It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

Scarlett H HB User
Bad Lower back pain after sleeping on stomach?

This is my favorite sleeping possition, but in the last few years, if I sleep on my stomach I'm going to pay for it when I roll over in the form of an aching lower back. Is this age related? I'm 33 and it never happened in my 20's. Weight related? I've gained some weight in my 30's but am in no way obese. This seemed to come on suddenly, like one night I was fine, the next, I couldn't tolerated stomach sleeping any ideas?

Thanks,

Scarlett

Old 03-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #2

kootie HB User
Re: Bad Lower back pain after sleeping on stomach?

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh my.....sleeping on my stomach.......ever so often I make an attempt at it cuz it was also my favorite...but within 2 minutes I am in agony and I pay for it when I try to get up. Ever had an back injuries....jus wondering....but I'd sudgest gettin it checked out. Good luck to you.....Pam[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by kootie; 03-14-2004 at 07:43 PM. Reason: (oops...misspelled word)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

sgc123 HB User

I was told by my doctor that sleeping on your stomach is the worse position for your back. He said that it put undue stress on the lower lumbar area. I have been unable to sleep on my stomach for over a year. Prior to surgery, I could sleep on my stomach if I put a pillow under my hips. If you can't give up stomach sleeping, try using a pillow and see if it helps.
Jill

Old 03-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User

Hi all,

The only way to comfortably sleep on your stomach is to (1) put something (small) under your hips to elevate them if necessary...but the all important #(2) is to put a small pillow under your calves. This will relieve the pressure off the small of your back. Do NOT use a pillow for your head (unless you have it under your forehead so you can breath during the night....I used to hang my nose over the edge to accomplish that.

Best thing....find another comfy and favorite position. Laying on your stomach is one of the worst for spineys. But is done often because that is the position you need to be in for back massages.

Using pillows to support your body is quite important to a good night's sleep. Keep trying different things until you find the right combination. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread