It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 10:33 PM   #1

SilverMarble HB User
Unhappy muscle spasms after spinal fusion

hello, I had spinal fusion in my lumbar spine about a month ago, and wednesday night, started experiencing muscle spasms that made my entire body jerk. I took some muscle relaxers, and they went away. tonight, they came back, and muscle relaxers are not helping. why is this happening? do I need to see my orthopedist or PT?

Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 AM   #2

skipperdiggity HB User
Re: muscle spasms after spinal fusion

Having experienced muscle spasms after fusion myself, I would suggest that you call your doctor first. Usually you can leave a message about what is going on and they will call you back and tell you whether you should make an appointment with him or PT. Either way it never hurts to call your doctor if you have questions. That is partly what they are there for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 04:00 AM   #3

SilverMarble HB User
Unhappy Re: muscle spasms after spinal fusion

I went to my doctor, and have been seeing a PT every week now, and the muscle spasms have decreased, not stopped. the only thing that helps is hydrocodone, and I have 3 left, and my doctor refuses to refill them again, because he worries I will develop an addiction. I am also on diazepam (muscle relaxers) but I am almost out of those as well. the muscle spasms seem to be spreading, as they are now in both legs and right above my left shoulder blade. I have found that the best way to help the worst of them is to lie on them, but unfortunately, most of the time, that means laying on the spot where they took a rib out for bone graft, which is still very tender. is there a certain position I could sleep at night? because this is when the muscle spasms are worst, when I am laying down trying to sleep. thanks in advance,

Jess

Old 03-28-2004, 04:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi there,

I am 24 and had a PLIF of the L5S1 in October of last year. I am 5 months and my fusion has failed and so will be redone in 5 weeks.

Spasms are the bodys way of trying to re-establish connections between the muscles that have been cut during the surgery. Did you have a posterior or anterior apporoach? Basically all the muscles are still under trauma and ae trying to re-connect after being cut and they are basically working far too hard to early and so they spasm. It's perfectly normal. Time will heal it.

I experienced severe spasms the week after surgery and valium stopped these. Perhaps i am concerned though that you are having these spasms 1 month after. I had mine only for a week.

Brooke

Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #5

SilverMarble HB User

[QUOTE=Brooke79]Hi there,
Perhaps i am concerned though that you are having these spasms 1 month after. I had mine only for a week.
Brooke[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's almost two months now. I didnt recognize alot of the terms you used, but they went in through my side, took out a rib, and it was not the new kind with the small incision, I was not a candidate for that. the spasms do not seem to affect me as badly when I am sitting up, which is probably why they happen at night.

Jess

Old 03-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jess,

Wow, i have never heard of that approach before, ever. Posterior means they go in from the back and anterior means they go in from the front. These are the two methods of fusing, but it would appear not the only two methods.

Can you tell where your spasms are originating from? Ie: are they coming from the site of the surgery?

Sorry, did you say you have seen a doctor about this? If not you need to. 2 months is far too long for spasms.

Brooke

Old 03-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #7
Inactive

Racharina HB User

SilverMarble:
Oh goody, Isn't that nice that after experiencing pain cuz of a herniation we still have to face spasms? I had one big one on the Left side that happened right after my operation.

The pain was right about the L5 to the left. It was like a stabbing. Sometimes the pain was so big I couldn't even move. I thought I was having a new herniation since my surgery was performed on the Right side. The pain lasted 6 to 7 months.

[color=red]-[b]R[/b][/color]
[size=-2]-Back Problems since 08/25/2001
-3 Nerve block injections (helped first couple of months, then would wear out)
-Changed insuranse from [i]Kaiser[/i] to [i]UH[/i]. Kaiser gave me the run around all the time.
-Saw new NS under new insuranse. 5 days later: Had hemilaminectomy/discectomy on Right side [i]L5-S1[/i] (07/16/2003)
-03/2004, feel better 50% but still have pain EVERY *@#$%&!! day.
-I am 37 will be 38 on 06/13 [/size]

Closed Thread