It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #1

Scola HB User
Unhappy What Medicine For Back Spasms?

Am new to the board and need alittle help. I have recently been have muscle spasms in my lower back starting to slowy creep up in my shoulders they will occur about every hour. I have search to board and the net to find some ways to ease the pain. Stretching - I have done this and it helps to relive the pain for alittle awhile to tends to come back. I have seen that taking in " Calcium and Magnesium " will help. So, I was wondering what kind of medicine would you recommend contaning " Calcium and Magnesium " ? will help with these spasms. Thanxs!

Last edited by Scola; 04-04-2004 at 05:51 AM.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
Re: What Medicine For Back Spasms?

Welcome to the Boards!

I don't know about alternative medicine or medications with calcium and magnesium. But I can tell you that a low dose of zanaflex taken 3 times a day works well. It is a prescription medicine specifically for the treatment of muscle spasms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Georgia]The best thing you can do is to make an appt with an orthopedic doctor and try to find out what is causing the spasms. I don't know of anything over the counter that would help. You might try using heat and/or ice for relief.
Carol[/FONT][/COLOR]
morphine pump

Old 04-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
(male)

greensky HB User

I take Calcium and Magnesium in a product called Calmag. This is not a medicine. I don't know if you can buy it in a local health food store (I'm in Denmark). But you can get it online.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #5

tina g HB User

I bought some from my chiropractor. I think is was just 'calcium with magnesium' or else you shoud be able to by it at a health store - like GNC. I also take Zanaflex - that works pretty well. It's a prescription muscle relaxer. I also agree that you should have things checked out farther. Muscle spasms are typically a result of some other under lying condition.
Good luck! I hope some of these suggestions help!
Tina

Old 04-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi there,

Post surgery spasms - valium will setlte them instantly though this is not over the counter. If pre-surgery im not too sure, i mean valium would work the same but its a worry you're getting spasms if you havent had surgery. This is definately something you need to seek medical advise on.

Brooke

Old 04-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #7
Inactive

Racharina HB User

[b]Scola[/b]:
Have you had back surgery? Or have you even diagnostic with any back problem (e.g. herniation, etc)?

If not, and you are just having muscle spasms, go swimming! It is the best medicine. Some one told me that Yoga really helped.

Also you can take Naproxene Sodium. It is an anti-inflammatory that you can buy over the counter.

If problem persist, go to ortho Dr.

-R

Old 04-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #8

GracieGirl HB User

I have wicked muscle spasms. They, too extend all the way to my shoulders from my low back. I take calcium/magnesium, stretch, do breathing techniques, take jacuzzi baths, muscel relaxers, etc. ,but I still have the spasms. My pm dr. just prescribed baclofen. It is working on the spasms well, but is making me alittle loopy.
Good luck,
Graciegirl

Old 04-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #9

twinkle_mom HB User

I have had very good success with kava kava or valerian for keeping muscle spasms from spiraling out of control. These are both herbal extracts that can be purchased in a health foods store. After trial and error, I only use the tinctures because then I can tell whether they taste right. Unfortunately, if they are made properly with good quality plants, they both taste pretty bad. But when the pain is bad this is trivial. I have tried some brands of tinctures and capsules and they do absolutely nothing. I would have liked them to work because the poorer quality products are generally cheaper. I don't know if it is ok to say it on this board, but I find Gaia to be the best brand. The kava is the most effective for me, but since there are concerns about liver damage with too much use, I reserve it for the really bad days. I hope this is a little bit helpful.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:50 PM   #10

mitoR2cool HB User

Any kind of Ca/Mg that is chelated is more readily absorbed. It is in a form your body can use.

Closed Thread