It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Inactive

eris619 HB User
Angry Physical Therapy after PLIF??

I have a question for all those who have had a PLIF. How many of you are getting physical therapy? Either water or regular... I am now 3 months post of and have been pleading for therapy. My joints ache, my muscles are tight and I am miserable. My x-rays look fine. Dr says that he wasnt planning on sending me for months and months of therapy. Prior to my surgery he said he would do whatever it took to get me better. I do walk on my treadmill quite a bit everyday so its not like I do nothing. Anyone have any advice for me?? It seems like Drs just dont follow through with the care....I feel cheated.. Thanks... ErIs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 05:48 AM   #2

SusanPLIF HB User
Re: Physical Therapy after PLIF??

[QUOTE=eris619]I have a question for all those who have had a PLIF. How many of you are getting physical therapy? Either water or regular... I am now 3 months post of and have been pleading for therapy. My joints ache, my muscles are tight and I am miserable. My x-rays look fine. Dr says that he wasnt planning on sending me for months and months of therapy. Prior to my surgery he said he would do whatever it took to get me better. I do walk on my treadmill quite a bit everyday so its not like I do nothing. Anyone have any advice for me?? It seems like Drs just dont follow through with the care....I feel cheated.. Thanks... ErIs[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
In my situation, I didn't get a script for PT until 12 weeks out. I assumed it was because they were waiting for a firm start to the fusion site before putting too much stress on the joint. My doctors really wanted me to do close to nothing (except for walking, of course - 2x a day) for that long. It really is important to not stress the site too much.
When I did go, I went 3x a week for 4 weeks, and then 1x week for 4 weeks. I was released from PT after that because I was doing so well, and I feel like they did a good job. I'm moving around much better and continue to do core stabilization and strengthening exercises at home 3x a week, stretches every morning, etc etc.
I had my 5 mo neuro checkkup on Monday and I am FUSED! Doc said to wait for until about 1 yr out from surgery to know for sure what the "as good as it gets" feeling is like.
So... patience is the word. I'm fused, but still healing around it. Still have SOME pain (mostly from the graft site), but I'm sooo much better. I take it easy, but gradually am increasing my activities.

I understand you frustration though. hang in there - hope it gets better for you!
Susan

August 1, 2003 PLIF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Morning Eris, it's my opinion that if you want physio and your dr won't give it to you.....find another dr!!!
Around here, most of the drs are all for pt no matter how long after, and they say the sooner you start, the easier it is to be able to help you!!
I haven't had surgery yet (apparently not an option), but my dr waited 8 wks post accident before sending me and my therapist said he made it harder for them to help me!!
Of course, you're going to get different opinions!! Just go with your gut 'cause only you know what your body's ready for!! I wish you luck, take care!!

Old 12-31-2003, 07:45 AM   #4
(male)

TomL HB User

In my case my surgeon wrote the PT order 16 weeks after surgery. In my 35 years of back problems I have been to many different PT's. My surgeon recommended this PT for my post surgery recovery.
She has a MS in PT and specialized in back and pelvic problems. I have really learned how to take care of my back from her. She really works on core strength and makes sure to strenghten the transverse abdonimal muscle, which is the most important thing to learn. I recommend doing a search on the internet for trans abdominals and learn as much as possible about this muscle. None of the other PT's ever mentioned the importance of the trans ab which makes me wonder if they are up to date. All the recent research indicates the need for back patients to use the trans ab to keep the spine stable.
Although I am having foot numbness and some pelvic pain I now am able to walk 5 miles a day and spend an hour a day at the gym doing various exercises after have two different fusion surgery in the last 18 months.
Good Luck

Old 12-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

That's great news Tom!! I love hearing success stories!! You don't see many of them on here 'cause most successes don't come around anymore LOL!! Take care, and good luck to you too!!

Old 12-31-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
Inactive

eris619 HB User

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. It is very frusturating to me that my Dr. just insists that he isnt sending me. Im out on Workers Comp so I dont really know how the second opinion thing works but my lawyer should. I just feel like Im getting the short end of the stick. Im getting married in June and I want to get my shape back for my dress plus we hope to have children some day.. actually a few years. Im only 24. Thanks for letting me vent. Hope you all are doing well..Best wishes. Eris

Closed Thread