HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Back Pain So Bad I Can't Walk (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/156874-back-pain-so-bad-i-cant-walk.html)

miserableinmass 03-13-2004 08:01 AM

Back Pain So Bad I Can't Walk

Hi. I am new to these boards. This is my first post. I am 23 years old, soon to be 24, and I am experiencing back pain to extremes that can't be described in words. I can barely get out of bed in the morning. I sleep on a futon due to my current housing situation. For several months, the bars on the bottom of the futon were digging into my back, but there was not anything I could do. I also sit on the floor when I use my computer. I do not have a computer desk so I use a coffee table. This pain I've been experiencing is not enabling me to think. The other day I had to get out of the car because it tensed up so bad. My girlfriend doesn't seem to care. I ask her to rub my back or massage me all the time but she doesn't listen. I can't afford medical help. I do not know what to do. I walk around all day and keep my pain silent, but someone, if you know anything, please help. Nobody in my family seems to care, so please, what can I do so I can live again?

carol632 03-13-2004 12:25 PM

Re: Back Pain So Bad I Can't Walk

Are you working and do you have health insurance? If the answer is yes, I would suggest you make an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI is probably in order to see if you are having a disc problem. In the meantime, try over the counter anti-inflammatories such as aleve or motrin. Use ice or heat on the painful area....whichever seems to work best for you. Try long, hot baths in water as hot as you can stand, soak for 20 minutes at least. You really do need to have your back evaluated. Good luck and I hope some of this helps.
Carol

injured betty 03-13-2004 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=miserableinmass]Hi. I am new to these boards. This is my first post. I am 23 years old, soon to be 24, and I am experiencing back pain to extremes that can't be described in words. I can barely get out of bed in the morning. I sleep on a futon due to my current housing situation. For several months, the bars on the bottom of the futon were digging into my back, but there was not anything I could do. I also sit on the floor when I use my computer. I do not have a computer desk so I use a coffee table. This pain I've been experiencing is not enabling me to think. The other day I had to get out of the car because it tensed up so bad. My girlfriend doesn't seem to care. I ask her to rub my back or massage me all the time but she doesn't listen. I can't afford medical help. I do not know what to do. I walk around all day and keep my pain silent, but someone, if you know anything, please help. Nobody in my family seems to care, so please, what can I do so I can live again?[/QUOTE]

First of all, sleeping on the floor is better than a futon. When you get up, roll over onto your back and lift yourself up.
Sitting on the floor while on the computer is BAD. Poor posture.
Being tense is part of back pain. Breathe!
Walking is good for your back.
Have you tried stretches? Go to a search engine and look into exercises for the back as well as stetches. Do them everyday.
As for the MRI, I would only do it if this did not help. They are quite expensive. You might try a X-ray if you are really worried about it.
If it were me, I would go to second hand store and find some kind of work station that I could use with my computer.
It sounds like you may just have to adjust some of your habits and it might solve your back problems. :) :)

Ice is good for acute pain but not chronic pain. I would only use anti-inflammatories if it just happened, such as a pulled muscle and then for only two or three day, but it sounds like you might be able to do all this without using ice or meds. Why tear up your stomach taking something that you might not need?

miserableinmass 03-14-2004 08:22 AM

Carol, I am working but I do not have health insurance. Thank you very much for your kind, considerate reply. I will take them all into consideration.

miserableinmass 03-14-2004 08:25 AM

Moonlight, thank you for your response. I do have to change some of my habits, but basically, they're not habits. I am without a choice, at the current moment. Due to my housing situation, I may not be on a bed for a month and at a normal computer desk for that same period of time. This is absolutely brutal. I don't talk to anyone about it because they think I'm whining. I listen to all of their crap about their problems but people dismiss mine in two seconds. I only wish I could afford an MRI right now, because if this pain gets worse, I don't know what to do. A bath is out of the question right now, because it's, well, gross to take a bath in a shower/bathtub other people use. Well, not gross, but it's hard to lay in there and be like, "Aggh." I am going to get out the ice if this doesn't feel better. I am much to young to be this much pain without anyone giving a crap. Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

miserableinmass 03-14-2004 10:00 AM

I really don't know what to do about this problem as it appears I am battling it on my own. My girlfriend does not support me in any way, shape or form and when she hears me mention the amount of pain I'm experiencing, she doesn't even listen. I try to tell her calmly, "I am in pain. Help." Not a massage, no sympathy, not anything. I am self-employed, so I go from sleeping on a futon to sitting on the floor all day. I am embarassed at how my life has turned out and that I feel like an old man and I'm in my early twenties. Are chiropractors expensive? The immediate solution would be to get off the futon or get off the floor...I don't have support from those closest to me, so I am stuck here for the time being. What can I do? This hurts so bad I want to cry.

hawks066 03-14-2004 10:11 AM

You need to get started with a doctor. Even your primary care doctor. I suggest finding a new job with health benefits if you cannot afford them on your own. How long have you been in pain?

miserableinmass 03-14-2004 10:21 AM

I have been in pain for one month. I really wish I had support. I wish someone would sit there with me and say, "It's going to be okay." I am not the type of person to complain. Heck, if I had a broken leg, I'd still do things myself. But this pain goes to my head, it stings to the point that I can't think. Sometimes, I can't even stand up without the help of something to grab onto. I am 23 and feel like 93. I am going to try a local primary care physician when I save a few dollars, in one to two weeks. I hope this is not going to be expensive. I'd give up everything I had to be able to feel better again.

lfoster21 03-14-2004 11:40 AM

:wave: [QUOTE=miserableinmass]I have been in pain for one month. I really wish I had support. I wish someone would sit there with me and say, "It's going to be okay." I am not the type of person to complain. Heck, if I had a broken leg, I'd still do things myself. But this pain goes to my head, it stings to the point that I can't think. Sometimes, I can't even stand up without the help of something to grab onto. I am 23 and feel like 93. I am going to try a local primary care physician when I save a few dollars, in one to two weeks. I hope this is not going to be expensive. I'd give up everything I had to be able to feel better again.[/QUOTE]

May I suggest, that when you do see a dr. to be very honest and explain your situation. If they are aware of your financial situation they can offfer you samples, rx. that are cheaper and even fill out paper work to get free meds. from the pharm. companies. Also, they can tell you of excercises to do for your back with out having to send you to the physical therapist. I am speaking from experience. I have been raising my kids on my own and 2 of my 3 kids have had serious medical problems and I do as well. Also, there are probably churches/organiztions in your area who can provide help...even if you are not apart of their organization. You just have to take the 1st humling step and ask for the help. You could probably get a desk either from one of these places or the funds to go to a 2nd hand store to buy one (as well as a bed.) I know that I have brought requests to my church from friends who do not go to the church and there are always people who want to help. I wish I could be there to listen to you and help, but since I can't I will tell you that we are here to listen and support you as you find ways to work out your situation.

Good luck and remember we care and understand,

Lorie

hawks066 03-14-2004 12:23 PM

Are you just dealing with back pain, or also leg pain? If it's just back pain I recommend just taking a good couple days off of work and just lay in bed all day or on the floor.. icing every couple hours... rest is the best medicine. I was stupid.. When I should have been resting, I was beating myself to go to work everyday although I could barely walk. I got to the point where I could walk straight up and couldn't function. FOr a solid month after I took myself out of work I improved drastically but got to a point where I wasn't making anymore improvements. Go see a primary, they have all the back excersises. Let them know you are financially hurting and see what your options are.. Please keep us informed as to how you make out. If you aren't dealing with leg pain, then that is a great thing. If you are, not so good, but there are pplenty of treatment options.

Standingman1 03-14-2004 02:04 PM

Miserable--Is all your pain in your back or any in your legs? feet? etc..
Does it get better after you are up and moving around a little bit?
Are any positions better than others? Do you have any numbness or
tingling?

All these aren't "tests" but they can provide clues about the sort of thing
that may be going on and what, in the short run, may make sense as
well as how urgent things may be.

Standingman

Standingman

feelbad 03-14-2004 04:12 PM

I for one think that you need to ditch the girlfriend.I know this may be hard for you to do but my god, all of this pain you are in and she can't even give you a little back rub or say a few supportive words now and then to at least try and make you feel a little bit better?Does she make any attempt at all to help you?How uncaring can a person be?i really feel for you.

You have recieved alot of really helpful information from these kind posters.please go see your Dr and at least get things rolling.and he/she will take it from there.You definitely need to be evaluated.Severe pain like yous dosen't just pop in without good reason.just a suggestion,but after my ins co in their infinite wisdom, decided that my pT was just not helping me,it was going real slow,but it was really helping relieve severe pain in my upper shoulders and neck caused by some very large and quite visible muscle/tissue knots.i had to get kind of creative in ways to try and release some of that really intense tightness up there and came up with a tennis ball,placed between my back and the wall.Just press your back,upper or lower,into the tennis ball,and as hard as you can, push against it and kind of move your body around by rolling it behind you.when you come to a particularly bad spot, push really hard in that area and just move rather slightly back and forth and then just press in as hard as you can and hold it there for about 30 seconds.you will actually sometimes even feel the muscle kind of let go after a while.this tennis ball thing has saved me from alot of agony since my PT was stopped.I couldn't believe the difference in the overall tightness in my back even after just one week of doing this once or twice a day depending on the severity of the pain I was having.This might feel kind of painful at times but it feels kind of like a good hurt,just like when you get a back massage and it hurts at first but you can also feel the knots start to break down a little.just a thought.

well, good luck to you,i hope you can get to see your doc really soon,you need some answers here.And please, sit down and talk with you girlfriend and find out just what her deal is.If she cannot give you any support when you are suffering like this,why in gods name are you staying with her?for your own sake, please think about giving her the old heave ho,as you really do deserve someone who really is there for you,you know?Keep us posted, we really do care.Marcia

kootie 03-14-2004 07:36 PM

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Your so young Miserable.......take care of yourself now......I ignroed alot of big 'warning' signs thru the years and now I am paying for it and rather NEW at what to do myself. I have a internalist doc that I really like and he has helped me all he can for now......even with decent insurence I am limited on what to do......alot of treatment I would have to pay for myself or at least till I met a high deductable. Plus with PT I am limited to 10 sessions on one year and pay for the rest so have not taken that route yet. Are there any free clinics around......or some sort of dept in your town that could head you in the rite direction for low income people for medical assistance ? It'll be ok......it just may take time. Good luck !!! And THANKS for the tennis ball tip Standingman1, I have a few tennis ball sized masses in my back that just don't seem to ever go away......hope you can find relief soon in your pain and in your liveing situation. Pam [/FONT] [/COLOR]

flyonthewall 03-15-2004 05:35 AM

Try sleeping on the floor. Get an exercise mat and sleep on that. The futon isn't giving you any support.

sydney girl 03-15-2004 07:06 AM

IT'S GOING TO BE OK!! Please donít give up hope. I was 26 going through this a couple of years ago and I know exactly how you feel - you walk around with chronic back pain and nobody realises the seriousness of it or how much pain you are in, because you look like a healthy, young person and back pain has no outward symptoms i.e you are not on crutches! The pain also affects you mentally and it seems like there is no solution and nobody cares. You CAN get out of the rut!! You need to change your situation and there are things you can do right now:

1. put your mattress on the floor, it gives you better support than a bad mattress base like the futon you describe
2. lie on the floor propping yourself up on your forearms to work on your computer - this is a much better position than slouching at a desk or sitting cross-legged
3. swim - try to find a pool in your area, community centres often include a swimming pool and it is the cheapest, best therapy for bad backs as you are weightless. Exercise is also a proven cure for stress!!! so it will help mentally (just don't exert yourself)
4. Start doing back strengthening exercises, and I agree with everybody else, you do need to see some kind of doctor. I ignored my pain and symptons for years and it resulted in me needing surgery which i probably could have avoided if i had seen a physiotherapist or got checked out before. Its worth finding that money now, because it could cost you thousands of dollars and months off work if it comes to that. Before my surgery I saw a physiotherapist, neurosurgeon, osteopath, chiropracticor, GP, even tried acupuncture. Get opinions and weigh up your options. There is also a lot of free information on the internet

Stay positive, you can change your situation, but it's up to YOU!