It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

luciansava HB User
Question Lower back pain from vegetarian diet

Hello,

I had used to have a vegetarian diet for about 8 months before finding out that this diet was the main reason of my lower back pain. I wasn't eating any meat, not even fish. Around 3 months after I started the vegetarian diet, I noticed some lower back pain, very little at that time. Then, after 5 months it got pretty bad, sometimes I had problems walking. I could bend, but very limited. I wasn't feeling the pain in the lumbar spine, just in my lower back and many times in the hips. It was present all the time.

I KNOW the reason for the pain was the diet because about a week ago I re-started to eat meat, including fish (animal proteins!). Starting with the very first meal and then during the days ahead I noticed some tremendeous improvement! Now I can walk very well, and it only hurts me if I walk for a longer time. But it's MUCH better now, overall. I can bend very good, with little pain/discomfort.

Questions...

Have any of you experienced lower back pain because of the lack of animal proteins (ie: vegetarian diet)? Do you have any idea what could help me more to fully recover? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Lucian

Old 02-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #2

GracieGirl HB User
Re: Lower back pain from vegetarian diet

I don't know the answer, but I am a veggie and suffer lower back pain...interesting. I do eat fish as well as dairy and eggs. I also take a B vitamin supplement. Were you a vegan? Do your drs have anything to say about it. Just wondering. Glad you are feeling better
Graciegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 02:04 AM   #3
(male)

luciansava HB User
Angry Re: Lower back pain from vegetarian diet

I can't say I was a vegetarian, I just planned on going so. I think it was a bad thing to interrupt meat that fast . I didn't eat any meat for about 8 months, and I interrupted it in just one day.

After three months I noticed by lower back was hurting me a bit. Anyhow, I think I suffered (and still am) from protein malnutrition or anemia. I read on the Internet that malnutrition can cause lots of bad things, including back pain. It's the tissues and the muscles that develop problems because the lack of proteins.

I don't know what to think... anyhow, right now it's much better after about 10 days since I restarted to eat meat too. I would say it's about 70% better than before, so a lot of improvement. I hope it will get better in time.

How do you feel the pain in your lower-back? I didn't feel like it was coming from the spine. I felt it in my entire lower back and sometimes in the hips too. When I would walk for longer time (say 30-40 minutes), it got worse. I think there was some kind of inflammation because I was feeling much better when I was taking anti-inflammatory pills. So i guess there was some kind of inflammation, I don't know if this can be related or not.

Exercising would not help me at all, the pain was there all the time.

Lucian

Old 02-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #4

GracieGirl HB User
Re: Lower back pain from vegetarian diet

I probably need to clarify that I do have structural problems with my back that is causing me pain. I was just curious about the diet making it worse. My pain in my lower back is like someone has hit me with a baseball bat. My spine hurts, as well as the surrounding muscles, and it extends up my back muscles which feel like someone is stabbing me with a knife in my mid and upper back. Lovely description, huh? I too am on anti-inflammatories and they seem to help some. Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on my iron levels.

5/02 onset of low back pain
11/02 physical therapy, pain same
5/03 physical therapy, discharged, not effective
7/03 lumbar MRI, disc protrusion L5-S1, annular disc tear
8/03 chiropractor, physical therapy, pain worse
10/03 MRI thoracic spine, 2 small hemangiomas, trace fluid on lungs
11/03 tested for Lupus, negative
11/03 orhtopedic surgeon, canidate for future artificial disc replacement surgery when approved
1/04 epidurals

Closed Thread