It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #1

jettsmom HB User
Question Wht does my hip & butt hurt?

Ok, I have this butt and hip pain to add to my symptoms since my lami in december. It's really irritating, it feels like a really tight muscle that no matter how hard I try to stretch it out it won't go away. Does this sound like nerves or muscles? I'm seeing a neuro in two weeks to see if he has any ideas, because right now I see a ortho and I feel like he does'nt really have good reasons for why my nerve pain has come back after weeks of feeling better. (I'm speaking of the nerve pain in my leg) Does anyone have similar symptoms? I also have spondylolisthesis grade1, I've heard that can cause tight muscles. Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Wht does my hip & butt hurt?

I am going to watch this thread closely, because I have similar symptoms...it feels like a really tight muscle ready to go into spasms..and nothing seems to help.
Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #3

jettsmom HB User

any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #4

Dwayne3 HB User

I have Grade 1 spondylolthesis among other problems. My butt and hip hurt alot, sometimes I have very bad leg cramps and pains in my feet. I've researched this and yes spondlylolthesis can cause this. I'm out of work due to mine and from what I can gather so far this is still very conterversal when it comes to surgery. My problem may be a little more complicated due to a vertibrae that never fused right to start with among other things. Do your research and get several opinions before you have anything done as I also am in the process of doing. May you let GOD lead your life! Hope this helps!

Old 03-19-2004, 04:26 AM   #5
(female)

Amy R. HB User

Much of my pain is butt and back of hip - especially dimple area. The si joint blocks and facet blocks dealt a lot - but not completely - with this pain. Well enough, though, to schedule radio frequency lesioning in that whole area - L5-S2, including facets and si - next week. It will take about a month to see if it works, but if it does - or doesn't - I will find this thread and tell you.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
(male)

JoeD617 HB User

[QUOTE=Amy R.]Much of my pain is butt and back of hip - especially dimple area. The si joint blocks and facet blocks dealt a lot - but not completely - with this pain. Well enough, though, to schedule radio frequency lesioning in that whole area - L5-S2, including facets and si - next week. It will take about a month to see if it works, but if it does - or doesn't - I will find this thread and tell you.[/QUOTE]

Hi Amy and everyone else that has a pain in there butt. leg and back .. I had my 1st surgery dec 16th of 03 on the L5-S1 disc .. after a reherniation I had my 2nd surgery January 9th of 04 .. I have had alot of pain in my back, hip, leg and ankle after my 2nd surgery .. very painful to walk .. and really bad when I wakeup in the morning due to the circulation slowing down when sleeping .. I am now trying acupuncture for this pain .. I had my 1st treatment march 12th of 04 and it helped alot with this pain .. actually pain decreased by 50% .. I had my 2nd treatment march 18th 04 .. there is some discomfort as well as mt lef feeling stiff and my calf muscle feels like it had a cramp .. this pain is to be expected .. 3 days after first treatment I felt GREAT .. here I am after the 2nd treatment with some pain .. I really think this is going to work .. but time will tell ..has anyone tried acupuncture? I'm going away for a well needed vacation and won't be back for a week or so and I'll let everyone know how I am doing then.. good luck to everyone .. hope you all get better soon ..
Joe

Old 03-19-2004, 06:14 AM   #7

sydney girl HB User

hi there - I recommend you see a physiotherapist to get some hands on treatment (deep tissue massage etc.) They can also give you exercises and stretches to loosen it up.

The neuro/osteo's expertise is in surgery, so that is usually what they will recommend. They don't often try alternative methods, and these are what can help stop the problem reoccurring.

The butt/leg pain is usually referred pain from something going on in your back (i.e. disc putting pressure on the nerve, resulting in tight muscles).

I had really bad butt and leg pain for years before my surgery and I kept trying to stretch it out myself. It was only when I eventually went to see a physio that I found out I had made it a lot worse by doing that (basically put more pressure on the disc) and by that stage I needed surgery.

The physio showed me how to stretch safely and I will still go to get a treatment if it feels tight. I also bought an electronic massager that you can use on yourself which really helps!

Old 03-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #8

jmstoddard HB User
Unhappy Re: Wht does my hip & butt hurt?

[QUOTE=jettsmom]Ok, I have this butt and hip pain to add to my symptoms since my lami in december. It's really irritating, it feels like a really tight muscle that no matter how hard I try to stretch it out it won't go away. Does this sound like nerves or muscles? I'm seeing a neuro in two weeks to see if he has any ideas, because right now I see a ortho and I feel like he does'nt really have good reasons for why my nerve pain has come back after weeks of feeling better. (I'm speaking of the nerve pain in my leg) Does anyone have similar symptoms? I also have spondylolisthesis grade1, I've heard that can cause tight muscles. Any ideas? [/QUOTE]

OH dear.....this is my first time here, actually searching for info on hubbies upcomming L5 & L4 fusion anterrior and posterior etc. HOwever, in 91 I had a lamenectomy on L5 and after 3 or 4 months of feeling a lot better, started getting that damn "butt pain and leg pain" that is nerve pain. They told me that after runnining some nerve tests that I had sciatic nerve damage probably due to the herniation having pushed against the nerve for so long. I am sorry to say that I hope you do not have this....that was 13 yrs ago and the last 2 yrs have been much worse (I reherniated in L5 and it took L4 with it) just with normal activity, no accident. I have been on permanant pain control medication for almost 2 yrs now because they say an operation wont help me..... (Im seeing my hubbys doc in April for a 2nd opinion).

Melissa

Closed Thread