It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #1

coles mom HB User
Unhappy Nerve blocks and "conscious sedation"...question

I am new to this particular board here and very glad that I found it. Monday I am going for a nerve block with my PM dr. I was told that he would be using "conscious sedation". *I* was under the impression that meant that I wouldn't really know what was going on but I would be awake (for all practicaly purposes). But my cousin, who also attends the same clinic, said that she was under what is called "conscious sedation" and she was FULLY aware of what was going on and that it was quite painful.

I am scared to death. My back hurts bad enough as it is and I am so afraid something is going to go wrong or that it won't work or it will make it worse. It doesn't help matters that I can't eat after midnight on Sunday and my procedure isn't until 2 or 3 p.m.! We also have a 2 hour drive/ride to and from the hospital. (which my husband will be driving)

Can anyone tell me their experience with "conscious sedation"? I have a history of being EXTREMELY non sensative to pain meds and drugs that make you sleepy. Generally it takes more anesthesia to put me to sleep for surgeries than most (normal) people. I just have a high tolerance. I am really frightened.

Help?

Julie

Old 02-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Inactive

Pippin HB User
Re: Nerve blocks and "conscious sedation"...question

Julie,

I have had 5 epidurals/transforaminals in the lumbar area, all under "conscious sedation," which I believe is Versed. I slept soundly through each of the procedures and had NO memory of anything. They will start an IV on you before the procedure, and the anesthesia is administered that way.

If you have a concern, TALK to the nurse when she/he comes in to prep you for the procedure. Tell them you want to be unaware of what is happening and that you are very nervous/scared. They will do whatever it takes to make you comfortable. They do not want a wiggly or hyperventilating patient on their table, I assure you!

I do think the no food/water from the previous midnight is excessive. You are going to be dehydrated. Six hours of fasting should be sufficient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

michigansk8er HB User

Julie,

My experience was the same as Pippin's. No clue whatsoever. I'm also one that has a high tolerance to pain meds, etc, which I mentioned..........and they had no trouble getting me to zonk out. All I remember is the nurse telling me it was over, and me thinking she was kidding.

Michigansk8er

Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #4

larryp HB User

[QUOTE=coles mom]I am new to this particular board here and very glad that I found it. Monday I am going for a nerve block with my PM dr. I was told that he would be using "conscious sedation". *I* was under the impression that meant that I wouldn't really know what was going on but I would be awake (for all practicaly purposes). But my cousin, who also attends the same clinic, said that she was under what is called "conscious sedation" and she was FULLY aware of what was going on and that it was quite painful.

I am scared to death. My back hurts bad enough as it is and I am so afraid something is going to go wrong or that it won't work or it will make it worse. It doesn't help matters that I can't eat after midnight on Sunday and my procedure isn't until 2 or 3 p.m.! We also have a 2 hour drive/ride to and from the hospital. (which my husband will be driving)

Can anyone tell me their experience with "conscious sedation"? I have a history of being EXTREMELY non sensative to pain meds and drugs that make you sleepy. Generally it takes more anesthesia to put me to sleep for surgeries than most (normal) people. I just have a high tolerance. I am really frightened.

Help?

Julie[/QUOTE]
Julie,
As you can see by my signature below I have some experience. I had two nerve blocks last summer with sedative. Remember that a nerve block is a diagnostic tool to determine what area your pain is coming from so if you are too sedate it is hard to objectively determine your results. This past week I had THREE nerve blocks at different levels of my lumbar spine for diagnostic purposes. They were all done 20 minutes apart with NO sedative so I could better identify results. I am not bragging here but it can be done. The key here is to RELAX and think positively and say a small prayer. It helps if the Dr. is good. Mine was.
Be strong, RELAX, and be positive. Don't worry. You can do it!
Larry
1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Closed Thread