It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Inactive

rmurf HB User
Question Piriformis release or surgery - anyone?

Has anyone had their piriformis muscle "released" or other piriformis surgery? How did it work and how did you get to that point (as distinguished from a disc problem)?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Re: Piriformis release or surgery - anyone?

Hi rmurf,

The piriformis is a muscle....haven't heard about surgery for that. Maybe some rolfing or other alternative healing method, but surgery? hmmmmmm What is the name of this surgery and what does it do? I can't imagine cutting it in any way would be helpful at all.....???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=rmurf]Has anyone had their piriformis muscle "released" or other piriformis surgery? How did it work and how did you get to that point (as distinguished from a disc problem)?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

(1) underlying biomechanical factors and associated conditions should be corrected; (2) the patient is instructed in a home program of prolonged piriformis muscle stretching which may be augmented in physical therapy by preceding ultrasound or Fluori-Methane (dichlorodifluoromethane and trichloromonofluoromethane spray); (3) a trial of up to three steroid injections is attempted; and (4) if all these measures fail, consideration should be given to surgical sciatic nerve exploration and piriformis release.

I was reading a site that swears that you can do it yourself with a lot of work and no surgery.
I would not do the steroid shots or the surgery. I would devote myself to the stretching.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

My sister had back surgery and it didn't work, tried steroid injections, and therapy nothing helped, so they gave her an injection right into the periformis and did help but not completely.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=Mary Anne9998]My sister had back surgery and it didn't work, tried steroid injections, and therapy nothing helped, so they gave her an injection right into the periformis and did help but not completely.[/QUOTE]

I was watching a Prime Time special last night about medical care of the vets. This vet had epidural shots so many times that it destroyed her tissue and she was crippled for life as a result. But then, her life was not that long as she became infected during her vet care and died.

JUST SAY NO TO STEROID SHOTS

Old 04-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

I have had one series of epidurals about 6 years ago and they did nothing. Tried to tell my sister that but she had them and they didn't help.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I think that when one is in pain they are not thinking clearly and will do anything to stop the pain.

It is unfortuanate that doctors don't inform patients about the risks involved with ESI's.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

I agree, and she trusted this guy so much. I deliberately had her go with me to a couple appointments, and she is very impressed with my doctor, and is thinking about making her own appointment, hopefully he will be able to do something for her.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

tagger HB User

I have trouble with my piraformis. There is a method called ART, active release therapy. As it was decribed to me by my therapist (she is not trained in this therapy) the therapist would hold onto one end of the muscle and (I'm having trouble thinking of the word) run along the muscle with their other hand and PULL it to release it. Not a very good description, I wish I could remember the words she used. It is apparently very painful. I thought OK, no problem, I would take the pain for the relief of the sciatic pain. Then I was told it is not a one time thing. It may take many times to "release" the muscle. Now I'm rethinking. My therapist is very good (she works with the olympic team and will be in Athens in Aug) and she seems to be getting to the root of the problem, but, believe me, only a month ago I was prepared to try anything to relieve the pain.

Of course now that's changed since I fell down the stairs and wrecked my knee. I think I must be accident prone! Now I have a rainbow from the knee down and the sciatica doesn't seem so bad!

Tagger

Last edited by tagger; 04-11-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Closed Thread