It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #1

wolebearsnc HB User
Unhappy 2nd epidural steriod injection Frid.....scared even more than 1st one

hi to all...its been a long 2 weeks....had my 1st injection [will be 2 weeks this coming friday]...an going back on the 27th [friday] to have 2nd one...
the procedure on the 1st one was not as bad as I thought it would be BUT the next day I was in so much pain my hubby had to carry me to the bath room...
[called the hospital & was lucky that the dr. on call was the dr that did my injection ...said that this was not uncommom...lucky me]...
well now I am more scared this time because I dont want to hurt like that again.....
I know that they said I probably would not see a lot of change till the 2nd one ...so far the pain has not changed EXCEPT now my legs hurt MORE than before the injection...
guess I should tell them this when I see them friday...
I hate to hurt like this all the time & reading a lot of the post here my pain is nothing comapred to some of you all[my heart goes out to all of you]...
take care
wolebearsnc

Last edited by wolebearsnc; 02-24-2004 at 07:15 AM.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User
Re: 2nd epidural steriod injection Frid.....scared even more than 1st one

it is important to ice after procedure and take it easy for 24 hrs.i have had three in the past 9 months and except for the injection of meds had no pain afterwards.i truly believed they helped bring my pain levels to amanagable level althogh my orth doesnt agree.as far as im concerned anything that keeps you out of surgery is fine and you can safely get three a year.dont be scared and hopw they offer some relief....scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #3

wolebearsnc HB User

[QUOTE=scotty12]it is important to ice after procedure and take it easy for 24 hrs.i have had three in the past 9 months and except for the injection of meds had no pain afterwards.i truly believed they helped bring my pain levels to amanagable level althogh my orth doesnt agree.as far as im concerned anything that keeps you out of surgery is fine and you can safely get three a year.dont be scared and hopw they offer some relief....scott[/QUOTE]
thanks for the support....I did try the ice pack thing afer I got on the board & saw that is what a lot of other people did for releif...
again I will try the ice pack & hope [& pray] that the pain THIS time is not as bad ...
thanks wolebearsnc

Old 02-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

[QUOTE=wolebearsnc]thanks for the support....I did try the ice pack thing afer I got on the board & saw that is what a lot of other people did for releif...
again I will try the ice pack & hope [& pray] that the pain THIS time is not as bad ...
thanks wolebearsnc[/QUOTE]

Hi wolebearsnc,

I'll be thinking about you on Friday! Good luck! I go for my second one on Monday, and I'm pretty scared also- the pain from the first one was horrible. But I've got to agree with Scott...anything that keeps you out of surgery is great, and I'll endure pretty much anything to stay out of the OR! Again, good luck...and maybe get your husband to stop for donuts afterwards as someone else on this board did....I bet that will make you feel better!
Let us know how it goes!

Jessie

Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

[QUOTE=Jessie1]Hi wolebearsnc,

I'll be thinking about you on Friday! Good luck! I go for my second one on Monday, and I'm pretty scared also- the pain from the first one was horrible. But I've got to agree with Scott...anything that keeps you out of surgery is great, and I'll endure pretty much anything to stay out of the OR! Again, good luck...and maybe get your husband to stop for donuts afterwards as someone else on this board did....I bet that will make you feel better!
Let us know how it goes!

Jessie[/QUOTE]

Hi, it's me, donut girl.

I had my 2nd one done last Friday. I was sore for a couple of days, but so far (knock, knock, knock on wood), I haven't had to take anything stronger than a Vioxx and a Valium at night (for my neck/jaw tensing).

I haven't experienced the pain that others have, probably because my cervical damage is fairly minimal??? I really don't know.

I wish you well...grin and bear it and get through it. Maybe you could ask your doc for some extra pain meds for post-procedure pain just to get you through? If you can keep from surgery it would be wonderful.

Know that in terms of support, we will be right there with you...

Hugs,
Del.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:08 AM   #6

wolebearsnc HB User

tears tears... thanks to all of you for being so supportive...this time around my hubby will NOT be able to be with me [in case those of you did not read my other posts my hubby lives in NJ & commutes back n forth to NC where our son & I live]]...
my best friend [who has had theses injections in here abdomine ..she has fibermialga[sp]]is goinjg to take me AND then take me back to her house to stay the night so someone will be there with me besides my son...my poor son has a lot on his shoulders & also has a form of autism & is being so grown up lately ....I just hate that he has to be the Man of the house while his dad is in NJ ....
again thanks for the wonderful support

wolebearsnc

Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #7

freshwaterjim HB User

I will never go for epidurals again and had very little pain with mine,but it had no effect and delayed the right action for mounths. This "novacane for a broken leg treatment "is for the bean counters to save money,cause its cheep and you stop complaining.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:37 AM   #8

wolebearsnc HB User

guess I won't be able to go & have my injection on friday...we are having a what I call a southern snow storm[live in Raleigh NC area]...
I am considered a southern YANKEE as I am orginal from the Buffalo NY areas[45 miles south of Buffalo]....it is 9:30 am on thursday & so far no snow YET...but from the weather forcast we are suppose to get 5 to 10 inches of that nasty white stuff & this is suppose to continue into friday morning....I swear we only have 5 snow plows here in our county so that means NO SCHOOL AND not leaving the house till this melts....
guess this is a ggod thing about my NOT going in for my injection BUT that only prolongs my pain issues .....guess this is a mixed blessing...
lol
wolebearsnc

Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

[QUOTE=wolebearsnc]guess I won't be able to go & have my injection on friday...we are having a what I call a southern snow storm[live in Raleigh NC area]...
I am considered a southern YANKEE as I am orginal from the Buffalo NY areas[45 miles south of Buffalo]....it is 9:30 am on thursday & so far no snow YET...but from the weather forcast we are suppose to get 5 to 10 inches of that nasty white stuff & this is suppose to continue into friday morning....I swear we only have 5 snow plows here in our county so that means NO SCHOOL AND not leaving the house till this melts....
guess this is a ggod thing about my NOT going in for my injection BUT that only prolongs my pain issues .....guess this is a mixed blessing...
lol
wolebearsnc [/QUOTE]

Wolebearsnc,
I am also "southern Yankee"...I'm from outside of Binghamton, NY and now live in the Wilmington, NC area! We're also supposed to get snow...not as much as you though! I thought NC didn't get snow...that's why I moved here!Good luck with your (rescheduled) injection and keep us posted!

Jessie

Old 02-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #10

wolebearsnc HB User

[QUOTE=Jessie1]Wolebearsnc,
I am also "southern Yankee"...I'm from outside of Binghamton, NY and now live in the Wilmington, NC area! We're also supposed to get snow...not as much as you though! I thought NC didn't get snow...that's why I moved here!Good luck with your (rescheduled) injection and keep us posted!

Jessie [/QUOTE]
hi Jessie....well the snow has begun to hit here in Raleigh [Knightdale]NC....just got off the phone with the medical office where I get the injection done & they have cancelled me out for friday & will call me monday to get me rescheduled for next week...
yes I do know where Binghamton NY is ....never been there BUT have heard of it before...been in NC for 20 years AND yes I moved here ot get rid of this white stuff...
hahaha
so till next weeks appt...
be safe
wolebearsnc

Old 02-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #11

hedycarter1 HB User

I just want to say hello and that i am having my first ESI done on Monday, I am a bit afarid because I have heard many people talk about increased pain afterward. I will post how it went as soon as I am able.

thanks,

Hedy

Old 02-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #12

wolebearsnc HB User

[QUOTE=hedycarter1]I just want to say hello and that i am having my first ESI done on Monday, I am a bit afarid because I have heard many people talk about increased pain afterward. I will post how it went as soon as I am able.

thanks,

Hedy[/QUOTE]
hello back at you....
all I can tell you is what happened to me ...the procedure itself to me was no problem..,...it was the next day that I had a lot of pain...
BUT am sure you [well hope that you have ] read a lot of the posts here on this message board & you will read that no 2 injections seem to be the same...
as you have probably read above...my injection for friday was cancelled as we are in the middle of a major snow storm in NC....
the clinic said that I would get a call on monday to rescedule for next week...
my advice is to TRY & think ++++ thouhgts....the wonderful people from this board advised me to put ice packs on for 20 minutes @ a time ....
this did help a lot[also had some pergocet & xanax that I also took to help the pain.....2 days later I was fine...BUT I have not seen any improvement in my pain at all BUT everyone here & my dr. said I would not see anything probably till the 2nd injection....will think ++++ thoughts for YOU & hang in there....we all can hope n pray that something someday will ease our pain...
wolebearsNC

Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #13

hedycarter1 HB User

Hi there,

Were you frustrated or glad that it was postponed

Yes, I have read what all the others have been posting and it has helped very much! Why did your docotr say that you may not get any relief until the second injection? I guess that mine told me the same thing basically if the first one does not work we will do another one in c5-6.

Were you sedated for the first one? Was it done in a hospital? Mine is being done in the hospital as a out patient surgery. I am getting new symtoms al the time. Most reciently, both my hands and foremarms started giving up on me! and now I have a deep ache in them and my arms, not to mention my normal constant burning and stabbing pain

Wow that was alot of questions huh! Sorry!

thanks for responding!

hedy

Old 02-26-2004, 02:01 PM   #14

hedycarter1 HB User

Oh yeah,

Sorry that you are all have such a bad winter.. Brrrrrr...

Old 02-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

[QUOTE=hedycarter1]Hi there,

Were you frustrated or glad that it was postponed

Yes, I have read what all the others have been posting and it has helped very much! Why did your docotr say that you may not get any relief until the second injection? I guess that mine told me the same thing basically if the first one does not work we will do another one in c5-6.

Were you sedated for the first one? Was it done in a hospital? Mine is being done in the hospital as a out patient surgery. I am getting new symtoms al the time. Most reciently, both my hands and foremarms started giving up on me! and now I have a deep ache in them and my arms, not to mention my normal constant burning and stabbing pain

Wow that was alot of questions huh! Sorry!

thanks for responding!

hedy[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
I was also very scared before my first ESI, and got a lot of [I]great[/I] support from this board! I have not gotten a lot of relief from it, but I'm scheduled for my 2nd one on Monday and my doctor says it should help a lot more. He said I didn't get a lot of relief from the first one because there was so much inflammation and the nerve has been compressed for so long- nerves are the slowest healing things in the body.
It was done as an outpatient at a pain management center under fluoroscopy (live x-ray), and I did not get any sedation. They numbed the skin with Lidocaine first, and then injected some local anesthetic into my lower back (I have disc herniations and DDD at L4/5 and L5/S1). Unfortunately the local did not work very well for me (they injected the maximum amount and the procedure still caused me a lot of pain), but it may work very well for you. Once they found the correct nerve root (took them three tries...ouch ouch ouch!) they injected the steroid and it was over.
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems and are in so much pain! Hopefully the ESI will help give you some relief. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jessie

Closed Thread