It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
(male)

bike5 HB User
Upper Butt, Lower Back, Left Side Only; thoughts?

Hi I am 20 and about a month ago my left side upper butt lower back started to hurt a little and then during certain movement like twisting the back the pain hits so hard in that one spot is just collapses me to the ground. It also hurts more mainly when I am in a sitting position, like while driving my car or sitting here typing this. I can put pressure with my figures on the point that's like a 2x2 inch area and it really hurts. I am still able to do activities with the pain, with the excepting of when it feels like a pinch something and it hurts so bad I about collapse (this also usually only happing during the twisting of the back OR standing with all my weight on my left leg).

I also race motocross and do a lot of work around my house with a shovel so my back takes a pretty good pounding during a normal week, if that is the sole problem? Although I have a lot of friends that do the same thing that have never developed this problem.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and what it was or if this sounds like something impaticular let me know. I haven't gone to the doctor yet but I am planning to really soon, I just would like an idea of what it "might" be before I go. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:53 AM   #2

byrdwoman HB User
Re: Upper Butt, Lower Back, Left Side Only; thoughts?

Hi Bike5,
I started out with the same symptons you did 7 yrs ago. With alittle sharp pain in my butt. Then i got some discomfort in my lower back. Pressure pain and somethings did trigger more sharp pain. I went for a mri and it showed i had to bulged disk in the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. I tried traction, physical therapy, and meds. The pain got worse and then the left leg pain spread to the thigh, calf, foot and toes. Weakness in that area followed. I then decided to have a laminotomy done @ L5-S1 level in 96 to take some of the disc off the nerve. It failed. Then i had a second opinion in 98. Surgery followed that. I had BAK cages in the 2 levels. This surgery was unsuccessful. Now i have been seeing a doctor in San Francisco who deals with failed back surgery.

My advice to you is wait before you have surgery. Unless you having problems with urinating. Or your foot becomes unbearably numb. What i wish i did is tried to work through it and do back stabilization exercises to re-condition a bad back.
I have interviewed several great Physical Therapist and they all say they would not have surgery unless they tried everything including excercise or anything you can find to stay away from the operating table. After about a year or 2 then they said surgery would be considered. Sounds like you are having a disc problems, but on the other hand no one on this board will or wants to play doc. Get it checked out. You will need to probably get a mri. Im on the fence to say this but,the most effective test for backs/necks is called a discogram. Its not a real pleasant test, but will help the doctor on his diagnosis better then any other test.It will show the Dr. in more detail what needs to be done.
Be smart and patient. Its a life altering decision. Your starting off on the good foot by finding out from many people that are going through what you are or already have. Good luck Bike5.. keep us posted.

[QUOTE=bike5]Hi I am 20 and about a month ago my left side upper butt lower back started to hurt a little and then during certain movement like twisting the back the pain hits so hard in that one spot is just collapses me to the ground. It also hurts more mainly when I am in a sitting position, like while driving my car or sitting here typing this. I can put pressure with my figures on the point that's like a 2x2 inch area and it really hurts. I am still able to do activities with the pain, with the excepting of when it feels like a pinch something and it hurts so bad I about collapse (this also usually only happing during the twisting of the back OR standing with all my weight on my left leg).

I also race motocross and do a lot of work around my house with a shovel so my back takes a pretty good pounding during a normal week, if that is the sole problem? Although I have a lot of friends that do the same thing that have never developed this problem.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and what it was or if this sounds like something impaticular let me know. I haven't gone to the doctor yet but I am planning to really soon, I just would like an idea of what it "might" be before I go. Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
Inactive

Pippin HB User

[QUOTE=bike5]
I also race motocross and do a lot of work around my house with a shovel so my back takes a pretty good pounding during a normal week... Although I have a lot of friends that do the same thing that have never developed this problem.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with the previous answer that, from the information you've provided, it sounds like it may be a disc problem. Professional analysis is definitely needed.

You need to STOP the motocross racing and the yard work until you know what your situation is and what your options are. That kind of abuse to your back while it is hurting is very bad. And, everyone's body is different -- you can't compare yourself to your friends on this issue.

My husband had a bad disc as a young man and had to stop most of his activities, including dirt bikes. He's convinced that riding the bikes was a major contributor to the problem. But he was lucky -- he had a microsurgery to remove a portion of the disc (that was 28 years ago) -- and since then everything has been terrific. He even got back to riding, though on a street bike.

Treat yourself well until you know what you are dealing with. Please don't take chances with your back.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

[QUOTE=Pippin]I agree with the previous answer that, from the information
you've provided, it sounds like it may be a disc problem. Professional analysis is definitely needed.

You need to STOP the motocross racing and the yard work until you know what your situation is and what your options are. That kind of abuse to your back while it is hurting is very bad. And, everyone's body is different -- you can't compare yourself to your friends on this issue.

My husband had a bad disc as a young man and had to stop most of his activities, including dirt bikes. He's convinced that riding the bikes was a major contributor to the problem. But he was lucky -- he had a microsurgery to remove a portion of the disc (that was 28 years ago) -- and since then everything has been terrific. He even got back to riding, though on a street bike.

Treat yourself well until you know what you are dealing with. Please don't take chances with your back.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem and the doctor I am seeing is doing Lumbar Facet Injections, and so far they are working. Just had the left side done yesterday. Had the right side done three weeks ago and can do normal stuff up to a point which is a huge improvement. These are temporary, but heck a few weeks of normalicy is better than failed surgeries. Research all your other options. There are several other things that my doctor can do for me. This was to be a series of 3 sets of 5 injections and I don't have to have the 3rd one done, so I think that is wonderful.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
(male)

bike5 HB User

I talked to my weight training coach at college and he had me do some stretches and I explained everything to him. He seemed to think it is a pulled muscle or something with the muscle. He told me to ice it every 10 mins throughout the day when I have a chance and stretch it periodically thought out the day. He told me not to come to class next session and sent me home, he suggested I need to ice it and stretch, lay off doing anything to aggravate it and it should get better. He said its probably not getting better because I don't give it a chance it heal and am not icing it, he also mentioned I shouldn't put any heat on it. I am going to try this for a couple days and if there is no improvement after the couple days I will head to the doctor. Thanks for everyones input.

Closed Thread