It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
Inactive

rmurf HB User
Night spasms/cramps in thigh and buttock - what causes this?

I recently started having MAJOR spasms and cramping in the back of my upper thigh and buttock (piriformis/glute area) that wakes me up after about 6 hours of sleep. It is so bad that I have to get up and move around. Does anyone else get this and is there something that works to stop the pain? It lessens once I'm up and about, but I'd sure like to do something to keep if from getting started and waking me up ( a few more hours of sleep would be welcome).

Old 02-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User
Re: Night spasms/cramps in thigh and buttock - what causes this?

[QUOTE=rmurf]I recently started having MAJOR spasms and cramping in the back of my upper thigh and buttock (piriformis/glute area) that wakes me up after about 6 hours of sleep. It is so bad that I have to get up and move around. Does anyone else get this and is there something that works to stop the pain? It lessens once I'm up and about, but I'd sure like to do something to keep if from getting started and waking me up ( a few more hours of sleep would be welcome).[/QUOTE]
the doctor told me that everyone is dehydrated and people with back problems are even more so and to drink at least a gallon of water a day- been working at it but can't seem to choke down that last quart...LOL
It has helped some. I hate that feeling when you wake up knowing full well that once you put your feet on the ground it is going to get worse. I think it is because we are at rest and everything tightens up. Mine starts after 4-6 hours of sleep and then I just say forget it and stay up even if it is the middle of the night. What I wouldn't give for a whole night's sleep, a real 8 hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #3

byrdwoman HB User

rmurf,
My cramps started like that in my buttocks and back of my thigh. Now sometimes if i move my foot or toes the wrong way i get a bad cramp in my calf. Im sure you've been told its from the sciatica nerve in the L5-S1 level. I was also told to drink alot of water. When i do i am less likely to have any episodes. That is about the best advice is drink alot of water. Try doing some streches with your back and legs before you go to bed. Good Luck!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Inactive

miseryweeps HB User

I get something similar to this. When I lie down at night and get relaxed,my tailbone feels like all the nerves are waking up and going haywire. Unless I pop my back it doesn't go away. It feels like there is a lot of pressure there too.Getting up and stretching helps some, but the thing that helps me the most is a hot hot bath. Then maybe I can go to sleep. It doesn't happen much thank goodness, but when it does it drives me crazyyyy...

[QUOTE=byrdwoman]rmurf,
My cramps started like that in my buttocks and back of my thigh. Now sometimes if i move my foot or toes the wrong way i get a bad cramp in my calf. Im sure you've been told its from the sciatica nerve in the L5-S1 level. I was also told to drink alot of water. When i do i am less likely to have any episodes. That is about the best advice is drink alot of water. Try doing some streches with your back and legs before you go to bed. Good Luck!!![/QUOTE]

Old 02-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #5

grace2 HB User

Probably a stupid question, but have you taken any muscle relaxers? The first week I hurt my neck I couldn't sleep without waking up each and every hour with severe cramps. I finally broke down and went to the doctor and got a prescription for Skelaxin (& Lortab & Bextra). That night was like a miracle. It's been almost a month now and I just take one or two a day instead of 6 I took in the beginning. They seem to work very well. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Inactive

rmurf HB User

Yes, I was told to take Zanaflex, but that really didn't help and I still woke up after about 3 hours in pain. I find Tylenol PM helps me to get at few more hours without the grogginess of the Zanaflex. It is really the Benadryl (antihistamine) in the PM that causes the drowsiness, but I don't know the long term effects of taking it. Also, the doc suggested an antidepressant Amitriptylene, but I am leary of these off label things, tho it seems to help others.

Closed Thread