It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #1

ninja22 HB User
Can disc cause abdominal pain?

I am 36M with degerative herniated disc at L4-L5. For about a month now, I have been experiencing lots of pain on my left hip area along with my usual back & sciatic pain. Coincidentally, I'm having some sharp abdominal pain about 2 inches left to my bellybutton. Has anyone experienced this? Should I be worried that this abdominal pain is a separate issue from my back & hip pain?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #2

QOD HB User
Re: Can disc cause abdominal pain?

I was a student at a college for registered massage therapy, and was taught various orthopedic tests to determine the cause/source of pain... but do not take my word as law, please see your dr.

The spot you describe as causing you pain... I know of as Baer's sacroiliac point. It is tender/sore when touched when a person has a sacroiliac lesion or spasms in your iliacus muscles. (in your lower back). As the injury you have is lumbar, and therefore very close to your sacroiliac region, it MAY be related.

I don't know if this of much help to you though.

This is by no means a diagnosis of your pain, just an idea as to its cause. I would ask your dr about this.

Take care and good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User

Hi Ninja22 and welcome

Other pains is common with back problems as all nerves going to the legs run through the lumbar & sacral regions. Back to legs--must go through hips. In fact, that is exactly where these nerves go....right next and around the joint where the femur (leg bone) meets the illiac crest (hip bone). So hip pain is common as well as buttox pain, leg pain (running down the backs or outsides)...calf and/or shin pain....soles of feet or top of foot pain.

There could be other things going on....try using the process of elimination. Example: if you are having trouble say--twisting your body this way or that. It could be the piriformis muscle. There is a test for that. I would say you have more than one thing causing these other pains. Keep tabs on when you get the most pains and where and when. Try to keep a journal. That will help you pinpoint just what is aggravating your hip (area) and what not do to and what you should be doing. All of this is the only defense you have for yourself so when you see the doctor...you will have a fluid and fluent history of your pains (with a written history) and it will give the doc a clearer picture of what you are going through and what the possibilities could be for your condition (diagnosis) and treatment.

A kinesiologist or an acupressurist or quite possibly a good massage therapist (like for sports therapy) are all trained to select and pinpoint muscle groups for testing and aiding. I suggest this as another way to somehow determine if your hip pain is related to your back pain....this is something you will need to take on yourself for yourself. Some doctors will say "they aren't related" while others will say "they are". Listen to your own body....carefully. That's the best advice I can give you on this. Good luck to you.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #4

ninja22 HB User

thank Qod & Success, very helpful

I wish I can find a physician who's able to indentify not only the disc but all related areas including the muscles. I saw the bests of the best neurosurgeons her in Chicago but none of them can diagnose piriformis or sacro illiac problem. All they do is ordering MRI & other fluid testings and diagnose protuding disc which is no news for me for the last 12 years.

How can I go about finding a good kinesiologist or accupressurist?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #5

QOD HB User

You could try seeing an RMT/LMT (registered or licenced massage therapist). You shouldn't need a referral or anything to get in, and if this pain is muscular in nature it can help relieve the pressure on any affect/impinged nerves.
I'm in Canada so things may be different, but it's my belief that massage therapy is often beneficial in relieving/helping control pain and muscular tension.

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread