It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

defective HB User
Cool Who has had BAK cage surgery

Hey as you can see I am new here. I am a 40 yr. old male. I had a previos back surgery in 1992 it was a microdiscectomy at the L5 S1 level. I did fairly well with it. But over the last few years (4-5yrs) it has been giving me problems at least once or twice a yr. I'll take muscle relaxants & anti-inflammatories and they usually help for a while. In the summer of 2002 it got worse again I went to see a nuerosurgeon (my girlfriend reccomended him. She is a Registered Nurse in the recovery room at the local hospital & she says he does back surgeries quite a lot with good results)He said the disc that I had surgery on in '92 had begun to degenerate. He recomended therapy which helped for a while as usual but about a year later in Aug. 2003 it got really bad with pain in the usual places lower back hip & legs and now I had pain where a man shouldnt be having pain (nuff said) Got another MRI and the doc said it had gotten even worse he said that the verterbra had begun to collapse. He said I would eventually have to have surgery. He said he would use a BAK cage. He showed what one looks like (looks like a hollow bolt) and showed me a model of a spine with cages in it. Some more anti-inflammatories,muscle relaxants and cortisone and I felt better until about late Nov. and it hit me again. He told me I had to get another MRI he said it sounded like it had collapsed further....anyway does anyone have the BAK cages.....how does it feel.....How is the mobility.....the doc told me I would have as much mobility as ever after I healed. But I want to hear from someone who actually lives with them....any info will be much appreciated Thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

michigansk8er HB User
Re: Who has had BAK cage surgery

I'm getting a Stryker cage (I'm assuming it's the same thing or similar) on Thursday. I would appreciate mobility reports too. I've heard that mobility will be fine with just one cage, but limited with two. I'm a competitive adult skater, and really hope I will be back on the ice someday. Mobility is important, but so is being able to do high impact activities (such as jumping, in my case).

I was told the success rate is 80%...............so opted to go for it, rather than 100% odds of living miserably like I am, and not being able to do anything.

It's a tough decision to go ahead. I thought about it for quite awhile.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:24 AM   #3

meb1957 HB User

My son had the surgery in October 2002. He was 27. He is still suffering a great deal. Is addicted to pain medication and his life is ruined. I begged him to wait as there are so many new options being tested now. A very successful option being used in Europe is a new material that will act like a disc and replace the metal cages and the need for bones to fuse. If you can wait... please try to.. Look for more information on this procedure. I know you will find more info on the Web. Once a fusion is done the new procedure will not be an option for later. I know that everyone is different but I have really never heard of anyone that feels as good as new after they had a fusion. I suppose there is no choice sometimes. Good Luck to you!!

Old 01-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #4

BionicSurfer HB User

Not sure is this will help but what the heck.
I had a 360 fusion L4-S1 with cages rods and screws on Jan 9 2003 (yup it's almost my anniversary)
I've noticed very little mobility problems. In the last year I've surfed, road roller coasters and painted the outside of my home. I did have to have the rods and screws removed in December. The story is that I was running out of room with the scar tissue and all that metal back there. I feel much better now. The good doctor cleaned out the scar tissue, verified that I was fully fused, left the cages in and gave me on hell of a paper weight. He let me keep my hardware (ok so I'm weird).
I'm not sure if it's for everyone, but in my case it was a life saver!
Good Luck

BionicSurfer
(guess I should change my name now?)

Last edited by BionicSurfer; 01-08-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Closed Thread