It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #1

Patigo HB User
INFUSE procedure and Sleep Number Beds

Hello,
I've got a couple questions I could use some input on. I just had a laminectomy and disketomy on L5,L6 in October. Unfortunately, the darn thing reherniated and I'm experiencing the same pain, only now I have a scar on my back.. My doc told me he recommends a INFUSE procedure. I guess this is where he goes in through the front and opens up that vertebre and places a cage with a material called BMP in between that will graft to the bone to open my narrowing disc space. This sounds so overwhelming and scary!!! I also am waking up every morning feeling like I've slept on rocks and I'm curious about the sleep number bed. Does anyone have one and what do you think??

Old 12-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #2

Tooee HB User
Re: INFUSE procedure and Sleep Number Beds

I have a Select Comfort number bed. I wish I had bought it years ago or as soon as it came on hte market. I had years of pain while trying to sleep. I hurt my back in 1978 and it is now getting real bad.
I bought the Select Comfort bed almost a year ago. The first couple nights were painful but then I havent had a painful night since! I actually sleep pain free on the thing.
I say go for it.

[QUOTE=Patigo]Hello,
I've got a couple questions I could use some input on. I just had a laminectomy and disketomy on L5,L6 in October. Unfortunately, the darn thing reherniated and I'm experiencing the same pain, only now I have a scar on my back.. My doc told me he recommends a INFUSE procedure. I guess this is where he goes in through the front and opens up that vertebre and places a cage with a material called BMP in between that will graft to the bone to open my narrowing disc space. This sounds so overwhelming and scary!!! I also am waking up every morning feeling like I've slept on rocks and I'm curious about the sleep number bed. Does anyone have one and what do you think??[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER]Good Morning Patigo,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. I had a 2 level lumbar fusion with Infuse on June 30, 2003. The FDA has approved Infuse only to be used with cages. My surgery was done without cages and my surgeon had used disc spacers instead. Therefore my surgery is experimental and not FDA approved and could be the reason why I have complication's. My surgeon did explain this to me prior to my surgery and told me that he had done this on other patient's with good outcomes. Your surgeon is most likely planning on uses the cages so here is a little information on the INFUSE.

INFUSE Bone Graft contains recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein (rhBMP-2), the genetically engineered version of a naturally occurring protein that is capable of initiating bone growth, or bone regeneration, in specific, targeted areas in the spine. Approved for use with the LT-CAGE Lumbar Tapered Fusion Device, INFUSE Bone Graft is indicated to treat certain types of spinal degenerative disc disease, a common cause of low back pain. Using INFUSE Bone Graft with the LT-CAGE Device in spine surgery reduces the pain and complications associated with treating degenerative disc disease by eliminating the second surgery required to harvest bone from a patient's hip, as is done in traditional spinal fusion procedures.

Spinal fusions essentially "weld" two or more vertebrae together to eliminate the pain caused by a damaged disc in the spine. To fuse the vertebrae together, surgeons traditionally insert pieces of the patient's own bone between the vertebrae to prompt the body to grow new bone. But implanting the bone chips actually requires two surgeries -- one to chip off small pieces of bone from around the patient's hip (autograft) and another to insert them in the spine. Studies have shown that the bone harvesting procedure can be more painful than the fusion itself, and nearly a third of patients experience some hip pain two years following surgery.

INFUSE Bone Graft eliminates the painful harvesting surgery because it contains rhBMP-2, which induces the body to grow its own bone where it is needed.

To use INFUSE Bone Graft, surgeons reconstitute the rhBMP-2 powder with supplied sterile water and then apply it to collagen sponges. The sponges are inserted inside each of two LT-CAGE Lumbar Tapered Fusion Devices, which are then implanted between the vertebrae. The thimble-like cages stabilize the spine while it is fusing and also maintain the proper height between the vertebrae. The tapered design of the cage is intended to help restore the natural curvature (lordosis) between vertebrae in the spine, as compared to traditional cylindrical cages.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER] [SIZE=4]Have a Happy New Year[/SIZE] [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 12-31-2003, 05:42 PM   #4

ktshobe HB User

I had a futon mattress when I hurt my back, and boy, did it hurt while sleeping on that thing! Since then, got a Sleep Number bed, and it has made a world of difference. I can sleep a lot better, and it hurts less in the morning. Other beds might have the same effect as well, but I picked the Select Comfort bed because they had a store by me and I wanted it quickly.

good luck,
Katie

Old 12-31-2003, 06:56 PM   #5

Tooee HB User

Tomorrow:
That is great info on the Infuse. I was very interested in reading that and am going to ask my Dr about it. I need to do something to get moving around again pain free.

I just got my one month bill from my physcial therapist: $ 4,402.00!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!! My insurance won't cover any of it because its a pre-existing problem.
I feel sunk now.

Old 01-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

Hello,
I had a lumbar laminectomy at L5 S1 9 years ago now. I have had my sleep number bed 4 years ago this coming month. I love my bed & I recommend it to everyone I know. I have three relatives and two friends that have bought them since I bought mine. I would never buy a regular bed again. I think its the best investment you could ever buy for your back. Go for it. I swear if I could do a commercial for the company I would. I even have their pillows. Its worth every penny!!!! The bed is fantastic on your back!
Abrniidgrl

Old 01-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][B][CENTER]Good Morning Tooee,[/CENTER][/B]
[INDENT]Welcome to the Healthboards for Back Problems. I think that Infuse does save time in surgery and it does help with less pain of bone grafting. My recovery has been a difficult one but as I have stated my infuse was done without cages. So I will say don't ever agree to having infuse without cages. I don't think that many surgeon's are conducting this study. This was my mistake on agreeing to this experiment.

Wow, that is some bill for therapy. And that is only for one month. I am sorry but I really can't offer any help on these issue's. But that does seem really expensive to me. I think the Healthboards does have a page for insurance issue's. If you go to the home page you may find it there. I wish you the best of luck.[/INDENT]
[B][CENTER]Jeanne[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread