I had an MRI four months after my original micro-discectomy surgery. Doc told me MRIs soon after surgery are often difficult to read - sometimes they suggest further damage when everything is OK and vice versa. I hope that with time it will heal. If it lingers, what are the tests that I should seek for scar tissue? Thanks!

Mike

[QUOTE=ELDERPANTHER]I had surgery at the L4-5 level. Mico-discectomy. I too experienced pain at the Iliiac Crest area but only on one side. After many tests mine turned out to be Epidural Fibrosis (scar tissue). They also thought in my case it could have been a reherniation or my sacroilliac joint. I have since had a second operation (16 months after my first) for the scar tissue which has been somewhat successful, but in many cases a second operation can make things worse. Study all your options to the enth degree and good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi Mike!
I am 4 months post discectomy/laminectomy and I thought things were going great then about 3 months post op I have been having trouble with swelling of the muscles and ligaments/fascia where my doctor had to cut it and sutured it back together. It has been driving me nuts making me think that my surgery was a total failure. I'm praying that it goes down and gets better. I just can't seem to get over it. I will think it is getting better then I'll try to be a little more active and it gets worse again. Did they explain to you why it was happening so long after surgery? I just can't figure that part out. I'm so afraid that it's not going to get better.
I have alot of pain/tugging feeling in my sacrum/iliac crest area that is really annoying to and I don't know if it is from the swelling irritating the nerve again or what. Is this what you have too? I'm wondering if it is nerve damage or something and the nerve just won't calm down. How long have you been having problems with the swelling? Do you feel the lumpyness when it swells around where they operated?
I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard. I don't think it is the disc that has re'herniated or anything cause the pain really doesn't go down my leg much be I'm afraid that it will never subside.

Christina

Last edited by Mistina; 01-02-2004 at 05:45 AM.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #6

teamucla HB User

Hi Christina,

Your current situation sounds ALOT like mine. Microdiscetomy on 5/19/03. After the surgery, I was cruising along pretty well (I wasn't "back to normal", but I was feeling a heckuva lot better than before - no pain in my hip or down my leg). About three months after the surgery, I started to feel stiff in the low back. Soon afterwards, I couldn't stand up straight. Waited four weeks and it didn't go away. The muscles started to seize up in my low back (felt like a charlie horse except in my low back - ouch!!). After ER and a doc visit, I was prescribed muscle relaxants (Soma then Skelaxin), pain meds (Vicodin) and anti-inflams (tried alot, settled on Celebrex). Seizing muscles abated, but the stiffness lingered. Eventually, I was able to stand straight but I was still having pain on the top of my pelvis (Iliac Crest). This pain seems to switch from side to side over time (I guess I overcompensate and it moves to the other side). In late October, doc agreed to an epidural. This REALLY helped. Again, I didn't get back to perfect but I felt better than I had in a long while. Around mid December, the pain on the top of the pelvis returned. I had asked doc how long epidural would last and he told me "think forever". As much as I tried to think forever, I think from my experience it lasts about eight weeks.

Things have improved over the last few days so I'm going to wait before visiting the doc again. I'll let you know what happens. Best of luck to you - keep your chin up. Half of this battle is mental.

Mike

Old 01-03-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
(female)

jchernyb HB User

I have not had the surgery yet, however, my right hip and pelvic area have horrible pain. When I am sitting in a chair, unless I have supports to pull me up, I have a horrible time just getting out of a chair. It feels like my right hip is popping in and out of joint. I think it may be the siatica nerve inflamed hitting against something but I have never had my right hip x-rayed either. I have herniation at L2-L3 with L3nerveroot hitting to the "left" so that is why I cannot figure out such pain the right. I also have decompreesion of L5-S1 area. All the horror stories of post-op makes me want to re-consider surgery.

Closed Thread